Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Device recorders/mixers  (Read 1834 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Sound Device recorders/mixers
« on: November 29, 2020, 09:06:03 AM »
Always wondered what types of preamps all the SD recorders and mixers utilize. For example the newer mixpres are called Kashmir. Ok, so what are they? Then I found this post on JWSound forum:

ā€œ664 and 552 are analogue mixers with A/D at bus points (664 has a lot more A/D)
633 and 788T are digital mixers
552, 302 and 442 have transformer based front ends, all the others are transistor.ā€

No mention of the 7XX other than the 788 and no mention of the mixpres or older mixers such as the MP2 or FP24. Anyone know the deets?

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Sound Device recorders/mixers
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 09:26:12 AM »
ive read here that the mixpres have class A preamps. Thats more of a description of design topology than reflective of actual performance from what i understand
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline GLouie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 09:37:59 PM »
I don't have details and Sound Devices never tells.

But I do have this 2005 FAQ from their website, before the 788T was introduced. You can infer what you will from their descriptions.
(attachments)

Offline Organfreak

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 05:21:41 AM »
A difference between the Sound Devices preamps and the preamps used by Zoom in their F series field recorders is that Sound Devices design their own preamps using discrete components. Zoom use the THAT 1510 preamp in all their F series. Personally I believe it's a hard job to improve these high end chips.
Mics: Rode NT55, DPA 4090, Neumann KM143
Recorder: Zoom F6

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 09:46:32 AM »
I don't have details and Sound Devices never tells.

But I do have this 2005 FAQ from their website, before the 788T was introduced. You can infer what you will from their descriptions.
(attachments)

Thanks for this. I scoured their website for something like this fact sheet. Found lots of old documents but not this one. My first SD mixer was the MP2 in 2002 and the  722 in 2005. Iā€™m guessing the 3, 4 and 5 series mixers were the last to use transformers.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com