Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CEntrance R4R Compact Recorder/Interface  (Read 10137 times)

Offline adam111

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
CEntrance R4R Compact Recorder/Interface
« on: April 19, 2019, 06:08:26 PM »
Curious if anyone has tried this out:
https://centrance.com/store/MixerFace-R4R-Mobile-Recording-Interface-with-micro-SD-Card-Stereo-Recorder-p121815331

$449 with microSD recorder
$499 with microSD recorder and XY mics
$349 interface alone (no microSD recorder)

Curtis Judd reviewed it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5R470PH2VA

Pros:
Decent pre-amps (comparable to Zoom F series it seems -- except on max gain, see below)
Compact (slightly smaller/lighter than Zoom H4N)
~6 hrs with 2 XLR phantom on built-in Lithium batter (or longer with USB C battery pack)
Simultaneous recording to microSD and phone/laptop

Cons:
no LCD display (no indicator of remaining recording time, for instance)
max Preamp Gain of +53dB
2 LED monitoring
microSD
no mic in with plugin power

I've been looking for a good quality, compact 2 channel mixer recorder with decent battery life for concert/field/VO with dpa 4060s, MKH 8040s, other mics. My MixPre-3 arrived yesterday, but I was disappointed by the unreliability of the USB-C connector. Came across this and now weighing the options for highest quality, most-portable 2 channel XLR recorder.

Any one have experiences with this unit?

« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 06:40:59 PM by adam111 »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: CEntrance R4R Compact Recorder/Interface
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 06:46:21 PM »
seems cool though im not sure why you would need to double up to microsd and phone (in the field), have never seen a microsd slot fail to write

do you need a realtime mix-down or just 4 channels?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 07:06:26 PM »
There are a lot of folks here using the USB-C on the MixPres successfully, so maybe one of them has some advice.

There are also a bunch of alternatives. I have been using the 8 AA sled for my MixPre-6. With two channels of phantom (2.8 mA draw per), two channels of board feed, and the mix, I have recorded for a bit over four hours with only one click on the battery indicator going down. That’s with Eneloop Pros. A friend uses the L-mount sled and loves it. Great pres and loads of gain...

Offline adam111

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 07:19:18 PM »
Thanks Jerry.

I agree, backup/redundant recording is not essential in most cases. The ios/android connection could be useful in other ways (i.e. to see the waveforms, write metadata, see how much space is left, etc) since the device itself doesn't have a screen.

I don't need realtime mix-down or 4 channels.

I'm looking for something in between my Sony M10 and my Zoom F8: something very small/portable with great battery life like the M10, but can accept 2 XLR inputs with good quality preamps. My Zoom F8 is just a bit larger than I'd like for some field recording projects I have coming up.

So I've been looking at handhelds (Zoom H4/5/6, Tascam) trying to find something like my M10 but with XLR inputs vs Sound Devices Mixpre-3/6, something like my F8 but smaller.  It seems this device might slot in somewhere between them, but I'm curious to learn more about it....
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 07:20:57 PM by adam111 »

Offline adam111

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 07:29:43 PM »
There are a lot of folks here using the USB-C on the MixPres successfully, so maybe one of them has some advice.

There are also a bunch of alternatives. I have been using the 8 AA sled for my MixPre-6. With two channels of phantom (2.8 mA draw per), two channels of board feed, and the mix, I have recorded for a bit over four hours with only one click on the battery indicator going down. That’s with Eneloop Pros. A friend uses the L-mount sled and loves it. Great pres and loads of gain...

That's helpful. My experience with the included USB C to double A cable was disconcerting (the device flickered on/off, or the connector itself separated after minimal jostling). But it could be a bad cable.  4 hrs on the 8 AA sled would plenty for most of the situation I have in mind. Hmm.

Offline justme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 02:11:13 AM »
Using an attached AA-sled as power backup to a USB-C power bank as primary works great.
Also remember that you can connect an iOS device to the mixpre-series and use the iOS as a secondary recording device. Mostly depending on how you set it up although you will lose the possibility use a midi control surface.

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 04:27:59 AM »
I have been eyeballing that R4R as well for similar reasons and with similar concerns. I can't wait to hear more reports from actual use.
I am looking for something compact self-contained w XLR and was for a brief moment thinking Sony PCM D10 would fit the bill until I realised how big it was, very un-Sony-like.
The Mix-pre 3 is tempting but with a battery sled it grows, so I'll probably wait to se the specs of the new Zoom F6 before I make a decision.
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 10:58:52 AM »

I couldn't live without a screen showing me the levels and other info and having to use a phone to do it would drive me nuts.

Take a look at the Tascam DR100. It has what you need and is the size you are looking for.

Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 01:26:41 PM »
I have the R4R and it is a great deck. Super easy to use with excellent preamps. Rock solid metal construction. The lack of a screen is not an issue for me at all as the levels are super easy to set, but some people need the meters. You can get the meters on your phone, but I have not even tried that.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 06:58:23 PM »
I have the R4R and it is a great deck. Super easy to use with excellent preamps. Rock solid metal construction. The lack of a screen is not an issue for me at all as the levels are super easy to set, but some people need the meters. You can get the meters on your phone, but I have not even tried that.

I'm very interested in this machine. How would you compare them with the MixPre 6 preamps?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 07:02:58 PM by dogmusic »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 07:58:33 PM »

I'm very interested in this machine. How would you compare them with the MixPre 6 preamps?

I thought the Pre's sounded fantastic. Very much in the league of my MixPre6 which I use regularly. The premise of the machine is to be a mixer and that is why it works with so many different apps, but for me I just like that it is a small very easy to use great sounding recording deck. It is certainly not for everyone, but within my deck collection this  is one that will get used. I think it would also be very good for those that like to mix a sbd and aud, but that is not something I have done very often, so maybe I am wrong there. Also I have found it very easy to communicate with Michael Goodman who is the CEO of CEntrance. He will answer emails and questions.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 08:16:11 PM »

I thought the Pre's sounded fantastic. Very much in the league of my MixPre6 which I use regularly. The premise of the machine is to be a mixer and that is why it works with so many different apps, but for me I just like that it is a small very easy to use great sounding recording deck. It is certainly not for everyone, but within my deck collection this  is one that will get used. I think it would also be very good for those that like to mix a sbd and aud, but that is not something I have done very often, so maybe I am wrong there. Also I have found it very easy to communicate with Michael Goodman who is the CEO of CEntrance. He will answer emails and questions.

That's great news. Thanks for that info. I also think the R4R is a deck that I would use a lot. The design is very practical. And I found the CEO Michael Goodman very accessible as well for answers to my questions about it. This bodes well for support.

One more point about the preamp comparison with the MixPre 6 which I own and like. Sometimes I find its preamps to be a little too smooth. That's great for music but not so much for sound effects and nature recording. Is the R4R a little more transparent and realistic?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 08:26:49 PM »

I do not have enough experience with the deck to answer that question. I think it too may be smooth, but I need more outings to be sure.

That's great news. Thanks for that info. I also think the R4R is a deck that I would use a lot. The design is very practical. And I found the CEO Michael Goodman very accessible as well for answers to my questions about it. This bodes well for support.

One more point about the preamp comparison with the MixPre 6 which I own and like. Sometimes I find its preamps to be a little too smooth. That's great for music but not so much for sound effects and nature recording. Is the R4R a little more transparent and realistic?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 04:46:41 PM by dallman »

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 11:35:55 PM »

I do not have enough experience with the deck to answer that question. I think it too may be smooth, but I need more outings to be sure.

Please post your findings when you get a chance.

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2019, 12:05:35 AM »
Left the bizzaro Sound Devices accessory usb cable in the box, and got one of the usbc-usbc cables from the mp-3/6thread:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSMOMAR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Totally rock solid.

Monoprice 15k ah batt powers 2 schoeps caps for 9:50 before voltage dips in my tests.
8AA sled lasts 4:50.
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com