Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping @ RR  (Read 2752 times)

Offline Top Hat

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Taping @ RR
« on: May 31, 2021, 01:04:33 PM »
Went through and read some great info for taping @ Red Rocks..What I have gathered is there is still some debate between mic config's. I have AKG mics 61's 63's and ck8's to choose from or a combination of. Instincts tell me to run the 61's due to the possibility of wind phasing but want to incorporate the shotguns into the mix weather pending. Any advice you can give this rookie?

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Re: Taping @ RR
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 02:38:10 PM »
Run cards!! 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 04:27:21 PM »
If positioning allows for a wide enough distance between capsules for it to give a decent stereo image, the math says that subcards (hypo not hyper!) & omni mics are less sensitive to wind than more directional patterns.
Personally, I run my mic stand AS LOW AS POSSIBLE at RR, due to wind. I'd rather have a chance for peoples' heads to block some gusts.
Be ready for early and potentially persistent rain. It often blasts you then clears up before the music starts.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 11:59:15 AM »
morst's point should be emphasized again: bring the largest, most wind reducing windscreens you have. The closer to the stage, the better as far as wind reduction. If you are near the SBD or OTS for those type of acts, run low use thick windscreens.

So, to summarize: at Red Rocks, the wind and rain/hail/lightning storms are more of a factor than which config to run.
PS- I would avoid ck8's there, any wind gusts get exacerbated resulting in audible "phasiness". The overall sound quality is so good IMO, results of recording depend on location, weather, gear in that order.

music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Top Hat

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 01:50:23 AM »
Noted.. Great advice. I'm thinking running low and small so that I could just place a garbage bag over the gear entirely with the dead rats sticking out of the bags holes. I run the mics active and use an H6 all fixed to a expandable Manfrotto boom stick

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 03:24:30 PM »
Noted.. Great advice. I'm thinking running low and small so that I could just place a garbage bag over the gear entirely with the dead rats sticking out of the bags holes. I run the mics active and use an H6 all fixed to a expandable Manfrotto boom stick
Bags could make flapping sounds, and in this configuration will not protect the mics from moisture, so I'd advise affixing a pop-up umbrella to your stand, and being ready to pop it up.
I do think it's a good idea to keep the recorder in a water resistant bag.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Hellion

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 08:30:44 PM »
On a side note, be ready for/take into consideration the physical impact the elevation can have on your health.  Throw in a hot sunny day to the thin air...  You will want to be prepared.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 09:08:14 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My wife had a bad asthma reaction up there. The air is thin, you are more than a mile high (You are looking DOWN on Denver up there)
Hellion is right, be aware of your surroundings. Hydrate, sungear, sunscreen, H2O etc.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Top Hat

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 11:47:54 PM »
Thanks' for all the insight.. Truth!! RR is not for the faint of heart. First experience 1985 GD def worked my ass. I live in SLC @ 4800' and it is as dry or dryer heat and UV index as RR. Never taped there though but I have done video. https://youtu.be/pmNe9P-I9fc

Taking note of the umbrella.

Offline Top Hat

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 02:34:40 PM »
If positioning allows for a wide enough distance between capsules for it to give a decent stereo image, the math says that subcards (hypo not hyper!) & omni mics are less sensitive to wind than more directional patterns.
Personally, I run my mic stand AS LOW AS POSSIBLE at RR, due to wind. I'd rather have a chance for peoples' heads to block some gusts.
Be ready for early and potentially persistent rain. It often blasts you then clears up before the music starts.

Which stereo technique you think would be best running cards.. ORTF, NOS, PAS, Spaced?

Offline Top Hat

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 03:01:01 PM »
https://redrocks.co/rules/

Umbrellas are Verboten @ Red Rocks as well as gaffers tape...Cant remember that I have ever seen any there. I have seen use of plastic baggies surrounding the XLR and bodies. We will be running actives, the caps will likely be protected by the Dead Rats and just need to protect where the connection from cable to cap..Recorder will stay in the pelican case  and if it rains i can close it up and cover it. Think that might suffice?

Offline BonoBeats

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Band- Funk Pocket
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2021, 01:26:47 AM »
https://redrocks.co/rules/

Umbrellas are Verboten @ Red Rocks as well as gaffers tape...Cant remember that I have ever seen any there. I have seen use of plastic baggies surrounding the XLR and bodies. We will be running actives, the caps will likely be protected by the Dead Rats and just need to protect where the connection from cable to cap..Recorder will stay in the pelican case  and if it rains i can close it up and cover it. Think that might suffice?

Gaffers or electrical tape over the mix/XLR connection.

As far as patterns- I like running wide (and omnis), but any of the mentioned will pull a good tape there.
Now You See Me Telefunken M60 Masters/ADK Cremona 251>MixPre6
Now You Don't    Naiant XX or MS-TFB-2-MKII>SP-SB10>Roland R05

Offline Top Hat

• Taperssection Newbie

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.119 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com