Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roland R-07, Part 2  (Read 43809 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Roland R-07, Part 2
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2020, 04:02:13 PM »
bad cable?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2020, 04:47:05 PM »
Hi there - I recently had an odd experience with an R-07 that I can't get my head around, and I'm hoping this might ring a bell with someone else in this thread.

I purchased this unit a little while back from another TS-er, who even included a mini-SD card with the last show they had recorded on it. Using some spare room on that same card (a Samsung something or other... sorry, not at home right now), I ran a few field tests at home, using a pair of CA mics (I forget which model, had 'em for years), and determined that everything was working fine. Shortly after that, I purchased a set of AT-853 mics w/4.7 mod, from another TS-er, and ran a couple similar test - again, no problem.

I recently recorded a show where I decided go go semi-stealth, mostly for convenience, using the CA mics, since I never got around to getting clips for the AT-853s. The result was a stellar recording. The other night, I recorded an acoustic set in a little cafe, and ran open, using the AT 853s on a short stand, and a different mini-SD card (SanDisk Class 10 32GB). the result was something that resembles a cassette recording riddled with dropouts - not intermittent, but very evenly spaced throughout the recording.

I can't imagine that the SanDisk card is the cause of the issue, but would that cause something like what I've described? In all my years of recording, this is a new one on me. Any ideas? Thanks for any insights, J.

Did you format the Sandisk card in the recorder before using?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2020, 09:11:53 PM »
Sounds like a bad card to me. It's probably the easiest part to check. Use another card and see what happens. That's appears to be the only variable in your story.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2020, 09:30:22 PM »
Sounds like a bad card to me. It's probably the easiest part to check. Use another card and see what happens. That's appears to be the only variable in your story.

lotsa card testing apps in the media forum
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline GroundHog420

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2020, 03:05:12 AM »
Hey there, folks - news flash.... got home this evening and took a few minutes to reassess the situation; not a bad cable, not a bad card, and yes I did format the card for the R-07.... turns out the headphones I was listening to the recording with were the culprit. I was on a train trip and decided to listen back using my little Bose in-ear headphones, which I use for my iPhone and also for my Fiio player - apparently they are not all that compatible with the R-07, though! This evening, I had some time to load the file onto my desktop computer, and listened back on the R-07 as well (with a different pair of headphones), and everything is there after all. So... false alarm, apparently, and I couldn't be happier about that! It was an acoustic / non-amplified performance from a visiting Tuvan throat singer, in a small cafe for an audience of maybe less than a dozen people, like a very intimate living room show, perhaps. I was probably two feet in front of him, and it was truly amazing, if not somewhat magical. I'm really happy that the recording was not ruined, and once the performer has had a chance to vet it, we can decide if it's good enough to use for an official release, or simply share it through online channels. Thanks to those of you who tried to help, but apparently I should have waited til I got back home to assess the situation. Live and learn, I reckon....!
Hey man, that common sense shit won't fly around here, we're from Portland, we're edgy & different or something  ???
she kept playing with the balls for around 2 years after i thought i had seen it all from them.

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2020, 12:18:30 PM »
turns out the headphones I was listening to the recording with were the culprit.

Wow!  Didn't see that one coming.  But glad to hear all is good.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline GroundHog420

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2020, 01:26:31 PM »
Yeah, neither did I! Even though I have never run into any issue using those headphones for other audio devices; I originally purchased them to use with my iPhone, as they also have a built-in mic; and now I'm thinking that part of their design made them incompatible with the circuitry in the R-07. I never really paid attention to the tip before, but it appears to be a 4-pole tip, which I haven't dealt with since my brief run with using a Sharp minidisc recorder some years back. There just seems to be something about the R-07 that doesn't want to get along with them, though, so now I know! If this link works, here's a picture that shows what the tip looks like:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/CSAAAOSwHB5eMM1A/s-l1600.png

turns out the headphones I was listening to the recording with were the culprit.

Wow!  Didn't see that one coming.  But glad to hear all is good.
Hey man, that common sense shit won't fly around here, we're from Portland, we're edgy & different or something  ???
she kept playing with the balls for around 2 years after i thought i had seen it all from them.

Offline Blakeq

• Taperssection Newbie

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Blakeq

• Taperssection Newbie

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2020, 08:44:13 AM »
B&H says “This item is discontinued” for the black version. Wonder if that is true? It only had 2 years on the market, and with the latest firmware it was quite capable.
85$ is definitely an amazing price, only concern would be app support for future smartphone OS’s.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 08:47:42 AM by Niels »
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2020, 11:23:47 AM »
Guitar Center cancelled my order within 12 hours of my placing it after I saw the $85 price in the post here, and the rep I subsequently spoke with said that the model was no longer even listed in Guitar Center's inventory.  I then grabbed one for $15 more at Amazon.  Due to arrive on Thursday.  Interestingly, Amazon's price has since gone up to $139 and the model is listed as being "out of stock." 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 11:29:21 AM by unidentified »

Offline boa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • crowesbase loves you
    • crowesbase:an.amorican.archive
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2021, 01:52:45 PM »
FYI, the Pelican 1010 Micro Case fits the R-07 footprint perfectly and has room for an attenuator cable. Added some pluck foam and the R-07 doesn't move at all.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Case-Pelican-1010-Micro/dp/B001CCZF6E?ref_=ast_sto_dp
Microtech Gefell m22 >  Babynbox > Sony m10acm
Microtech Gefell mv200/m21 > Aerco mp2 > Roland r44ocm

Offline roffels

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2022, 09:12:17 PM »
Amazon had a handful of these for sale at $100 new, so I figured I'd pick up a spare. Anyone have experience with the app running two of these at the same time? Would that work?

The Roland connectivity is flaky at the best of times (constantly need to turn off my phone's bluetooth, turn it back on, reopen the app) but still may be good to have a couple rigs going.

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2022, 01:57:56 AM »

The Roland connectivity is flaky at the best of times (constantly need to turn off my phone's bluetooth, turn it back on, reopen the app) but still may be good to have a couple rigs going.
It has not been my experience at all. You may want to look at your phone. Connectivity has been rock solid on my iPhone 5s and 8.
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com