Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tentacle Track E - 1CH of 32 bit FP recording  (Read 17804 times)

Offline IronFilm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
Re: Tentacle Track E - 1CH of 32 bit FP recording
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2020, 08:09:31 AM »
If you're using this a bodypack recorder (and it looks like it would blow past any competition! Superior to the Tascam, and priced way way waaaaay under the Zaxcom / Lectrosonics products. Although... the new Deity TRX would now be tough competition for it!) then having a safety track mode would be fantastic.

Except I am not (or wouldn't be, anyway). Like most people here, I record live music. Given the choice of "stereo OR safety track", I would choose stereo a million times over. I guess "stereo AND safety track" would be cool, though.

Fair enough, fair enough, in my niche of the world we're rarely if ever recording stereo mics.

I honestly wasn't thinking about a film/TV set workflow, so that makes sense why 24-bit is heavily favored.  Maybe that will change in the future; who knows?

Will be a sloooooooooow transition before 32bit is demanded as *essential* from us.

Remember, there isn't even a single professional field recorder on the planet that does 32bit recordings at the moment!
(noooo... I'm not going to be counting the F6 or MixPre Gen2 series, they're semi-pro)

There are plenty of professional mixers still using the likes of a Cantar X2 / SD664 / 788T / Deva V / Nomad / etc... it will take years before everyone has transitioned off their current machines (or even their next machines, which likely won't have 32bit either, as we could well still be another generation away? Although, it is rumoured the Sound Devices 8 Series will get 32bit first via a firmware update)

And (except for drop bag scenarios) 32bit is not solving any problems that we've got.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2020, 08:45:20 AM »
If you're using this a bodypack recorder (and it looks like it would blow past any competition! Superior to the Tascam, and priced way way waaaaay under the Zaxcom / Lectrosonics products. Although... the new Deity TRX would now be tough competition for it!) then having a safety track mode would be fantastic.

Except I am not (or wouldn't be, anyway). Like most people here, I record live music. Given the choice of "stereo OR safety track", I would choose stereo a million times over. I guess "stereo AND safety track" would be cool, though.

Fair enough, fair enough, in my niche of the world we're rarely if ever recording stereo mics.

I honestly wasn't thinking about a film/TV set workflow, so that makes sense why 24-bit is heavily favored.  Maybe that will change in the future; who knows?

Will be a sloooooooooow transition before 32bit is demanded as *essential* from us.

Remember, there isn't even a single professional field recorder on the planet that does 32bit recordings at the moment!
(noooo... I'm not going to be counting the F6 or MixPre Gen2 series, they're semi-pro)

Merging Anubis?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2020, 09:04:22 AM »

Merging Anubis?

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/merginganubis

That isn't a professional field recorder.

There are only four brands active at the moment in usage on sets:
Zaxcom
Sound Devices
Sonosax
Aaton

You could potentially count a couple more:
Tascam (but they're inactive, having never updated their HS-P82)
Nagra (but arguably they're not active either, having not updated their Nagra VI. With the company seemingly forgetting about their film users, and instead focusing on the Hi-Fi audiophile)

Only the prosumer ranges are offering 32bit at the moment:
Zoom F Series
Sound Devices MixPre Series

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2020, 01:54:13 PM »

Zoom F Series

Didn't Paul mention at some point the the Scorpio and 8 series have the hardware to do 32-bit float recording, but it's not currently firmware-enabled?
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2020, 02:21:22 PM »
Yes he did I wonder why it hasn’t been enabled

perhaps as iron film is saying the market just doesn’t exist for it

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2020, 12:43:58 PM »
i see that B&H now has pricing for it on their page ($349) but no ship date

maybe they will make their june launch target, afterall

Offline voltronic

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2020, 06:20:37 PM »

I suppose that price is in line with their other products, but $700 for two channels is getting quite steep.  You could get yourself a used SD 702T for less right now - no 32-bit, but much better for pure audio recording.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2020, 06:30:26 PM »
^ Two of these are still a heck of a lot more stealthy than a 702, though. Especially in the era of wands and walk-throughs.

[EDIT TO ADD:] A stereo version would be awesome, of course...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 06:32:11 PM by aaronji »

Offline voltronic

« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2020, 06:39:30 PM »
^ Two of these are still a heck of a lot more stealthy than a 702, though. Especially in the era of wands and walk-throughs.

See, that's never been part of my world so I never even consider that aspect.  Good point, though.  Also, I realize that the nature of these Tentacle units means you never need to even look at them or set levels, so even better for that application.  If they ever made a 2-channel unit in a similar form factor, that would really be something.

I can't imagine getting something like a 702 into a venue, but I'm sure people have done it.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2020, 07:29:38 PM »
let’s not get out ahead of our skis before we hear it. we’ve already demonstrated the lack of advantage of 32 bit vs 24 bit in the zoom thread...

in a unit this size it’s quite possible the input stage may be inferior to the other small stereo recorders on the market. remember its intended for newsshooters, for all we know it may overload quite easily
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 11:21:45 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2020, 07:53:59 PM »
Hmmm.  Newshooters might be particularly keen to have a unit which doesn't overload when bombs go off and bullets fly.  Perhaps they might be the user group needing wider dynamic range than anyone, and have the least time for level setting.  Just a thought.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2020, 08:22:50 PM »
perhaps this will be the first 32 bit device to actual offer increased dynamic range. in that package size, i’m leery
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 12:22:39 AM by jerryfreak »

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2020, 05:11:51 AM »

Zoom F Series

Didn't Paul mention at some point the the Scorpio and 8 series have the hardware to do 32-bit float recording, but it's not currently firmware-enabled?

I think Paul said something along the lines of it is theoretical possible and they might investigate into seeing if this could be enabled.

But the impression I got was that there was no promise of this happen, and definitely no timeline of when it might maybe arrive.

Because like I said, there is extremely small demand for this from the post side for a PSM to provide in a professional setting.

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2020, 05:14:06 AM »

I suppose that price is in line with their other products, but $700 for two channels is getting quite steep.  You could get yourself a used SD 702T for less right now - no 32-bit, but much better for pure audio recording.

Hmmm... it is a fair bit more expensive than their other product: $229

But then again, there is nothing else on the market which is as small as this which provides TC recordings!! They stand out unique in this manner. So can't complain about the price?

Plus remember all the bodypack recorders with TC that they're competing against are many times more expensive! (except kinda the new Deity)

See, that's never been part of my world so I never even consider that aspect.  Good point, though.  Also, I realize that the nature of these Tentacle units means you never need to even look at them or set levels, so even better for that application.  If they ever made a 2-channel unit in a similar form factor, that would really be something.

I can't imagine getting something like a 702 into a venue, but I'm sure people have done it.

Tentacles have always had a stereo output, I'm holding out hope it could be a stereo recorder??

Hmmm.  Newshooters might be particularly keen to have a unit which doesn't overload when bombs go off and bullets fly.  Perhaps they might be the user group needing wider dynamic range than anyone, and have the least time for level setting.  Just a thought.

Personally I see these as being a strong attack on the bodypack recorders market, which has always been a bit of a niche area in location sound due to the pricey price of them and also the constant threat of Zaxcom lawyers.

And having 32bits is fantastic for bodypack recorders because you can't adjust/monitor those levels once you've set it up to go.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 05:17:14 AM by IronFilm »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2020, 02:54:03 PM »
up for preorder now, for those who want to be the guinea pig

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1506356-REG/tentacle_sync_track_e_pocket_audio.html

personally not checking any boxes for me right now

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com