Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)  (Read 126339 times)

Offline mixter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2019, 11:16:48 AM »
I have had my A10 for a little over 2 months. Here are a few observations...

The following paragraph contain content regarding  >:D recording. If this offends your sensibilities then avert your gaze or
simply skip.

I am currently running a set of AT853a cards (darktrain modded) MIC IN (yes mic in) into the A10. I like to stack and have
yet to brickwall with this configuration. Would a pre-amp / bb serve me better? Perhaps. But having the extra connectors and
gear and battery charging issues to contend with is a drawback for me. Security at venues where I live is getting to be more of a
pain (walk thrus + wand, walk thrus + patdown, etc...). Spare me the "Back in my day I got a  Revox into Led Zep at The Forum..."
I just don't want to contend with all that crap. This thing (the A10) is tiny and thwarts just about every walk thru and wand I have
encountered even with my mics.

Regarding the battery capacity...

01. The unit will easily record at least 4 hours at 24/48 with Bluetooth engaged.

02. I haven't run a battery "rundown" test yet because I haven't seen a point in doing so. Someone else, please feel free to do so and post their results.
      I still am curious.

03. The unit can be simply charged using a cellphone external battery charger. Simply extend the USB dongle on the A10 and plug it into the USB port
      (technically a receptacle) of the battery or USB cigarette lighter. Unlike the M10, you can access all record and playback functions while the battery
      is charging.

Regarding the battery longevity...

01. If I have to replace the unit in 3 years or so, so be it. The benefits (size, capacity, built in battery, micro sdhc support, and most importantly the
      sound quality) outweigh this IMHO.

02. I figure it will be quite sometime before this occurs. Hopefully 32bit float will find its way into the lineup by then.

I hope that this helps.

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2019, 07:34:20 PM »
Would a pre-amp / bb serve me better? Perhaps. But having the extra connectors and gear and battery charging issues to contend with is a drawback for me.

Just in case you don't know this - a 9 volt battery in a battery box will last for probably at least 50 hours.  Maybe (much?) longer.  It lasts so long, that I really don't even try to keep track.  I just periodically check the strength of the battery after several shows.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline meursault

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2019, 09:09:02 AM »
Using a10 line in and m10 line in will give the same quality recording?

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2019, 09:14:16 AM »
provided your levels are set correctly, there should be little difference

its not the quietest front end, but for our purposes, you prob wont hear a difference
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2019, 09:18:17 AM »
One major difference is that the M10 will capture down to 20Hz while the A10 will only capture down to 40Hz and then steeply roll off.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2019, 09:40:46 AM »
i wouldnt call -4dB at 20 Hz a "steep rolloff"

(vs -1ish dB for the M10)
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2019, 10:07:51 AM »
Fair point (and thanks again for your measurements)!

The absolute threshold of hearing is frequency dependent. Measurements show that humans are most able to detect sound level differences between 2 kHz and 5 kHz (and we're talking very controlled conditions unlike a typical concert experience).

Add to that the fact that most people don't have playback systems that can reproduce the very lowest frequencies, and it's nothing to get too worked up about. However, I thought it would be useful info for those who do care about it. I also have an M10, and will be using it whenever I use my cardioids so I can get the maximum lower frequency energy captured possible.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2019, 10:22:17 AM »
yes of course directional mics used in far field situations are usually not flat in response down that low anyway. obviously a rolloff of any kind will exaggerate that

i rarely roll off frequencies in post, except when i run omnis

Offline mixter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2019, 02:01:26 PM »
Would a pre-amp / bb serve me better? Perhaps. But having the extra connectors and gear and battery charging issues to contend with is a drawback for me.

Just in case you don't know this - a 9 volt battery in a battery box will last for probably at least 50 hours.  Maybe (much?) longer.  It lasts so long, that I really don't even try to keep track.  I just periodically check the strength of the battery after several shows.

Thank you. I did/do know that most bb's run for days on a single battery. Pre-amps not nearly as much.

I've had my pre-amp die in the middle of a show because it did not turn off after charging (power switch built into the output jack).

So....

If I don't need to carry a bb/pre, I won't. I have yet to brickwall with this configuration. When I do, I will add the necessary component back to my rig.

Offline meursault

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2019, 03:24:03 PM »
Thank you for your remarks.
I was thinking of replacing my m10 and ca-9100 preamp with an a10 and ca-ugly 2 to reduce the size of my rig but from what I read I might end up with inferior recording quality. Following your replies I should skip this plan.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2019, 07:51:25 PM »
Thank you for your remarks.
I was thinking of replacing my m10 and ca-9100 preamp with an a10 and ca-ugly 2 to reduce the size of my rig but from what I read I might end up with inferior recording quality. Following your replies I should skip this plan.

Where are you reading that? I'm not sure I've heard/seen anyone give that report.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline meursault

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2019, 02:23:45 PM »
"its not the quietest front end..."
"One major difference is that the M10 will capture down to 20Hz while the A10 will only capture down to 40Hz and then steeply roll off"
I read these comments and I understood that I am losing quality. Maybe I misunderstood, english is not my mother language.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2019, 04:37:37 PM »
none of the handhelds have quiet front end, theyre all about the same. Best as a rule of thumb to not rely on their gain stages if you dont have to

the A10 rolloff comment was an overstatement, read the posts after it.

Offline meursault

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2019, 05:56:49 PM »
 :hmmm:
Just when I thought I saved some money...
Anyone knows if the electronics, the analog to digital converter, etc are on the same level?

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2019, 06:46:02 PM »
:hmmm:
Just when I thought I saved some money...
Anyone knows if the electronics, the analog to digital converter, etc are on the same level?

not sure if youd save money, A-10s are around $200. you cant buy M10s anymore of course but i beleive they were around the same cost new

whether a CA 9100 is equivalent to a CA ugly is a question for chris

i have yet to see a single complaint from a person who replaced their M10 with an A10

if you want to see if you can hear a difference there is A10 vs R07 vs tascam dr100mk3 (as well as the 16bit sony ICD-UX560) at the link below.. the tascam has way better specs than any of the handhelds. see if the difference is audible to *your* ears

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=192831.0

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com