Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roland R-07, Part 2  (Read 43803 times)

Offline taper2019

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Roland R-07, Part 2
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2019, 04:57:24 AM »
Compare with Sony M10 and Roland R05, the highest gain level of Roland R07 is lower.  Does it also has a hidden menu like Roland R05?  Another problem is r07 will reduce the gain level when use plug-in mic.

What do you mean a problem is Roland R-07 will reduce the gain level when using a plug in mic?
I think you mean the built in mic will be louder than plug in mics if recording the same concert?

Offline taper2019

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2019, 06:57:58 AM »
Hello,
Looking for some advise on gain level for a loud concert using the Roland R-07.
First time using Roland R-07 and I don’t want to be messing about with the gain level when the show starts!
[snip]

Here's how I get a rough sense of how to set gain on a new deck:

Set up my mics in front of a living room speaker, connect a recorder I'm used to running, hit record and set gain to roughly what I'd use at the type of show to be recorded. Turn up living room stereo's volume until I'm seeing levels that I like. Pause playback.

Connect new recorder to mics without changing their position and start recording. Unpause the stereo's playback, and adjust gain to levels I like.

I tend to reduce gain a bit after that, to ensure first run doesn't come close to overloading.

Not perfect, but works well enough.

Good idea, but I haven’t recorded for many years and no longer have any recorders I’ve used in the past.

Offline binone

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2019, 07:40:58 AM »
I discovered that, when powered via USB, the red recording lights, dissapear.

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2019, 10:43:07 AM »
I can't reproduce that, except when I record via the R-07 as audio interface connected to a PC. If the device is just getting power from the PC or USB connected battery, the lights still shows. What is your setup?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 10:51:32 AM by Niels »
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline binone

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2019, 12:25:09 PM »
I can't reproduce that, except when I record via the R-07 as audio interface connected to a PC. If the device is just getting power from the PC or USB connected battery, the lights still shows. What is your setup?

Do you have batteries installed. Remove them from the unit. And operate with the app to start recording.

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2019, 12:54:11 PM »

Do you have batteries installed. Remove them from the unit. And operate with the app to start recording.
Just tried that. No batteries in the unit. Power from USB battery. Still lights regardless of app control or direct control. I’m running latest firmware.

Offline binone

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2019, 08:09:26 AM »
Ok, is not a battery matter. To turn off the recording lights and bluetooth (did´t tried with the peak one), , all you have to do is Menu/ 7 Display/ Indicator>>POWER SAVE.

After 10 seconds, ALL the lights are off.

If you use remote control, you will have only the bluetooth blue one, then, after 10 seconds (or the time you choose to turn off the screen in the R07) will turn off, and when you press record in the app, there is no lights.

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2019, 10:41:17 AM »
.... all you have to do is Menu/ 7 Display/ Indicator>>POWER SAVE.

Wow, yes you are right. That does the trick!

The Menu->7 Display->Display Timer value will define how long ALL lights are on when Indicator: Power Save is engaged.
I have set mine to minimum (2 sec) and all lights turn off after 2 seconds.
Lights turns on again (for 2 seconds) when a you press a button on the device, but not if you use the remote app as you correctly note.

Thanks for identifying that!

Offline taper2019

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2019, 07:51:50 AM »
On the Roland R-07 in menu there is “Record Monitor SW” which “Specifies whether the audio input will be monitored via headphones during recording”. You can select YES or NO.
Does anybody know what difference does it make whether you select yes or no?, why is this choice needed?, I would have thought either you do not plug in your headphones, or you do, why do you need to select it in menu?, surely it doesn’t have any effect on actual recording?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 07:54:29 AM by taper2019 »

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2019, 09:00:47 AM »
On the Roland R-07 in menu there is “Record Monitor SW” which “Specifies whether the audio input will be monitored via headphones during recording”. You can select YES or NO.
Does anybody know what difference does it make whether you select yes or no?, why is this choice needed?, I would have thought either you do not plug in your headphones, or you do, why do you need to select it in menu?, surely it doesn’t have any effect on actual recording?

You are right, the benefits of turning it off are difficult to spot. Could it improve battery life if you turn it off? or disabling one circuit could possible be one less circuit to introduce noise? --- Just speculating as mine is always On because I am always monitoring.
I would only consider turning it off if I only used bluetooth headphones for monitoring.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 10:07:13 AM by Niels »

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2019, 09:59:27 AM »
^ If the headphone output is active it is producing voltage on that output whether you are using it or not. It will affect your battery drain. If you aren't using it turn it off.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline voodoostrat

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2019, 01:35:28 PM »
Just grabbed one at Guitar Center...$149 thru the weekend.

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2019, 03:26:07 PM »
How do you get the $50 discount?  My search turned up a $199 price. 

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland/R-07-High-Resolution-Audio-Recorder-with-Bluetooth-in-Black.gc

Offline voodoostrat

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2019, 06:15:29 PM »
I walked into to see what they had to offer, wanted to get a hands on feel so to speak. They had some Zooms, Tascams and Rolands. The Roland was marked at $149…so I pulled the trigger. I am in OC, California. Maybe it’s a regional sale only?

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2019, 07:35:20 PM »
I'll check the local store. In any event, thanks for the tip!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com