Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices Mixpre 10 II extra inputs  (Read 2686 times)

Offline aysvideo

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Regular
Sound Devices Mixpre 10 II extra inputs
« on: January 03, 2021, 04:57:29 AM »
If I need to plug two extra mics into the mini inputs, to record with a total of ten mics, how do I control the levels on the two extra mics?  Unless I’m mistaken, there are only eight input controls on the face of the unit. 

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: Sound Devices Mixpre 10 II extra inputs
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 11:24:37 AM »
If I need to plug two extra mics into the mini inputs, to record with a total of ten mics, how do I control the levels on the two extra mics?  Unless I’m mistaken, there are only eight input controls on the face of the unit.

You control it via the menu and the headphone knob.

So ideally you’d use an external preamp with variable gain or get good at guessing where your levels will be.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 06:10:56 PM by noahbickart »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 11:31:12 AM »
while you can adjust them in the menu without too much trouble (and even link them), ideally find out the max output of your mics or pre, as long as that level doesnt exceed +10dB max, setting recorder levels in 32 bit is really not strictly necessary
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline aysvideo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 02:20:12 PM »
while you can adjust them in the menu without too much trouble (and even link them), ideally find out the max output of your mics or pre, as long as that level doesnt exceed +10dB max, setting recorder levels in 32 bit is really not strictly necessary

So it sounds like i’d be smart to hang onto my old, 2 in, 2 out Mixpre, run the mics into the old MixPre, then take the outputs from that and run them into the Mixpre 10 II.  Am I understanding this correctly?

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 03:07:58 PM »
if you need to run mics into those channels thats a good option

the 1/8" 'tape out' on the mixpre is ~+11dBU max output which is a good match for your aux input. keep it a few dB below peak on the mixpre and it cant clip the mixpre10-II, and will be a nice hot signal with good dynamic range
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline aysvideo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 11:47:59 PM »

the 1/8" 'tape out' on the mixpre is ~+11dBU max output which is a good match for your aux input. keep it a few dB below peak on the mixpre and it cant clip the mixpre10-II, and will be a nice hot signal with good dynamic range

Thanks.  Would that be a better option than sending each mic from the XLR outs on the original Mixpre?  Ordinarily, i would set it up with a reference tone, but i guess it’s a question of whether those mini inputs can handle the line level signal from my old unit. 

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 10:01:04 AM »
You’re much more likely to overload the ⅛th inch if you use the xlr outputs on the preamp.

Thanks.  Would that be a better option than sending each mic from the XLR outs on the original Mixpre?  Ordinarily, i would set it up with a reference tone, but i guess it’s a question of whether those mini inputs can handle the line level signal from my old unit.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2021, 11:17:24 PM »

You control it via the menu and the headphone knob.

So ideally you’d use an external preamp with variable gain or get good at guessing where your levels will be.

Couldn't you just record in 32bitF and not worry about gain?  I've never used my Aux input.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com