Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 7  (Read 70514 times)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 7
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2020, 10:12:58 PM »
I hate to be the only one posting, but I just noticed a couple things about WINGMAN software on my phone.
You can swipe sideways and get totally different looking meters.
After you do that you can swipe up and change if you're monitoring input or output, I think is what I'm seeing.

Furthermore- the initial screen also lets you swipe up or down to change modes!
#IDidNotKnowThat
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2020, 10:28:28 PM »
Could you run a DAT machine digital out into a Mac and archive your DAT tapes digitally into the MixPre 3-6-10?
Yes, but why bother with the extra step/device, when you could capture the digital feed in digital audio workstation (DAW) software and save it directly to your drive?

True enough. But in this scenario you end up with wav files on an SD card at the push of a record button which appeals to me over working in a DAW.

how is that different than ending up with wav files on an HD? youre jsut using the wave editor app to record.

also unless you have a third party soundcard, mac onboard digital in resamples data, so that in and of itself is inferior to the numerous cheap 2-channel recorders with digital in
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline morst

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2020, 12:05:25 AM »
also unless you have a third party soundcard, mac onboard digital in resamples data, so that in and of itself is inferior to the numerous cheap 2-channel recorders with digital in
That makes sense, I have to choose sample rate & bit depth from the Mac Audio MIDI setup program.
It doesn't let me choose a source to Lock on, and it doesn't switch when I play something at a different rate (for instance, if I choose 48K, and play a CD, the MixPre still says 48.)

Another thing I just found out about is that Mac OS now lets you make "Aggregate devices" and will sync several different sound interface options.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2020, 12:11:00 AM »
That makes sense, I have to choose sample rate & bit depth from the Mac Audio MIDI setup program.

easy to test

transfer a dat with a mac
transfer it with something else

data is different
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2020, 07:09:42 AM »
Could you run a DAT machine digital out into a Mac and archive your DAT tapes digitally into the MixPre 3-6-10?
Yes, but why bother with the extra step/device, when you could capture the digital feed in digital audio workstation (DAW) software and save it directly to your drive?

True enough. But in this scenario you end up with wav files on an SD card at the push of a record button which appeals to me over working in a DAW.

how is that different than ending up with wav files on an HD? youre just using the wave editor app to record.

Yes, of course I would use a recorder with digital in — I have many — but you’re missing the context of my remarks which was an earlier discussion of being able to go digital in into the MixPre units (which don’t have dig I/O) through a computer. I remembered someone suggesting that a forum member not buy a MixPre until they had archived their DATs with the dig in of their 744T. So it now seems possible to do that digitally with a MixPre.

As for “just using the wave editor app to record”, that’s my point: I prefer a workflow of pushing transport buttons over clicking a mouse. That’s just me. It’s no big deal.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline mandodon

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2020, 03:41:58 PM »
I know it's not the usual use here, but is anyone using one of these with the musician's plugin to multitrack. Just wondering how well it works--especially wondering about workflow for recording yourself. Is it easy or are you always having to fiddle around with the touchscreen and knobs to get to the next track etc.? I have a setup with an Apogee One, iPad, and Auria--but one device sounds attractive.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2020, 03:06:33 PM »
I am having trouble with routing channels 5&6 to headphones when doing onboard playback. For example, I can set up preset one as 5&6 only and there's no output, but when I "solo" those channels on their respective channel screens, they work. Any ideas?
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline morst

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2020, 11:46:52 PM »
I am having trouble with routing channels 5&6 to headphones when doing onboard playback. For example, I can set up preset one as 5&6 only and there's no output, but when I "solo" those channels on their respective channel screens, they work. Any ideas?
Have not dug in lately on headphone mixing...  but are they "post fader" so you'd have to turn up the level on 5-6 (using the knob?) There is an option for pre or post.
(Pre fade shows green, post shows blue on the edit preset screen)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2020, 11:07:09 AM »
New firmware (v. 7) has been released...

Offline borjam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2020, 11:18:09 AM »
Interesting: They are adding features from the high end series. It was Mix Assist, now Noise Assist (althought the latter only for the II Series, which seem to be a much more powerful processor).

"Don't worry about the drums. I'm a percussionist, I can play on carton boxes" - Peer Wyboris

Offline morst

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2020, 03:13:55 PM »
Interesting: They are adding features from the high end series. It was Mix Assist, now Noise Assist (althought the latter only for the II Series, which seem to be a much more powerful processor).
oh, joy, a $300 plugin.
Thanks, I'll deal with it in post. Lucky for me I don't depend on my Mix Outs #ILoveISOs

Suppress background noise instantly on-location with the NoiseAssist plugin for MixPre II Series. NoiseAssist is an advanced signal processing algorithm that reduces background noises such as traffic, generators, HVAC noise, and more. The plugin continuously monitors background noise to give you clean audio for the entire take.
Using NoiseAssist is easy and fast – simply adjust the amount of background noise to suppress and NoiseAssist will do the rest. Suppression happens in real time with just 1 ms of latency – no “learning” required. One instance of NoiseAssist can run on any channel, bus L, or bus R.
Get NoiseAssist today for the introductory price of $300. Listen to our demos below"

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2020, 07:52:50 AM »
oh, joy, a $300 plugin.
Thanks, I'll deal with it in post. Lucky for me I don't depend on my Mix Outs #ILoveISOs

$300 seems crazy expensive, but that is HALF THE COST of what I'm being charged for NoiseAssist for my 833

Offline morst

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2020, 03:34:18 PM »
$300 seems crazy expensive, but that is HALF THE COST of what I'm being charged for NoiseAssist for my 833
I'm sure it's fair for what it does, I just don't need that.
 :shrug:

Offline ol' dirty taper

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've been riding with the ghost...
    • Ancient Earth
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2020, 05:38:39 PM »
I joined the team and picked up a hardly used mp6. Read through all 6 previous threads and got this setup pretty easily. Upgraded to firmware 7 and ran a couple tests so far with different battery options. I found using two 8800mAh L-series batteries I was able to record just over 16 hours before they died. Kind of wish the sled was for a single battery facing backwards as it's kind of awkward to fit into a gear bag with two on the sled. Will probably pick up a usb c battery pack. Are there any differences between the Anker and RavPower power banks?

Have it setup in custom mode, has anyone noticed that when you link two channels, the second control knob becomes a balance control? I am unsure where to really place it - or if it is even relevant if I am not recording to Mix L R.

Coming from the SD702T, this feels like just as sturdy of a unit and can't wait to tape some shows with it. As there are no shows here on the central CA coast to S CA for awhile, I will probably start recording the coyotes that howl at night behind my house.
Mic : Schoeps MK21 | Microtech Gefell M300 | Beyer MC950 MC930 MC910 CK930 | Line Audio OM1 | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-X Omni | Beyer TG L34C | AT831s
Pre : Aerco MP-2 | Naiant Littlebox
Deck : SD MixPre 10 II | SD MixPre 6 II | Sony PCM-A10 | Zoom F3
Pho/Vid : Sony a58 | Panasonic ZS100 | DJI Osmo Pocket

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2020, 05:53:37 PM »
Have it setup in custom mode, has anyone noticed that when you link two channels, the second control knob becomes a balance control? I am unsure where to really place it - or if it is even relevant if I am not recording to Mix L R.

yes, i love this feature.  used to have to turn one knob down with one hand and simultaneously turn a second knob up with my other hand to try and make it seamless. 

now that they're linked, the one balance knob is nice to have if you're in a strange spot and one channel is running more hot than the other. 

Although, with the II, in 32bit, i don't think it will matter much/at all.  i plan to pretty much just set up the mics and hit record in 32bit.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com