Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Make my Schoeps actives XLR capable.  (Read 2492 times)

Offline voodoostrat

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Regular
Make my Schoeps actives XLR capable.
« on: June 04, 2021, 03:31:45 PM »
Greetings,

I recently bought a pair of Beyers and needed a deck with XLR inputs, I opted to get a Zoom F6. This is my first XLR deck....so I’m thinking how can I get my Schoeps to work on this rig. For the last 7 years I’ve run nothing but Schoeps > Actives > TinyBox > M10. I’m thinking my life would be simpler if I could just use the Zoom for the 2 sets of Mics and still have 2 CHs left for a SBD feed. I’ve spent the last week or so trying to figure it...have Nick make a cable and a Naiant PFA or IPF (sounds like beers) ect ect. Tried to look on Jon’s site and it seems like he’s shut it down. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Maybe just get Schoeps bodies?

Thanks,

Strat

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
Re: Make my Schoeps actives XLR capable.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 03:37:20 PM »
https://naiant.com/pfa-specification/
I have heard you can still email Jon with your request
and then have the PFAs drop shipped to Nick

if you want bodies... look at the cmc1s

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 03:43:41 PM »
You should just be able to run the tinybox into the recorder (no 48v) with a 3.5mm to dual XLR cable. This is how I run my babynbox with mixpre 6, except with a mini XLR on the nbox side.

I only use my PFAs as backup as I have had one go out before
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 04:13:53 PM by DavidPuddy »
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline BradleyJY15

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 04:11:03 PM »
I just ordered some PFAs today from Jon to send Nick to make some active cables...You will just need to email him as was previously stated...

Offline voodoostrat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 10:54:32 PM »
https://naiant.com/pfa-specification/
I have heard you can still email Jon with your request
and then have the PFAs drop shipped to Nick

if you want bodies... look at the cmc1s

Thanks, Darby.

I reached out to Jon to get the specifics.

Boy those CMC1's look killer, gotta start saving.

Offline voodoostrat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 11:02:02 PM »
You should just be able to run the tinybox into the recorder (no 48v) with a 3.5mm to dual XLR cable. This is how I run my babynbox with mixpre 6, except with a mini XLR on the nbox side.

I am not quite sure I understand this theory...so the TB will be 'off' but the signal will still pass thru the TB? Would this apply to all TB's or custom versions with specific features?

Thanks, David

Offline voodoostrat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 11:04:38 PM »
I just ordered some PFAs today from Jon to send Nick to make some active cables...You will just need to email him as was previously stated...

Bradley, thanks for the reply. I reached out to both Jon and Nick today.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2021, 12:31:55 PM »

I am not quite sure I understand this theory...so the TB will be 'off' but the signal will still pass thru the TB? Would this apply to all TB's or custom versions with specific features?

Thanks, David

Sorry for not being clear..I was thinking you could run your actives into the tinybox (using it to power the actives and a minimal amount of gain necessary to keep it operational) and plug the tinybox into the F6 using a 3.5mm to 2x XLR cable. This would let you use the actives and tinybox with the F6 without needing phantom power from the F6. Maybe there is something I am missing here.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2021, 08:55:43 PM »

Thanks, David

Sorry for not being clear..I was thinking you could run your actives into the tinybox (using it to power the actives and a minimal amount of gain necessary to keep it operational) and plug the tinybox into the F6 using a 3.5mm to 2x XLR cable. This would let you use the actives and tinybox with the F6 without needing phantom power from the F6. Maybe there is something I am missing here.

Make sure P48 is turned OFF on those channels.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline voodoostrat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2021, 10:00:29 PM »

Thanks, David

Now it makes sense, set the Zoom to ‘Line In’ and use the TB as the Preamp. I’ll do some testing.

Thanks, David.

Offline voodoostrat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2021, 10:02:44 PM »

Thanks, David

Make sure P48 is turned OFF on those channels.

Most definitely.

Thanks a bunch, Yug!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com