Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to transfer Long-Play DAT tapes  (Read 1764 times)

Offline tbger

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
How to transfer Long-Play DAT tapes
« on: December 31, 2020, 05:19:27 AM »
Hello,

I'd like to (digitally) transfer DAT tapes recorded in Long Play mode, and I'm not sure my recorder will be able to receive the signal properly (because they're recorded at a sample rate of 32KHz).  I was wondering what gear people use for doing this.

I've actually mentioned this issue on another thread I've opened, but I'd like it to be more highlighted and get more answers.  I have a good deal for a Tascam DA-30 MKII pending.

By the way, anyone knows for sure that this Tascam deck actually plays Long Play recordings ?  I do see it has a "REC MODE: Standard / Long" switch on its front panel, but I'm not completely familiar with these devices and don't know for sure what it means.  (I really don't want to get a frustrating surprise after purchasing ...)

Thanks for any help,
Roy

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
Re: How to transfer Long-Play DAT tapes
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 06:46:42 PM »
I have a da-30 (not mark 2) and it doesnt play 32khz tapes at all. 

there are many answers else ware but be advised  there are a few types of LP data tapes owing to different recorders and specs.  LP is quite often limited to portable decks or sony branded decks especially as  I believe they devised the  lp  32khz mode.

best of luck. 

"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline tbger

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: How to transfer Long-Play DAT tapes
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 03:42:32 PM »
Thank you for your advice !  I have a DA-30MKII on the way, I really hope it could handle everything well.  I'm aware there are differences between the LP recording methods, this is probably what you're talking about, Jefflester has explained it greatly on another thread:  https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=194982.msg2346850#msg2346850

On other threads I've been able to find (via Google), the final conclusion has always been to use Nomad JB3, but since my computer isn't the best and I'm not going to upgrade it anytime soon (unfortunately), I need to use standalone audio gear, ie a Solid State recorder that accepts a 32KHz signal.  Along his numerous helpful posts, H2O has mentioned a Sound Devices machine, but it is way, way out of range for me at this moment ...

It appears to me like there simple isn't anything else for this purpose (other than going analog, which I left as a last option).

Roy

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com