Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roland R-07, Part 2  (Read 43803 times)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Roland R-07, Part 2
« on: February 28, 2019, 04:13:06 PM »
It is time for a new thread, Part 2:

Here is the first thread: New Roland R-07 (the best successor to Roland R-05 and Sony M10?)

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=184906.0
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
Re: Roland R-07, Part 2
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 04:30:06 PM »

:cheers:
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 10:57:46 PM »
hey dallman your link at end of other thread is bunk and prompts a post window
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 05:08:17 AM »
Cool. Nice that it became so popular.

Tried to change the subject in the old thread to 'Roland R-07, Part 1' but it seems like it's allready locked.
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 03:21:18 PM »

That link work fine for me.
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline one8ung

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 08:45:09 AM »

Same...
Mics: Countryman B3 - DPA 4061

Power: CA-UBB

Recorders: Tascam DR-2d (4x)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 02:09:30 AM »
just reread last thread top to bottom

edtyre putting on a smackdown clinic!
 :yack:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 02:36:24 AM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline taper2019

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 03:39:06 AM »
Hello,
Looking for some advise on gain level for a loud concert using the Roland R-07.
First time using Roland R-07 and I don’t want to be messing about with the gain level when the show starts!
I will be using SP-CMC-4U microphones with 9V battery box.
So thought I’d ask what level people have found they need to use at shows they’ve recorded with the Roland R-07 and mics similar to SP-CMC-4U’s, also with the gain level you use what are the highest/loudest peaks you’re getting eg. -12 or -6 or 0dB ?
Any help appreciated!
Thank-You

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 07:25:36 AM »
if yoi dont want to be messing with levels during the show you dont want to be anywhere near 0dB

id recommend using the app

Offline taper2019

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 08:10:52 AM »
That’s why I’m interested to know what gain/level people have found the Roland R-07 will give max peaks around -12 to -6 dB.
I know there will be varying factors, like people who have used different mics to the SP-CMC-4U (low sense modded) with 9v battery box, but I think similar mics which have also been used with the Roland R-07 would have similar peak results using similar gain levels?
Yes the Bluetooth remote app works well to control the Roland R-07 gain level with your phone while the Roland is in your pocket, I just don’t want to be having to change the gain level during the show.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 08:15:57 AM by taper2019 »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 08:48:40 AM »
kinda impossible to give you a straight answer even if they know the sensitivity of your mics, because all shows arent equally loud. id start at an input level of 20. thats the advantage of 24-bit you have a lot of room on setting levels. as long as it peaks above 20 you wont have audible noise.

if you want to be more brave and closer to 0db just use the safety track feature first time out

Offline taper2019

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 09:55:45 AM »
I don’t want to use the “safety” dual level recording function, the Roland R-07 FAQ on their website indicates it uses a limiter even if you have limiter switched off.... I haven’t really looked into it to see if it’s both files or just one of them that the ‘normal non hybrid’ limiter is used on, but I’d rather just have all limiters off and manually adjust the gain level myself.
Here’s some stuff from the Roland R-07 FAQ page.

Q:When does the Hybrid Limiter function operate?
A:
The Hybrid Limiter function on the R-07 operates under the following conditions.

"Limiter": ON
"Input Level": 60 or higher

* The Hybrid Limiter function does not operate when Rec Mode is set to "2xWAV (Dual Level Recording)."
* When the Limiter is ON and the Input Level is 59 or lower, or whenever the Dual Level Recording is being engaged, the normal (non-Hybrid) limiter will be activated.
* For more details about the Limiter function and its settings, refer to the Reference Guide (p. 16), "Using Limiter or AGC."

Q:What is dual level recording?
A:
This is a function that lets you simultaneously create two files at different recording levels.
A backup file at a low recording level is also recorded as a safeguard just in case clipping occurs.
Specifically, recording with 2xWAV-16 bit or 2xWAV-24 bit selected for Rec Mode lets you simultaneous record at the specified input level and at an input level approximately 20 dB lower than that input level.
This setting is recommended when the possibility exists that the recorded audio might be distorted if the volume level becomes too high during actual recording, even when the input level has been set. When you record, two files are created.

Example:When the file name is R07_0010.WAV
R07_0010.WAV   :Recorded at the specified input level
R07_0010L.WAV   :Recorded at an input level approximately 20 dB lower than the specified level

Q:The input level cannot be set to any value from "1" to "41."
A:
When Rec Mode is set to 2xWAV-16 bit or 2xWAV-24 bit, the settable range for the input level is 0 or a value from 42 to 100.
Also, when you're recording using 2xWAV, a file is automatically created at an input level whose value is lower than the specified input level.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 10:19:30 AM by taper2019 »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 03:41:51 PM »
well theres one way to find out where to set them.. ;)

is there an opening act? i often use those to dial in a bit

Offline taper2019

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 05:26:38 PM »
No opening band so unable to set levels that way.
OK here’s a serious question about something I realised tonight about the Roland R-07, but I don’t know if it’s odd or not?, I think people here might have an idea of what’s happening?
I had earphones plugged into the Roland R-07 sitting in a quiet room with a television on quietly in the background, I was recording with the Roland R-07 and turning the gain level up and down, when you press the gain level up or down you can hear a quiet pop/click sound each time you press the gain button, I started to notice a bunch of times when setting the gain level up from 59 to 60 and down from 60 to 59 the click/pop is more obvious than all the other clicks, it just sounds like a bigger louder click/pop.
This bigger/louder click/pop is exactly at the gain level (59-60) that the Roland R-07 FAQ indicates the Roland R-07 will switch from ‘normal limiter’ to ‘hybrid limiter’ (that info can be seen in my last post).
However I have limiters set to OFF, so my question is why would the louder click/pop happen to appear exactly when changing the levels from 59-60 exactly where the ‘normal limiter’ changes to ‘hybrid limiter’?, does this seem normal even though I have limiter OFF?
It might just be total co-incidence and have nothing to do with the limiter?, or maybe it is related to the limiter and there’s a technical reason there’s a bigger/louder click/pop right at that point? (even though the limiter is in fact switched off).
SURELY IT WOULDN’T REALLY BE LIMITING WHEN I HAVE LIMITER SWITCHED OFF?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 05:36:29 PM by taper2019 »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 08:33:14 PM »
OK here’s a serious question about something I realised tonight about the Roland R-07, but I don’t know if it’s odd or not?, I think people here might have an idea of what’s happening?
I had earphones plugged into the Roland R-07 sitting in a quiet room with a television on quietly in the background, I was recording with the Roland R-07 and turning the gain level up and down, when you press the gain level up or down you can hear a quiet pop/click sound each time you press the gain button, I started to notice a bunch of times when setting the gain level up from 59 to 60 and down from 60 to 59 the click/pop is more obvious than all the other clicks, it just sounds like a bigger louder click/pop.

the zipper on volume adjsutments is covered pretty extensively in the first thread, as is the fact that noise level goes up substantially at high input levels. note i also noted it was doing some kind of internal switching right at 60

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=184906.msg2266864#msg2266864

that whole thread is worth reading

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com