Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tentacle Track E - 1CH of 32 bit FP recording  (Read 17807 times)

Offline justme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Tentacle Track E - 1CH of 32 bit FP recording
« on: September 13, 2019, 12:07:29 PM »
The Tentacle Track E

The audio recorder is nearly as small as the Timecode Sync Generator Sync E
Does not need a Sync E device to operate – can easily function as a stand-alone device
Uses 32 bit floating technology for a significantly enhanced dynamic range
An input limiter and a high-pass filter guarantee for pristine recording quality

Tentacle Sync Track E Pocket Sized Audio Recorder

The Track E is the newest addition the Tentacle Sync family. The audio recorder is nearly as small as the Timecode Sync Generator Sync E, so it can easily fit in your pocket for recording on the go. This allows mobile operation for example as a recorder for a clip-on microphone eliminating the need for a radio-link. It offers timecode synchronization over bluetooth based on the well established Tentacle Sync technology. This means that the Track E will work in environments where regular wireless transmitter fail. Controllable through an app for iOS or Android, it seamless integrates into the Sync E synchronization network by the push of a button via bluetooth. But the Track E does not necessarily need a Sync E device to operate – it can easily function as a stand-alone device. As soon as the device is turned on, it will be recognized by the Tentacle Sync app and can be configured wirelessly.

The Track E uses 32 bit floating point technology for recording the audio for a significantly enhanced dynamic range. This means that the volume of the recorded audio doesn’t matter. Audio that was recorded too quiet, can be raised in volume to the desired volume without raising the noise floor. 32 bit floating point also means that no digital clipping will occur, making the Track E a versatile set-&-forget-device that will always deliver high quality audio.

"With the Track E users can treat audio in a similar way as photographers use the RAW camera photo format – all details can be adjusted in post production, significantly reducing the preparation time before you start shooting. We designed the device specifically with YouTubers, documentary or wedding filmers in mind, who don‘t want to miss the perfect timing for a shot, just because they need to adjust something on their recorder. But even large-scale production can benefit from the Track E as a no-frills backup device,“ says Ulrich Esser Co-CEO of Tentacle Sync and developer behind the Track E.

The Track E uses a changeable SD card for recording the audio. An input limiter and a high-pass filter guarantee for pristine recording quality. A screwable mini jack connector offers maximum security for connecting microphones. The Track E features adjustable plugin power for supporting a wide range of microphones. A free license of Tentacle Sync Studio is included with every Track E purchase.

Two in sync and you have a sweet setup.
Let’s hope there will be a 2 channel to follow.

Release early next year they say.

https://www.pinknoise-systems.co.uk/tentacle-sync-track-e-pocket-sized-audio-recorder.html

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Tentacle Track E - 1CH of 32 bit FP recording
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 04:01:50 PM »
again they are a bit too generous with the marketing on this

The Track E uses 32 bit floating point technology for recording the audio for a significantly enhanced dynamic range. This means that the volume of the recorded audio doesn’t matter.
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 04:15:31 PM »
Yes indeed.
32-bit float are some very holy bits for the moment :)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 04:47:01 PM »
esp with handheld gear like this that likely doesnt have a super low noise floor on the input
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 02:29:55 AM »
Another device with that 32-bit Zoom technology.
Also two ADCs?
What would I need o do stereo?
Cable? This timesync stuff?

If I need an 'app' to use these I am out.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 02:53:40 AM »
as a "bodypack recorder" this will almost certainly not be available in the US due to patent issues

Offline edda64

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 11:45:13 AM »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 05:57:56 PM »
The price is right at ~250. It seems to kick the shit out of the Lectrosonics PDR in every area including the ability to run DPAs at full power. (if it powers 406x  correctly it should also be able to run full caps with the MMP-G).

I don’t think the sync-E would really be necessary for our purposes because it doesn’t really lock the clocks it just ‘timecode jams’ (kinda syncs the start of them and then they’re on their own clocks). He was boasting about how good the clocks are so perhaps just two units by themselves would clock close enough for the usual hour or two we need.

They are a small kickstarter company. I think we should all write them and tell them how we would all gladly buy a two channel unit. Glad that B&H has this listed on their site it suggests zaxcom wont be able to squash em

theres some good discussion at jwsound, including the niche for a 2-channel device. lets write em!

https://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/topic/34301-tentacle-sync-track-e-new-minirecorders-with-timecode/
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 06:57:44 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 09:10:33 AM »
Two channels.
Start/stop button.
(are level controls even needed?)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 10:13:09 AM »
 hard to say that as some have mentioned everybody has their own implementation of how to address the 32 bits dynamic range in terms of multiple processors in parallel etc. It would be fairly easy to gear it towards your typical Mic sensitivities and cover the whole range up to max SPL but if you were putting anything with a line signal in I would expect to pad it to mic level or consumer unbalanced line level

again it’s a black box at this point hard to say

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 10:14:12 AM »
(dupe please delete)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 03:21:19 AM by jerryfreak »

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2019, 04:21:43 AM »
Someone spied "#stereo" on their promotional material, so maybe it is not a mono recorder??

None the less, I'm quite excited by this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBW5MBbi-uc

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2019, 11:15:18 AM »
Someone spied "#stereo" on their promotional material, so maybe it is not a mono recorder??

I asked on their Instagram feed, and they said mono, unfortunately.
Throw a request for stereo their way if you would buy a 2 channel unit - I did. Perhaps they didn’t realize there’s a demand.
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2019, 11:19:13 AM »

I asked on their Instagram feed, and they said mono, unfortunately.
Throw a request for stereo their way if you would buy a 2 channel unit - I did. Perhaps they didn’t realize there’s a demand.

^
I also asked them for a 2 channel unit...  We'll see.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 09:27:38 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 12:16:37 AM »
Even just having stereo recording like the Tasam DR10L does (with a 2nd channel at a lower gain) would be fantastic for those who want to stick with a 24bit workflow instead of leaping over to 32bits

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com