Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 7  (Read 70505 times)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 7
« Reply #195 on: August 14, 2021, 04:06:52 PM »
Interesting - on my MixPre6ii & MixPre3i w/7.14 a muted channel is still red. The brightness menu still says LCD on the left and LED on the right like it did before...are you thinking something has changed? If you didn't delete the old firmware file you can load it - just hit cancel when it prompts to confirm the firmware name and it will cycle through all the firmwares you have on the SD card.
Oh look at that!
There's a little tiny horizontal line missing on the E on the left one, and the rest of it is curved, which means you are correct! Potato, Potahto...
The screen is not all that easy to read for me, but I guess it's my own fault that I could use new glasses and I have the deck sitting where it's backlit in front of a window so there's usually glare.
Plus I keep the brightness settings down to the minimum because sound devices products are as bright as a miniature sun. Ever used an original MP2? Holy shit the red LED lights are bright!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #196 on: August 15, 2021, 10:57:25 PM »
Had tried to order the USB 2.0 extender/port savers but Amazon Canada orders them through Amazon US and keeps shipping them via LandMark which keeps marking it as "undeliverable" for whatever reason.

Can order this locally and plan to use it with the usb flash drive I purchased. Anybody else try this?

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Black-Extension-Adapter-Cable/dp/B00S2N2Q4U/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=USB3EXT6INBK&qid=1629082480&sr=8-3

Thanks.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #197 on: August 15, 2021, 11:20:03 PM »
Had tried to order the USB 2.0 extender/port savers but Amazon Canada orders them through Amazon US and keeps shipping them via LandMark which keeps marking it as "undeliverable" for whatever reason.

Can order this locally and plan to use it with the usb flash drive I purchased. Anybody else try this?

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Black-Extension-Adapter-Cable/dp/B00S2N2Q4U/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=USB3EXT6INBK&qid=1629082480&sr=8-3

Thanks.
I always use an extender, and then I leave that in and have no problems with inserting and removing the USB flash drive from the extender. No problems or issues at all
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #198 on: August 17, 2021, 11:23:37 PM »
Finally pulled the trigger.

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #199 on: August 18, 2021, 08:54:08 AM »
Finally pulled the trigger.

Congrats. I know the feeling when mine showed up. Enjoy!
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #200 on: August 22, 2021, 04:12:17 PM »
I seem to remember someone mentioning in an earlier thread that they had clipping issues with a SBD > 1/8 aux input on the MP6. I'm going back and reading all of these threads again now that I have the unit in hand, but haven't run across this yet. Is that indeed an issue I should be concerned about?

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #201 on: August 22, 2021, 04:19:18 PM »
I seem to remember someone mentioning in an earlier thread that they had clipping issues with a SBD > 1/8 aux input on the MP6. I'm going back and reading all of these threads again now that I have the unit in hand, but haven't run across this yet. Is that indeed an issue I should be concerned about?

I haven't encountered that issue, recorded around 10 shows using 1/8" input plus mics.
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #202 on: August 22, 2021, 04:50:54 PM »
^^ The 1/8" (line) maximum input is 10 dBu, I think. That should generally be OK, especially if you can get the engineer to adjust the levels for you a bit. The XLRs will get you an additional 18 dB, though, which could come in handy if the board feed is hot. You could then run a second pair of mics on the 1/8" although you would (obviously) need an extra box for phantom power.

Offline Grooves

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #203 on: September 29, 2021, 10:36:36 PM »
I’m taping for the first time in 15 years on Friday.  I got a Mixpre 6 II this week and I’ve ready all the post since version 6 of them his thread, but I’m a little in my head right now since it’s been so long.

1. I have two 64GB cards, I was going to record in 32 bit float with two channels.  Is that enough memory for a two set show?

2. I’m in basic mode for the input.  If I turn channels 3 and 4 all the way down are they off or do I need to do anything else?

3.  I know in float you can be more generous with clipping, but any guess where a safe starting point is in the gain?  Hopefully they have an opening act, but it’s my first time with this rig.

Ive got an ankle battery and four eneelop batteries for the sled. 

Offline hipporu

• Taperssection Regular
  • The head - this is the distance between the ears
« Reply #204 on: September 30, 2021, 04:28:45 AM »
I’m taping for the first time in 15 years on Friday. 

1. https://www.sounddevices.com/audio-recording-calculator/

2. Basic mode only 2 Ch 48 kHz Bit Depth fixed at 24 bit and Limiters Always On. Use advanced mode for 32 float.

3. Write LR mix and two iso channels. The required levels can be adjusted in post. Or remix it on the device itself later.

Good luck!
Line Audio CM3 CM4 OM1, MKH 416, MKH 406, BP4029, AT4073a, AT Pro 45,  Ferrograph (Reslo RBL), ECM-737
SD MixPre-6, SD MixPre-3II, PCM-A10, Deity HD-TX, Marantz PMD620, Sony TC-D5 ProII
SD MixPre-D, Dcode PS-T, Sound Professionals SP-Preamp, Church Audio ST-20A

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #205 on: September 30, 2021, 11:07:25 AM »
I’m taping for the first time in 15 years on Friday.  I got a Mixpre 6 II this week and I’ve ready all the post since version 6 of them his thread, but I’m a little in my head right now since it’s been so long.

1. I have two 64GB cards, I was going to record in 32 bit float with two channels.  Is that enough memory for a two set show?

2. I’m in basic mode for the input.  If I turn channels 3 and 4 all the way down are they off or do I need to do anything else?

3.  I know in float you can be more generous with clipping, but any guess where a safe starting point is in the gain?  Hopefully they have an opening act, but it’s my first time with this rig.

Ive got an ankle battery and four eneelop batteries for the sled.

Welcome back :cheers: Things have changed, for the better, but some investment of time is needed.
1. You should be fine, unless it's a verrry long show.
2. Custom mode ftw. For a ton of reasons that matter. Turning down channels doesn't turn them off. If you would like, I can share my settings folder with various presets. PM me.
3. Float means that practically speaking, you cannot over-record. Set them to 11.
The MP-6 is awesome, and is different in design goals/philosophy from the recorders of 15 years ago. Spending time going through every menu was my way in to understanding the different perspective and getting to the point where it all made sense.

Biggest difference from 15 years ago: with enough SD card & battery, 32 bit float means set the recorder and forget it for the rest of the show. For real.

Enjoy!
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #206 on: September 30, 2021, 02:32:38 PM »
Set gain to basic and everything else to advanced! 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #207 on: September 30, 2021, 03:18:40 PM »
Set gain to basic and everything else to advanced!

This in custom mode.  Disable l/r mix (settings > record > record l/r off).  I link channels so one knob adjust both (push knob for channel settings).  I record on a 32gb card at 32/48 often 4 channels and have plenty of space.  I'd say each file ends up about 1.5gb per hour when running 2 channels with no l/r, 3gb when running 4.  If running 96 then more than double that.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 03:27:45 PM by Gordon »
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline Grooves

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #208 on: September 30, 2021, 04:56:10 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I’ll dig in a bit more tonight.

I did a test run last night.  The only issue was I couldn’t find the files at first for playback, but I read the manual again.  I found the input setting to turn off 3 and 4. 

If I don’t have to watch the recording media, levels, or battery life, what am I going to do the whole time?

Offline Grooves

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #209 on: October 02, 2021, 01:09:31 AM »
Just got back from the show.  I did a quick listen on the device and it sounds great!!!!  I had the gain at 11 and it was in the red a lot, but I rode it out.  I’m transferring it to my Mac now.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com