Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Rode Wireless Go II dual transmitter system also records in stereo  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
https://www.rode.com/microphones/wireless/wirelessgoii

I wonder whether the release of this device has anything to do with the Hooke Lav device being discontinued.

In essence, it's two long-range wireless mics, together with a dual channel wireless receiver which can output to just about any recording system (phones included), but the transmitters (which can accept 3.5mm mic inputs as well as having their own omnis built in) can themselves record.

At a stretch this could be relevant for stealth concert taping (have a couple of friends standing spaced apart - socially distanced! -  in a good location with the tiny transmitters, and you could be recording to a phone elsewhere in the venue), but in any event, it looks like a pretty neat and cost-effective little rig.  The sort of thing that I wish I could think of an excuse to purchase...

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: New Rode Wireless Go II dual transmitter system also records in stereo
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 07:30:12 PM »
It does look suspiciously similar to the now-defunct Hooke Lav system.  :hmmm:

Very light on specs on what is going on under the hood on the digital side. How much is the audio being compressed by the transmitters?

Safety tracks are surprising to see.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 07:53:31 PM »
Yeah, I’d be curious about the specs.  I’d be interested in using the transmitters for a board feed when the board is on or behind the stage, if the quality is good enough.  Avoid having to run cables across the room.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 08:10:03 PM »
By the way, I've emailed them to point our that their adverts and help pages are totally confused between mono and stereo - for instance,

"When there are two meters, you are in mono mode. This means that each transmitter's output is being recorded onto separate channels (left and right) on the Wireless GO II’s output, which can be processed individually in post-production. This is great for two-person interviews where you need to be able to edit and mix each sound source independently.

When there is just one meter, you are in stereo mode."

Graphics illustrating mono and stereo working are also garbled.  Hopefully that's just the usual problem of marketing people trying to understand what the tech people have created...  As for specs, they mention 24 bits and 48kHz but that's obviously not the whole story.

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 03:20:22 AM »
It does look suspiciously similar to the now-defunct Hooke Lav system.  :hmmm:

When RØDE introduced the original RØDE GO two years ago, the comments sections on their social media channels where overflowing with request from videographers wanting to be able to receive two channels instead of one. I think they are answering that demand.
That the transmitters have recording capabilities makes it a very interesting product, especially in cases where there may be interference in the transmission - which was not uncommon with the original GO.
It looks like the associated app has the ability to visually identify gabs or interference in the transmission.
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 05:42:48 AM »
According to the B&H video on this system, audio can be exported from the transmitters in 32 bit float...  That video actually explains a lot, see https://youtu.be/Opd0qfjhNvI and also Rode's own videos (2 of them).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 05:49:46 AM by Ozpeter »

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 06:19:49 AM »
According to the B&H video on this system, audio can be exported from the transmitters in 32 bit float...  That video actually explains a lot, see https://youtu.be/Opd0qfjhNvI and also Rode's own videos (2 of them).

Wow, I am MUCH more impressed with this product after watching that video.

The big unanswered question for music recording is the dynamic range of the 3.5 mm inputs on the transmitters given that this system seems to be aimed at speech recording.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 08:15:45 AM »
Also, I wonder whether the 32 bit float is just 16 bit with zeros added... or am I being cynical?! 

I guess one could make up a suitable Y lead to connect a stereo mic to both transmitters.  Or something.

Gear lust.  Don't you just hate it?!

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 08:41:02 AM »
Can the inputs handle a line level? Also it seems like running two units into one receiver will introduce an alignment headache with different clocks, but i don't know enough about it to understand.

I'll wait until Sony comes out with the 32 bit A10, but this product is game changing for two person interview format video.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
At least Rode presented a new firmware update which offers the recorders to be recording on their own without transmitting.
Turning them into mini field recorders.

https://mobile.twitter.com/rodemics/status/1377020636426510340

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2021, 08:32:22 PM »
Can the inputs handle a line level? Also it seems like running two units into one receiver will introduce an alignment headache with different clocks, but i don't know enough about it to understand.

I'll wait until Sony comes out with the 32 bit A10, but this product is game changing for two person interview format video.

per the current datasheet the max input is -20 dbV. so you'll be padding a line signal quite a bit

as an aside, a 32-bit A10 will add nothing over the 24-bit version that has a dynamic range of around 16 bits
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2021, 08:52:48 PM »
Also, I wonder whether the 32 bit float is just 16 bit with zeros added... or am I being cynical?! 
it is, basically. it doesnt record in 32-bit. it exports 24-bit in a 32-bit float format
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 02:46:17 PM »
i asked Rode support about the PIP specs. they said 3.1V but did not specify at what resistance

when i asked "at what resistance" they provided this fabulous non-answer: "3.1V is measured when connecting a lavalier microphone. However, the load usually drops the voltage as it pulls current. Unfortunately, this is the only information we are provide by our engineering team."
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 08:06:12 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2021, 02:23:52 AM »
Optimized for Brit TV Duologues !     :laugh:
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com