Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)  (Read 129613 times)

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)
« Reply #195 on: June 22, 2021, 10:43:26 AM »
New version of REC Remote for Android promising
Improved stability and performance.

I never had any stability or performance issues with the previous version and don't recall seeing any reports of that here?

Offline hardrain62

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #196 on: June 22, 2021, 07:37:01 PM »
Is there any consensus on the headroom and/or sound quality of the internal mics? I know that taping with internals is mostly looked down on (sometimes for good reason), but I am very curious. The idea of throwing the unit in a hat and controlling it from my phone without fussing with any mic cables or battery boxes is a super appealing minimalist fantasy.
Taping since 2002.

Current Stealth: AT943 > Sound Professionals SP-SPSB-10 > Sony PCM A10

Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR-100, Sony PCM-M10, RØDE NT5, Studio Projects C4, Roland R-05, iRiver h320 (Modified with Rockbox Firmware), Sony MZ-NF810CK Minidisc, Sony MZ-R70 Minidisc, Sound Professionals SP-CMC-1, Sound Professionals SP-EMC1/SP-BMC-12 binaural mics

Offline ol' dirty taper

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've been riding with the ghost...
    • Ancient Earth
« Reply #197 on: June 23, 2021, 12:42:41 PM »
Is there any consensus on the headroom and/or sound quality of the internal mics? I know that taping with internals is mostly looked down on (sometimes for good reason), but I am very curious. The idea of throwing the unit in a hat and controlling it from my phone without fussing with any mic cables or battery boxes is a super appealing minimalist fantasy.

When I first got my a10 I took it to a couple local singer/songwriter shows at bars etc and was actually very impressed with the sound. In a pinch or casual recording, they work just fine.

If that's the rig you want to run, go for it!
Mic : Schoeps MK21 | Microtech Gefell M300 | Beyer MC950 MC930 MC910 CK930 | Line Audio OM1 | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-X Omni | Beyer TG L34C | AT831s
Pre : Aerco MP-2 | Naiant Littlebox
Deck : SD MixPre 10 II | SD MixPre 6 II | Sony PCM-A10 | Zoom F3
Pho/Vid : Sony a58 | Panasonic ZS100 | DJI Osmo Pocket

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #198 on: June 23, 2021, 03:46:50 PM »
I'd say it sounds pretty good for rock and roll. Certainly compares to other handhelds.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline morst

« Reply #199 on: June 28, 2021, 05:47:15 PM »
New version of REC Remote for Android promising
Improved stability and performance.

I never had any stability or performance issues with the previous version and don't recall seeing any reports of that here?
v3.2.0 is now available for Apple iOS as well. Gonna try running it on my M1 Big Sur to see if it functions?! Uh, no.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/sony-rec-remote/id1076809535

"
This app is available only on the App Store for iPhone."
Oh.
Ugh, now my iPad can't find the A10 on bluetooth but my phone still can? Oh yeah I guess I never paired the iPad with the replacement A10 I got after noticing that my balance was not even on the line input.

New version looks identical to the old version, best I can tell. Has it always had "scene select" available? I'm gonna use my two user scenes to set it for 96K or 48K so I can record bird chirps at 96.

Offline colargol

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #200 on: June 29, 2021, 02:43:54 AM »
This might have been mentioned here before...

The other day, before a show, I charged the A10 plugged into my mac. I forgot that it would be connected, so i just disconnected it physically when charging was done. Then the A10 said "The SD card needs to be formatted". I went into panic mode for a second or two...

The solution turned out to be simple. I plugged it back into the mac, waiting till the disks were connected, then ejected them properly before disconnecting, and the error message was gone.

Just thought I would mention this in case anyone ends up in the same situation...

-c
MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

Offline morst

« Reply #201 on: June 29, 2021, 01:18:55 PM »
This might have been mentioned here before...

The other day, before a show, I charged the A10 plugged into my mac. I forgot that it would be connected, so i just disconnected it physically when charging was done. Then the A10 said "The SD card needs to be formatted". I went into panic mode for a second or two...

The solution turned out to be simple. I plugged it back into the mac, waiting till the disks were connected, then ejected them properly before disconnecting, and the error message was gone.

Just thought I would mention this in case anyone ends up in the same situation...

-c
That could save someone's bacon. Thanks!

Offline gmm6797

• Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #202 on: July 15, 2021, 07:20:28 PM »
Quick question.... What are the best setting when at a metal show and a 1 is clipping. Schoeps to an nBox to the a10. Manual on line in

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #203 on: July 15, 2021, 07:35:28 PM »
Quick question.... What are the best setting when at a metal show and a 1 is clipping. Schoeps to an nBox to the a10. Manual on line in

Baby nbox  ;D

The regular nbox is 20db of fixed gain, right?
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline gmm6797

• Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #204 on: July 15, 2021, 08:09:34 PM »

Baby nbox  ;D

The regular nbox is 20db of fixed gain, right?

I believe so.@schoepsnbox would have to confirm.  Loudest show I have used the A10 at. Only my 3rd show. Purchased just before the pandemic hit

Offline morst

« Reply #205 on: July 15, 2021, 11:04:49 PM »
resistive pad cable?
That's what I had to get in order to knock down the signal level from my Beyer MV100 preamp, which has options of +20,+40 or +60 dB gain, in order to go into the line-level-limited Zoom H2 (original "electric shaver" handheld only takes nominal 0.775v on its line in, which is really low)
I found a -11dB pad cable from Coresound, which worked great for me on that setup with minimum fixed gain.
Looks to still be available in -11, -20 and -32dB version.
(1/8" mini female input, 1/8" mini male output)
https://www.core-sound.com/products/attenuator-cables

Offline adrianf74

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #206 on: September 02, 2021, 06:55:45 PM »
Interesting question (and I'm sure it's possibly been asked).  My original A10 was a "demo unit" supplied by Sony to the person I bought it from on eBay.  It has the manufacturing number (and all text is in English) -- this was in the first 300 units made.

My secondary A10 just arrived from Amazon;  it has the manufacturing number along the bottom in the same spot but it also has some Chinese Korean text alongside the English text on the back and a manufacturing date stamped into the unit. Is this normal?  Or this is a bootleg unit?  Confirmed paperwork has a Korean manual/registration card alongside "GB" English one.

I've seen pictures of both on eBay and on the internet.  The Korean models I've seen videos of have different back covers.

Thanks all!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 10:45:05 PM by adrianf74 »
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #207 on: September 02, 2021, 07:02:13 PM »
Interesting question (and I'm sure it's possibly been asked).  My original A10 was a "demo unit" supplied by Sony to the person I bought it from on eBay.  It has the manufacturing number (and all text is in English) -- this was in the first 300 units made.

My secondary A10 just arrived from Amazon;  it has the manufacturing number along the bottom in the same spot but it also has some Chinese text alongside the English text on the back and a manufacturing date stamped into the unit. Is this normal?  Or this is a bootleg unit?

I've seen pictures of both on eBay and on the internet.

Thanks all!

Mine is all English besides the Fabrique en Chine lettering. Serial number below 300, not really much help  ???
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 02:28:18 AM by DavidPuddy »
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #208 on: September 02, 2021, 10:49:02 PM »
Mine appears to be #508. No Korean text or date on the back.

Offline morst

« Reply #209 on: September 03, 2021, 01:39:41 AM »
I sent my first one back to Sony service in New Jersey, due to unequal levels (left channel was low) and got back PCM-A10 #1000694.
It's got an FCC ID number printed on it, so I assume it's for the USA market.

Lettering is all English except it does say "Fabriqué En Chine" in French.
No production date that I can see

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.474 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com