Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What to do what to do  (Read 5748 times)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: What to do what to do
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2020, 06:37:41 PM »
^ I can only recall a single user reporting SD card failures with the MixPres in real-world use (morst). As there are tons of users, with lots of different cards, I am not so sure this is really a concern. Of course, any card can fail in any machine at any time, so redundant cards are a definite plus, but, at least on an anecdotal level, this hasn't been much of a problem...

It happened to BonoBeats at a show we both attended.  He was using a MixPre-6.  I'm not trying to say it's some sort of widespread problem, but only illustrating why redundant cards is a "pro" for the F8.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2020, 07:39:04 PM »
^ There were some "stress tests" (8 channels at 24/192 run until completion, or not, on a MixPre-6 version 1) which saw failures. In normal use, however, I don't recall hearing about any issues other than morst's (which sounds like it may have been due to defective cards). Those were also with the first version; reportedly, SD increased processing power in the second version and I haven't heard of any card problems at all.

All that said, I really would like a redundant card option...

i didnt really hear of card problems with the first gen either... but testing broke nearly every one

less people have the second gen series, and im unaware of any extensive tests on cards yet, so i cant really assume the problem is solved, absent of evidence

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2020, 04:32:10 AM »
It happened to BonoBeats at a show we both attended.  He was using a MixPre-6.  I'm not trying to say it's some sort of widespread problem, but only illustrating why redundant cards is a "pro" for the F8.

Absolutely, as I mentioned in both of my previous posts. It's too bad the MixPres, and the F6 for that matter, don't have a second card slot.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2020, 04:41:43 AM »
F6 is rock solid with every card ive tried. cant break it at max bitrate. it even has a built-in card testing feature in the menu

if you really needed a backup you could go usb-out to iphone with it as well (48K max)
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Candace

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2020, 10:38:39 AM »
Thanks everyone. I ordered an F8N. Any power recommendations? Which Talentcell and which connector cable?

Offline heathen

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2020, 11:00:41 AM »
Thanks everyone. I ordered an F8N. Any power recommendations? Which Talentcell and which connector cable?

I use this one, and the power cable that came with it or my F8 (I can't remember which it is): https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Rechargeable-11000mAh-14500mAh-26400mAh/dp/B016BJCRUO/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1502479575&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=talenccell&th=1
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Candace

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2020, 12:58:50 PM »

I use this one, and the power cable that came with it or my F8 (I can't remember which it is): https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Rechargeable-11000mAh-14500mAh-26400mAh/dp/B016BJCRUO/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1502479575&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=talenccell&th=1

How many hours can you get running it with the preamps on?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2020, 01:16:54 PM »
The one Heathen linked above is also what I'm using, as outlined in reply to your PM yesterday when I couldn't remember the exact model.  Just popped in here to post the same link.

Although I've never run it down fully to measure total run-time, it runs my F8 with phantom on all 8 channels for longer than I need.. an entire music festival day or more.  I use two of them in rotation for such events and swap between them one day to the next.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Candace

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2020, 01:22:56 PM »
Thank you everyone.

What Hirose adapter should I use? One of the Alvin cables?

Offline heathen

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2020, 02:32:26 PM »
How many hours can you get running it with the preamps on?

I've literally never even come remotely close to draining it.  If anything, the battery is probably overkill for me.  (To be clear, though, I haven't done something like having phantom on all preamps for an entire 12+ hour festival day.  I think the most I've run at once is 6 preamps, but a normal show with that many channels running didn't put a dent in the battery.)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2020, 03:25:09 PM »
^ Many users will do fine by with a battery with less capacity.  If you don't need extremely long run times, form factor may be more important with regards to how well everything fits in the recording bag.

Things may have changed a bit since I ordered my Talentcells, but at the time there were basically two or three basic case sizes and they offered several different battery capacities in each.  The one linked above was (is?) the highest capacity in that particular form factor at that time (one could order the same size case with less capacity at a bit less cost).  It's about as thick as the F8 is tall.

The next case size down is popular with many TS members running smaller recorders, and is likely to run a F8 for I'd guess 6-8hrs (this is a total guess).  It's looks to be the same length and width but is half the height - similar in size to a small external USB powered HHD.

Ted has long been a good go to for power cables as well as audio cables.  Unfortunately, the link David posted above is dead.  I looked briefly but was unable not find the thread Ted was maintaining which indicates power connection requirements for most of the equipment used by tapers (not sure if its the same thread linked above or not).  Hopefully is not lost as it has been a great resource to TS.

I was able to reuse the same power cord between the Talentcell and F8 that I had been using with one of my DR-680s.  I just can't remember if it was the DR-680mk1 or mk2 which use different sized connectors (owned both models).  This powers it via the coaxial wall adapter port rather than the hirose connector.  That connection does not lock, but I keep 8 lithium AA's in the recorder as backup, which never get drained as long as the external battery is supplying power or the AC adapter is used.  Lithiums keep it light weight, retain charge for years if not used, and don't seem to leak nastiness like dead alkalines can.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 03:32:13 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2020, 03:58:48 PM »
^ Actually it could be the power cabling that came along with the battery, a Y + straight cable.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2020, 04:43:16 PM »
 ^^ Lee, are you looking for this thread from Ted? It’s stickied at the top of the Remote Power board.

Offline heathen

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2020, 04:52:32 PM »
I'm pretty sure this is what I use and I've never had an issue with it: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1353406-REG/zoom_dhc_1_dc_to_hirose_cable.html

The custom cable I got from Ted, however, didn't fit quite as snugly so I didn't end up using it more than once or twice.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2020, 07:13:18 PM »
Yes, thank you Aaron!

Zoom F8 (Hirose Port on the Side) / 9-16v / 4-pin Hirose connector / pin 4 for (+) pin 1 for (-)
Zoom F8 (DC Port on the Back) / 12v / Size M, 5.50mm OD × 2.10mm ID / Center pin (+)  Ring (-)
F8N is unchanged in this regard

The DC port connector on F8 is the same size as the 12VDC output port of the Talentcell:

DC5521 12V/6A max.

^ "DC5521" = 5.50mm OD × 2.10mm ID = size "M"
Polarity is the same on both ends (center +)

Although the listing does not indicate the actual size, the hirose cable heathen linked above presumably terminates to a female DC5521 connector as it appears to be designed to work with the Zoom AC adapter.  It's snap-shut case around the in-line connection presumably provides some degree of "lock" when snapped shut.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com