Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-40 Pre amps and 4 channel ?’s.  (Read 2643 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Tascam DR-40 Pre amps and 4 channel ?’s.
« on: November 29, 2020, 04:36:23 PM »
Grabbed one of these last year when they were on sale for dirt cheap. If and when we ever get back to taping I was going to use it at festivals for 3rd stage stuff. I figured with 3 lithium AA’s it would run for quite awhile. I haven’t done any testing yet. It’s still in the box.  :facepalm:

So how are the pre amps? Was going to use it with my chopped Nak 300’s>Naiant PFA’s>DR-40. Makes for a nice small bag and super quick setup.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 07:24:06 PM by ts »

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Re: Tascam DR-40 Pre amps
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 05:51:59 PM »
I'm happy with them when I'm running a smaller rig. MG M21 actives > DR-40.

https://archive.org/details/dbt2020-02-22.m21.flac24
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 06:02:14 PM »
No issues for loud and rock and roll. There is some hiss when you crank the gain all the way up for quiter stuff.   
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

Offline ts

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 07:23:08 PM »
Bumping a slightly old thread. How do you do 4 channels on one of these? Internal mics plus line in? Can you use external mics and a line in?

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
Re: Tascam DR-40 Pre amps and 4 channel ?’s.
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 08:29:12 PM »
Well i only have a Tascam DR-2d and you can record Mic Input And Line Input using DUAL record function.I assume DR-40 is the same hopefully.

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 09:25:56 PM »
I believe it is internals and either XLR OR 1/4" input. The only inputs are the XLR/TRS combo jacks.
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

Offline crackmc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • nein dispatch says zer is problem mit deine kable
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 11:57:45 PM »
Bumping a slightly old thread. How do you do 4 channels on one of these? Internal mics plus line in? Can you use external mics and a line in?

you can definitely run 2 external mics (or stereo line-in) + the internal onboard mics for 4 channels

onboard mics are decent enough for close field recording, but they're kind of useless if you're not immersed in the sound field
(i'd run the internal mics onstage combined with a FOH feed, but i wouldn't bother hoisting the DR-40 on a stand in the section or at the FOH board)

FWIW my DR-40 is the only Tascam device i've owned that hasn't epically failed
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 11:59:56 PM by crackmc »
you'll love it
it's a way of life

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 10:50:35 AM »
Confirming that 4ch recording capability is limited to internal mics as the 2nd pair on this recorder.

But if motivated and lacking alternate options, I would think it relatively simple to hack by inserting a stereo mini-jack into the wiring to the internals.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline ts

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 01:21:46 PM »
Confirming that 4ch recording capability is limited to internal mics as the 2nd pair on this recorder.

But if motivated and lacking alternate options, I would think it relatively simple to hack by inserting a stereo mini-jack into the wiring to the internals.

I was thinking the same thing, but I’m not motivated enough nor do I have the skills. ;D

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 02:40:13 PM »
I hear that.

To clarify for anyone else coming across the thread who might wish to try it- The internal mics almost certainly use a 2-wire connection, so once opened up it should be simple to splice in a stereo mini-jack. 

Caveats are:
It's strictly an unbalanced mic-level input with PIP voltage on it.  If there is no menu or hardware switch to turn off PIP (I assume not) and you aren't using mics that operate on PIP, you should include blocking capacitors as would be used in a battery box, except oriented the opposite way so as to block the DC bias voltage coming out of the recorder rather than being fed into it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 02:41:55 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Jonmac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2021, 11:06:10 AM »
Have you tried your DR-40 with MP3, mine produces very noticeable digital artifacts, specially on speech, even at the highest MP3 settings.

Wav recording are fine.
Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com