Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Sound Devices MixPre II-series coming? part 2  (Read 31462 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: New Sound Devices MixPre II-series coming? part 2
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2020, 11:04:26 PM »
im not really sold on 32-bit yet personally, though i ran my zoom that way in the few shows i had it before the world went to poop

i do appreciate the handiness of the modern multichannels like the zooms and mixpres, but the bit depth doesnt seem to be the limiting factor in the all-in ones, where the analog input stage is more of a compromise - in our typical situation you could fix your levels to a conservative level and not worry about it to the same effect

even the best dedicated pre and AD combo (which beats the all-in-ones by up to 20 dB or more in THD+N) cant really take advantage of the resolution that 32-bit float offers.

i did get through a full 7.5 hours at 8x24/192 with the mixpre6-I on FW 7.10 with a sandisk 128GB extreme without a hiccup, but thats just rolling file without real inputs.

I havent used that card in any other tests (and this is a different mixpre than the first one i did all the tests on) - so theres some variables to sort out. It could very well be they stopped the error reporting/file crash behavior and samples indeed are being dropped

ideally id like to see 'stable' operation (100 hrs at max bitrate with sinewaves that can demonstrate no dropped samples)
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2020, 10:11:38 AM »
[snip..] if dither is implemented correctly, could the series I at low level equal the performance of the series II at 32-bit (or perhaps be superior for those who choose to use series II in 24-bit?)

[snip..] the bit depth doesnt seem to be the limiting factor in the all-in ones, where the analog input stage is more of a compromise - in our typical situation you could fix your levels to a conservative level and not worry about it to the same effect

even the best dedicated pre and AD combo (which beats the all-in-ones by up to 20 dB or more in THD+N) cant really take advantage of the resolution that 32-bit float offers.

To my mind, this is the primary question which remains outstanding concerning 32-bit recording:  Is the only real practical difference for tapers that for any given pair of microphones, one must first determine the optimal input level setting when recording in 24 bit?   After which one is able to "forget about levels" when recording in either mode?  24-bit being "set-once-then-forget" as long as the microphones used do not change, while 32-bit allows one to skip that initial set-once part? 

[edited to emphasize the "taping" constraint on the dynamic range requirements]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 10:16:37 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2020, 07:33:46 PM »
I don't have any actual evidence, but I suspect a V3 at 24bit/48 that is absolutely dialed in running as hot as possible without clipping *might sound better than a MixPre II in 32bf/48, exported to 24/48.

But would the end result be THAT much better?  idk. 

What I do know is that hitting record on the 32bf/48 is much easier and less worry and sounds fantastic.

that would be a fun experiment.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 07:35:18 PM by justink »
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2020, 08:02:03 PM »
I don't have any actual evidence, but I suspect a V3 at 24bit/48 that is absolutely dialed in running as hot as possible without clipping *might sound better than a MixPre II in 32bf/48, exported to 24/48.

But would the end result be THAT much better?  idk. 

'better' in out application? probably 'different'. but if you looking at a preamp as what comes in goes out, on a distortion basis

mixpre: 0.005% max (@1 kHz, 22-22 kHz BW, gain=20 dB, -10 dBu in)
that translates to about -86dB of harmonic distortion, with a relatively hot -10dBu input bumped to +10dBu

we dont really have a spec on mixpre in a high gain situation

V3 is 0.0011% (-99dB of harmonic distortion) gaining 40dB from -20dBU to +20 dBU
V3 is 0.0046% (-87dB) at an impressive 60dB gain from -40 to +20

some of the top-of-the-line preamps like a benchmark MPA1, are 0.0002 to 0.0004% (-108 to -112dB) in THD+N

but some people prefer distortion in their sound (transformer pres. etc)
and thats not to say the mixpre AD stage isnt optimized for a lower input level.

for the separate component preamp the goal is to try to get the signal as hot as possible to maximize the capabilities of the ADC

remember that the EIN of all these components are pretty fixed around -130dB. low level signals will always be at a disadvantage which can be overcome to an extent by putting a sensitive cap on a mic with high output (like a 4006 on an MMP-A)

in our application (micing PA in a room with a dynamic range of like 60 dB at best), all of this is relatively academic, and features win. As far as simplicity im pretty sur ei could go into any venue and set the V3 at 25dB of gain and walk out with a good recording (indistinguishable from a 32-bit recording) with levels peaking between -25 and -8 dBFS.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 11:34:56 PM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2020, 11:07:33 PM »
I wish i had a local venue that I could go in with my entire locker of gear and just play "Radiohead - The National Anthem" on repeat and switch out pres, mics, A/D's, locations....  Maybe throw in some Pink Floyd.  That would be fun.

Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: New Sound Devices MixPre II-series - part 2
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2021, 11:12:01 AM »
SD has a guide for using the II series as an interface on mobile devices. They tease that it might work with the older machines as well.
https://www.sounddevices.com/mixpre-ii-series-as-audio-interfaces-for-tablets-and-phones/
MixPre II Series as Audio Interfaces for Tablets and Phones
Posted on December 22, 2020
The following set-ups have been verified with the MixPre II Series, but may also work for the first generation MixPre Series.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2021, 07:28:09 PM »
Just ordered a Mixpre 6 ii... it'll be here Friday. I can't wait to focus on the show and not watching levels.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2021, 03:57:02 PM »
Anyone using a Mixpre-10 with a two shelf Sonicase?  I would love to see a pic if anyone is running this setup.  I'm sure it would fit, but wondering how much extra space would be available.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2021, 04:04:29 PM »
I wish i had a local venue that I could go in with my entire locker of gear and just play "Radiohead - The National Anthem" on repeat and switch out pres, mics, A/D's, locations....  Maybe throw in some Pink Floyd.  That would be fun.
buddy up to some local sound guys, im sure its possible. maybe in some way you could make it worth their while and help them dial their mixes in?

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2021, 01:38:59 PM »
A new MixPre firmware update (v7.11) was released today.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2021, 02:10:13 PM »

This one doesn't seem to have much use to us, unless I'm missing something
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2021, 08:05:34 PM »
Latest Firmware: MixPre Firmware 7.11

Released: March 15, 2021

Change
Default isolated track names in Audio projects are now “Ch1”, “Ch2”, “Ch3”, etc.

Fixed
MixPre no longer becomes unresponsive following Low Cut Filter changes when a channel is off.
Pressing a channel knob no longer incorrectly accesses the Channel screen while in a Music project and connected to a fader control surface with the channel knobs locked.
MixPre M models no longer have to be power cycled before recording or playing back if factory defaults are loaded while connected as a computer audio interface.
MixAssist now functions properly following a power cycle on MixPre II models.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2021, 08:42:53 PM »

This one doesn't seem to have much use to us, unless I'm missing something

seems like a few UI bug fixes are relevant. Remember that mfrs dont always publish *all* the fixes in a firmware upgrade

im also leery to fix-it-if-it-aint broke, as it takes days to properly test the SD cards for buffer errors on these units

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2021, 06:15:40 PM »
I am upgrading to a Mixpre 10 and wanted to see what external batteries folks are using these days??  I have the Hawks-wood battery sled and L mount batteries, but would also like to have external power.  TIA
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2021, 12:04:00 PM »
I’m probably an exception but have never looked back after moving out of dual output Tekkeon’s to Lithium Ion NP1 style batteries and a Remote Audio Battery Distribution System.  I use the Sound Devices MX-Hirose battery adapter on my MixPre 6.  If you are only planning to power a MixPre 10 you wouldn’t need a BDS and could just use an NP battery cup to Hirose 4 pin. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 02:39:45 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com