Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Back in the game to help family via 4 channel recorder  (Read 3960 times)

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
Back in the game to help family via 4 channel recorder
« on: June 05, 2021, 04:53:21 PM »
My girlfriends uncle has a cool blues trio and they're looking to pay me to record their shows; they love the sound of the onstage stereo mics + sbd recordings I used to make.

I still have my trusty busman ua-5 > rockbox Iriver BUT I know I want 4 tracks UNMIXED. Definitely want 24/96. Would prefer HD recording over SD cards.

Is the Roland R4 still a thing? Is it hard to get an Oade or Busman modded 4 track recorder these days?

I see a lot about some Zoom products. I loved the sound of my Oade and Busman modded products, what are the equivalents these days?

Thanks so much in advance, my old ass tried doing some research here and it's been soo long that my head is swimming!
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: Back in the game to help family via 4 channel recorder
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 09:14:11 PM »
FOr the price, a Tascam DR-680 is a great deck. 4 channel XLR/1/4' PLUS an additional 2 channels if you wanna use 1/8 inch stereo in (or digi in)
There is a good thread on the various 680's (there is a DR680mk11 which is fine as well).
The Mix Pre6 was favored for a while around these parts, for a higher price, but much better Pre-amps, however with a slight learning curve due to its 32 bit float.
I know the Roland R44's are rock solid and people love(d) them.
Others' thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 04:51:58 PM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 01:38:30 AM »
I agree with rocksuitcase on the Tascam 680. Solid with a long track record and affordable. I use the Tascam DR-70D as a bit bucket and it has treated me well. Not sure if this ever sold, but there is an Oade Concert Mod Edirol R-44 in the Yard you may want to check out: https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=193807.0
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 02:32:19 PM »
I agree with rocksuitcase on the Tascam 680. Solid with a long track record and affordable. I use the Tascam DR-70D as a bit bucket and it has treated me well. Not sure if this ever sold, but there is an Oade Concert Mod Edirol R-44 in the Yard you may want to check out: https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=193807.0
I agree the 680 and 680mkII are remarkable machines with inputs and the preamps are very good too. These decks can take a digital in, so they can be used as a bit bucket on 2 channels, but you can easily have 6 channels without using it as a bit bucket too.

The DR70D is a fine deck, but in an effort not to confuse you further, there is no digital in, so it cannot be a bit bucket. It is inexpensive and small, so that might be a good option too.

I like the Mixpre6II, super easy and small, but high cost in comparison.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 03:09:38 PM »
This is such great info, I forgot just how cool and friendly this forum is!

I sent a PM on that R44.

It looks like the Oade bros and Chris Busman are done modding (I emailed Busman but haven't heard back).

Is anyone else out there modding? Is the quality in these new portable units good enough that modding is no longer necessary? So much to digest but it's a fun problem to have haha
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 03:17:41 PM by Chanher »

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 03:21:32 PM »
If you purchase an Sound Devices Mix-Pre 6, you definitely do NOT need any modding or preamp. The built-ins are that good. A lot of other ones also are good enough to not need a preamp. I haven't owned a preamp in several years. Isn't there a Mixpre 6 in the yard sale? Yes - here's a link. I can vouch for the seller - he's a stand-up guy.

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=196939.0
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 05:58:34 PM »
Chanher,

If you don't get the used SD MixPre 6 in the YS, I recommend the Zoom F6. I love mine. Compact, solidly built, less expensive than Sound Devices recorders, preamps are super clean, and you get 6 XLR mic/line inputs which can be recorded as ISO tracks, or combined into a polyWAV file. It also does 32-bit float with multiple ADCs like the new SD recorders. The only possible downside for your use might be the lack of 1/4" jacks for soundboard patches, but adapter cables are easy to find or make.

Repeating what others have said: The quality in the new Sound Devices MixPre and Zoom F series recorders are not something you would ever need to mod. I used to own a Tascam DR-70D that I had modded for better performance, but my F6 blows it away.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jdwtyl

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 08:27:57 AM »
I have an Oade concert mod R-44 in all four channels for sale in excelllemt condition. PM if you’d like to talk and see pictures!
Schoeps MK22, MK41 - Matched Pairs
Schoeps CMC6 x4, Schoeps CMR - Pair
Naiant Tinybox, Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+), Naiant PFA
SD MixPre-6ii, Edirol R-44 (OCM), Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2D

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 12:08:02 PM »
This is such great info, I forgot just how cool and friendly this forum is!

I sent a PM on that R44.

It looks like the Oade bros and Chris Busman are done modding (I emailed Busman but haven't heard back).

Is anyone else out there modding? Is the quality in these new portable units good enough that modding is no longer necessary? So much to digest but it's a fun problem to have haha

Doug Oade is still modding.  Just got a Warm mod PMD661 back from him two weeks ago!
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 01:11:41 PM »
I had a feeling that posting here was gonna be a bad idea :) $$$
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 01:17:24 PM by Chanher »

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 01:43:38 PM »
OADE Concert mod on an R44 is the ticket Chanher.   $$ yes, but NOT $$$$     ;D >:D
music IS love

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2021, 02:13:18 PM »
I have made several good recordings with my stock Tascam DR701d. I sometimes use my SD 442 four channel preamp in front of it but if I want to go light it works just fine. An option to consider if you want to save a few bucks.

Here's a few with the stock preamps -

https://archive.org/details/thp2019-11-16.jolymod.oktava.stagelip

https://archive.org/details/AM2019-11-14.stagelip.SBD.mix
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 02:21:43 PM by goodcooker »
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2021, 03:27:58 PM »
Would prefer HD recording over SD cards.
I suggest you rethink this. Moving parts break much more often than fixed ones.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

• Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2021, 05:11:34 PM »
Doug Oade is still modding.  Just got a Warm mod PMD661 back from him two weeks ago!

+T for sharing that good news!
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2021, 07:27:06 PM »
goodcooker-  Tascam DR701d. +T
great value and works well for our purposes according to several tapers on here.
music IS love

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2021, 01:05:59 PM »
Sorry I've been working 2 jobs all month and haven't had much free time to respond. BIG THANKS to every single person who commented, every bit was helpful.

UPDATE: I saw a Tascam DR-70D on ebay for $179 free shipping and I nabbed it. I also grabbed the 20000mAh (they claim) slim battery from the FAQ for $10. I just couldn't resist 4 channel recorder + battery for $200! Should be here in a week.

This was of course after I read through the (somewhat controversial) dedicated threads on this unit. To me it sounds like the latest firmware's solved a lot of the SD card issues. My brother in law and dad both dabbled in photography the last 10 years and they have a slew of both old and new SD cards they said I could use. I'll verify with Tascam's list of tested media of course. I'll probably use my Busman mod UA-5 in front and I'll try the stock preamps as well. I heard a few recordings on LMA and that sealed the deal, can't argue with your ears.

I REALLY wanted a Mixpre or one of the Zoom's but our roof started leaking and that dream quickly died. :(  I've been recording stage lip mics and soundboard to different recorders and mixing in the post; I actually have the process down pretty smooth but sometimes the upgrade bug just won't go away until you, well, upgrade! First new gear in 10 years, can't wait.

Oh and is anyone on these boards modding these haha  ;D

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2021, 04:10:20 PM »
Sorry I've been working 2 jobs all month and haven't had much free time to respond. BIG THANKS to every single person who commented, every bit was helpful.

UPDATE: I saw a Tascam DR-70D on ebay for $179 free shipping and I nabbed it. I also grabbed the 20000mAh (they claim) slim battery from the FAQ for $10. I just couldn't resist 4 channel recorder + battery for $200! Should be here in a week.

This was of course after I read through the (somewhat controversial) dedicated threads on this unit. To me it sounds like the latest firmware's solved a lot of the SD card issues. My brother in law and dad both dabbled in photography the last 10 years and they have a slew of both old and new SD cards they said I could use. I'll verify with Tascam's list of tested media of course. I'll probably use my Busman mod UA-5 in front and I'll try the stock preamps as well. I heard a few recordings on LMA and that sealed the deal, can't argue with your ears.

I REALLY wanted a Mixpre or one of the Zoom's but our roof started leaking and that dream quickly died. :(  I've been recording stage lip mics and soundboard to different recorders and mixing in the post; I actually have the process down pretty smooth but sometimes the upgrade bug just won't go away until you, well, upgrade! First new gear in 10 years, can't wait.

Oh and is anyone on these boards modding these haha  ;D
Busman USED to offer a mod for the DR70D but i think it became unavailable.
Be sure to update the firmware, and ONLY use the best cards from the list (not the ones which have notes regarding special formatting) and you should be fine.
It really was terrible and without ever admitting how bad it was, Tascam fixed it.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2021, 04:29:34 PM »
There was a serious issue with the 70D for a while, but it was resolved. Don't read too much into the drama.

My bigger concern is with those batteries in the FAQ (and I'm the person who listed them there). The reason I say this is I bought one to use with my 70D, and it was 100% reliable to the point where I semi-permanently attached it to the bottom of the recorder. I later bought another one from the same vendor just as a backup, but it made a very high-pitched squealing noise and the end covers kept falling off. It also would not charge reliably. Just be careful with those cheap batteries; they can be hit or miss.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

• Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2021, 04:42:12 PM »
Congrats! Spend the few bucks and get an Anker or RavPower battery. DR-70D really sips power and will run for a loooong time on USB power.

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2021, 05:37:38 PM »
Busman USED to offer a mod for the DR70D but i think it became unavailable.
Be sure to update the firmware, and ONLY use the best cards from the list (not the ones which have notes regarding special formatting) and you should be fine.
It really was terrible and without ever admitting how bad it was, Tascam fixed it.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Good advice on the SD cards. And maybe I'll send Busman a polite request down the road. Couldn't hurt.

There was a serious issue with the 70D for a while, but it was resolved. Don't read too much into the drama.

My bigger concern is with those batteries in the FAQ (and I'm the person who listed them there). The reason I say this is I bought one to use with my 70D, and it was 100% reliable to the point where I semi-permanently attached it to the bottom of the recorder. I later bought another one from the same vendor just as a backup, but it made a very high-pitched squealing noise and the end covers kept falling off. It also would not charge reliably. Just be careful with those cheap batteries; they can be hit or miss.

Ah yes I am familiar with this. Cheaper things usually mean cheaper quality control. Fingers crossed. I did get the right angle USB cable recommended in one of the discussion threads. This forum is so great for those little things.

Congrats! Spend the few bucks and get an Anker or RavPower battery. DR-70D really sips power and will run for a loooong time on USB power.

In 2005ish I remember getting one of the nicer dvd batts for my UA-5. Recently did a 4 hour show with and it still had plenty left., I couldn't believe it after 15 years...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com