Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Hooke Lav  (Read 4524 times)

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Hooke Lav
« on: September 15, 2020, 10:29:02 AM »
Not quite the usual kind of thing discussed here but interesting none the less - lav mic which can record to built-in storage.

https://tomsfinds.com/hooke-lav/a100-001-i1/

Launch price $98, normal price $179.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 10:31:11 AM by Ozpeter »

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
Re: Hooke Lav
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 03:58:25 PM »
It's not quite here yet - going up on Kickstarter next week.
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 05:20:25 PM »
Will be interesting to see how well it actually works, actual specs and how good it sounds, and if there are sync issues.

They mention using two units simultaneously in two-channel "duet mode", yet do not mention stereo recording capability, which is suspicious.

"Fly solo or pair two Hooke Lavs to your smartphone via Bluetooth for 2-channel input to record and mix different audio."
"Use two Hooke Lavs to override the internal mic on your smartphone and take your livestream to the next level with incredible sound."
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 05:38:35 PM »
i imagine the clocks are internal on those
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 07:50:25 PM »
An email from them today mentions 8GB storage.  Yesterday it was said to have 16GB.  Perhaps they will halve the price.

Offline AnthonyMattana

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 05:39:34 PM »
Hey All! Anthony here, founder of Hooke Audio and inventor of Hooke Lav. Please feel free to reach out if you have any additional questions. In the beginning we had planned on using 16GB on internal storage, but we decided on 8GB. This will still give you over 24 hours of 24bit 48kHz audio recording internally. And just to note the internal storage is used to backup Hooke Lav recordings in real time, this allows for 0 dropout recordings when recording to smartphones. Thanks!

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 11:05:17 AM »
It launched today on Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hooke-audio/hooke-lav-a-sleek-wireless-mic-with-pro-grade-sound

They had a goal of raising $10,000. They're already at over $74,000.

Looks like the prototype design is mostly done. Needs to transition into manufacturing.

Uses a MEMS omni mic element with 69 dB S/N. Based on that, it's not designed for recording very quiet sound sources.

7 hour battery life.

Projected retail price: $179.

Projected first deliveries: March 2021, with regular deliveries in May.

For tapers: Its max SPL before obvious distortion isn't specified. In the video demo, as the speaker got closer to it, there was some obvious distortion in the recording. That could be an artifact of the prototype, the levels that were set, or the phone.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 01:01:17 PM by Len Moskowitz (Core Sound) »
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 02:19:06 PM »
Hey All! Anthony here, founder of Hooke Audio and inventor of Hooke Lav. Please feel free to reach out if you have any additional questions. In the beginning we had planned on using 16GB on internal storage, but we decided on 8GB. This will still give you over 24 hours of 24bit 48kHz audio recording internally. And just to note the internal storage is used to backup Hooke Lav recordings in real time, this allows for 0 dropout recordings when recording to smartphones. Thanks!

hi anthony!

does it use compression? a single channel of 24/48 wav is about 500MB/hr, so i would expect just under 16hrs with a (nominal) 8GB storage

also how do multiple devices clock with respect to each other?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 09:42:10 AM »
One aspect I didn't see emphasised from the initial publicity is that you can use one unit as a transmitter and a second as a receiver - and as you can also use two units to cover two speakers into one phone, it's a pretty flexible system.  But much more related to video or interview use than for the kind of live music recording that most here are into.  Still, it's always good to be aware of a device which incorporates a bit of lateral thinking and which could be a worthwhile tool for some tasks.  Personally I'll pass as I know that I'd be unlikely to actually need to use one -or two - but good luck with it anyway, Anthony!

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2020, 02:18:44 AM »
I could see this little mini omni lavaliere recorder that uses body as boundary, as a possible solution for near-recording of auteur performances in a tight low-profile situation.

They cannot be fully accurate about zero-latency especially if in "duet mode", which perhaps has sync'ing signaling, but no true shared clocking?

They suck at providing technical details and I am filling in the blanks with a wish list....
Seminal project, wait a year before practical use

I want the hearing aid version.
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline AnthonyMattana

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 10:39:40 AM »
Hey All!

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you. As you can see from the campaign, it was a bit of a crazy week :-)
I want to address some of the items and questions you brought up in your post!

1. To 108Ω, I'm surprised to hear you say we suck at providing technical info on the microphone...what tech specs would you like to see that you think we're missing? Also, duet mode allows two lavs to connect to a phone, not one lav to relay to the other and THEN connect which some other Bluetooth mics on the market do. That causes latency, our mode minimizes it :-) Thanks!

2. To Ozpeter, I really appreciate the feedback and kinds words! Yes, it is a bit more optimized for the voice. Our first product Hooke Verse is designed for music recording. Thanks for checking it out!

3. To JerryFreak, yes it does use compression but not in the standard you may be used to. It's a bit different when we're streaming audio over Bluetooth packets and then unpacking from a phone. The device that captures the audio is as important as the device that receives it in our system. Do you mind elaborating on your other ? "how do multiple devices clock with respect to each other?"? Thanks!

4. To Len, the product video demo you speak of yes has me clipping when i speak into the mic. But please note, the app allows you to adjust mic gain during a recording and clearly I had the gain set WAY to loud when I shoved my schnoz right into the mic  ;D - this is simple to fix and was just a quick and dirty demo to show a working product as per the requirements of Kickstarter :-) Also! Hooke Lav uses TWO digital microphones, each designed SPECIFICALLY for high and low sensitivity recording environments. It IS designed for quiet sound sources.

Keep the questions coming, thanks all!!
Anthony

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2020, 02:45:58 AM »
3. To JerryFreak, yes it does use compression but not in the standard you may be used to. It's a bit different when we're streaming audio over Bluetooth packets and then unpacking from a phone. The device that captures the audio is as important as the device that receives it in our system. Do you mind elaborating on your other ? "how do multiple devices clock with respect to each other?"? Thanks!

so its apt-x / ldac / some other bluetooth codec?

as far as clocks, in the digital audio realm, there can only be one clock, a device can be a master or a slave but not both. in both ADC and DAC stages careful attention is given to use the most stable clock source available to minimize jitter and distortion. in multi-channel audio a single clock is important as independent devices tend to drift away from one another over time, in absence of a single clock source. for your target market of more than one lav, it would probably be podcast/interview type stuff where a sample-precise sync isnt really important, relative to a stereo audio source where phasing/echo/etc occurs when sources drift a bit.

Offline AnthonyMattana

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2020, 06:50:04 PM »

so its apt-x / ldac / some other bluetooth codec?

as far as clocks, in the digital audio realm, there can only be one clock, a device can be a master or a slave but not both. in both ADC and DAC stages careful attention is given to use the most stable clock source available to minimize jitter and distortion. in multi-channel audio a single clock is important as independent devices tend to drift away from one another over time, in absence of a single clock source. for your target market of more than one lav, it would probably be podcast/interview type stuff where a sample-precise sync isnt really important, relative to a stereo audio source where phasing/echo/etc occurs when sources drift a bit.

I can't fully reveal the codec until our patent application is published :-) Correct it's not as important and they are not designed to be stereo capture as much as dual channel, mono recording from two different sources which are not paired together but both directly to phone.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2021, 09:28:01 AM »
This project looks dead:

"It is with mixed emotion that I share the IP developed to create the Hooke Lav is being acquired. I can’t go into more detail at this time since we are still working out several acquisition details, but we are excited about what the future holds. This will allow us to access resources normally unavailable to bootstrapped startups."

Backers were promised full refunds.  Presumably something will come to market sometime, at some price.  With some other name.  Oh well.

Jeff

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2021, 09:33:34 AM »
thats a bummer, maybe? hopefully they got well compensated and the tech lives on to be implemented by someone with better resources

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2021, 09:59:47 AM »
You can read the backers' comments on Kickstarter, around 50-70 pissed off people who've been waiting for a while for something that's not going to happen.  It appears Anthony has sold the Codec and it's not clear the buyer wants to make anything like the Hooke Lav.  But apparently doesn't want the codec around in another product to compete with whatever he does want to make (or not make).  I'm waiting to hear what products, if any, will finally be available.  Also for my refund, no date given for when that will be processed.

Jeff

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2021, 11:47:39 AM »
You can read the backers' comments on Kickstarter, around 50-70 pissed off people who've been waiting for a while for something that's not going to happen.  It appears Anthony has sold the Codec and it's not clear the buyer wants to make anything like the Hooke Lav.  But apparently doesn't want the codec around in another product to compete with whatever he does want to make (or not make).  I'm waiting to hear what products, if any, will finally be available.  Also for my refund, no date given for when that will be processed.

Jeff

anything less than (relatively) immediate is concerning

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2021, 12:51:30 PM »
Just got an email from Kickstarter that the refund was made.  Hasn't hit my credit card account yet, but I think I'm not out any money on this, at least.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2021, 05:54:44 PM »
I guess one factor at the moment with all such projects is the worldwide chip shortage, which might well cause delays and cashflow problems for small companies that don't have much leverage with the chip makers.  Wyze are having significant problems at present, for instance.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2021, 07:21:34 PM »
That wasn't mentioned as a problem here, he was just bought out by folks who don't seem to want this product built.  It was mentioned in September in the project FAQ that the reason delivery was scheduled so far out (April) was a delivery wait of 23 weeks on some parts, I wonder what he'll do with those now, if he ever ordered them.  I have had other crowd funding projects delayed by a month or two for this reason.  Maybe we'll learn more when he gives a promised update with more details of what if anything to expect in new design.

Offline hagstrom71

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2021, 01:28:51 PM »
Thanks for mentioning this, I didn't notice the kickstarter email.  This is nothing new for Anthony, the earlier Hooke Verse was delayed many many months.
Maybe he was trying to sell the tech back then and eventually just had to make the product.  Regret falling for it a second time. Will keep eye out for refund.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 04:31:00 PM by hagstrom71 »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com