Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F6 (32-bit float equipped)  (Read 137597 times)

Offline justme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Zoom F6 (32-bit float equipped)
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2019, 12:48:27 AM »
Interesting to read.
It do have some analog/digital hybrid limiters to handle the inputs in 24 bit mode.

Advanced Look-Ahead Hybrid Limiters
When recording in 24-bit, the F6 uses advanced look-ahead hybrid limiters to provide overload protection. By adding a 1-millisecond delay, the limiters “look ahead” anticipating clipping before it’s recorded.

I could imagine this would be a two channel dream if they slashed the height with 2/3. 😃

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2019, 07:08:16 AM »
A lot of the arguments I am reading here and elsewhere that say there is no benefit to recording in 32-bit float
i dont think technically anybody is arguing that it has *no* benefit, rather that it has nominal benefit.

technically it would be better if all the full size mics people used had a self noise of 14 dB vs 16 dB, practically speaking its not really a concern

technically it would be better if everybody running schoeps ditched their cmc6 for XTs, practically speaking its not really a concern

we could go on and on... sample rates, magical oxygen-free interconnects, etc etc

Again, we're not just talking about the overall dynamic range, we are talking about the resolution available to the loudest and softest sounds in your recording.  Why would all of the DAW programs use 32-bit float (or 64-bit) for internal processing if there wasn't a benefit?

rounding errors/quantization noise
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2019, 08:46:40 AM »
I would've liked it to support dual SD cards like the F4 and F8, but seeing how small it is I guess they wouldn't fit.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2019, 08:48:39 AM »
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2019, 09:49:28 AM »

I was really interested in this until I saw that it doesn't have combo Neutrik inputs that can also take TRS plugs.

Why wouldn't they include this really easy to implement and widely needed feature?

When I'm working in the field I don't want to have to rely on adapters and I can only carry so many cables.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2019, 10:12:12 AM »
doesn't have combo Neutrik inputs that can also take TRS plugs

Thanks for pointing this out
Line Audio CM-3, CM-4, Lewitt
Sound Devices MixPre-6 II |  Tascam DR-70D

Team Line Audio

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2019, 10:35:21 PM »

i dont think technically anybody is arguing that it has *no* benefit, rather that it has nominal benefit.

^you actually said on the first page of the thread that it has "zero" benefit...

After watching the vids and listening to the Zoom folks talk it looks like the knobs are faders - not gain - and the individual tracks are recorded post fader - so the knobs on the front will make the ISO tracks recorded "louder" if I'm understanding this correctly.

If I'm not they may only adjust volume of the mix track or the output.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2019, 11:00:52 PM »
This thing is a game changer for live recording. Literally set it and forget it. I'm probably getting one.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2019, 11:11:06 PM »
I've pre-ordered at B&H.  Delivery pushed out to July.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2019, 12:05:26 AM »

^you actually said on the first page of the thread that it has "zero" benefit...

touche

zero benefit for 'me' i guess ;) (as a live concert taper)

for the same reasons i listed
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 03:12:54 AM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2019, 04:29:17 PM »

I was really interested in this until I saw that it doesn't have combo Neutrik inputs that can also take TRS plugs.

Why wouldn't they include this really easy to implement and widely needed feature?

When I'm working in the field I don't want to have to rely on adapters and I can only carry so many cables.

That was a letdown for me as well.  I was really eyeing this bad boy but that had me slamming on the breaks.  Than and the single SD card slot -- dual recording to two cards is a HUGE benefit in the event one of the cards flakes.  When I'm doing 4 channel records, it's usually with a board patch plus mics and I really don't want to lose that option. I ended up picking up a minty F4 with a Portabrace bag off eBay. 
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2019, 10:48:14 PM »
Using standard XLR jacks rather than the combo versions does seem a bit odd, given the F4 and F8n, their most recent pro recorders, both have the combo jacks.

I find it interesting that Sound Devices has the same odd choices.  While the 6 and 7 series had regular XLR jacks only, as does the MixPre-3, the MixPre-6 and MixPre-10 both use combo jacks.  The new Scorpio flagship recorder is back to using regular XLR.

It also may be worth noting that the switching version of the Neutrik XLR-1/4" combo jacks cost about double what a standard XLR jack does.  Then again, my DR-70D has combo jacks, and is far cheaper than anything we're talking about here.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online voltronic

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2019, 09:10:04 PM »
OK, I think this picture shows a possible reason why the F6 uses standard XLR rather than combo jacks.  With 1/4" plugs inserted, there probably wouldn't be room for the internal AA pack without making the whole unit wider.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online voltronic

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2019, 10:07:48 PM »
Audio examples recorded at extreme levels starting around 5:40 in this video.

I agree that the dual-ADC with 32-bit float is a game changer, particularly for people like me who record music with wide dynamic range.  As soon as funds allow, I need one of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=338&v=y4oNd1RgGL0
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2019, 03:02:10 AM »
ok thats impressive but its obviously using a bunch of digital fuckery to achieve it

at the beginning of the vid he says "there are no levels to set" but then says there is a fader

the inability to disable digital processing would be an area of concern imo... and those asymmetric waveforms also look suspect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com