Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Has anyone done multitrack from AVID S6L Console? AVB over CAT5?  (Read 2970 times)

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
I haven't been out recording much lately. I'm not fully up on the latest production gear out there. I don't have MADI interfaces or anything. It looks like this AVID S6L has the ability to record up to 64 tracks over ethernet. It works best with Pro Tools but I think it can work with other DAW. I've mostly been using Reaper. It looks like it requires Thunderbolt (Ethernet to Thunderbolt adapter) to interface with a MacBook Pro. Has to be MBP with Thunderbolt. Retina 2014 or later (I think). Has anyone done this? Thanks!
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Has anyone done multitrack from AVID S6L Console? AVB over CAT5?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 12:28:58 AM »
whats up Clinton!  I do this all the time with S6L and Reaper.  The beauty of AVb is that you don't need an interface to get the audio into your computer.  And Apple has all the AVB drivers already installed in the operating system.   Just have to enable the inputs in your Audio/Midi setup
I normally use a 2015 Mac Mini but have also done it with a 2014 MacBook Pro, both have thunderbolt.  I see folks using the latest Mac Pros with this setup all the time. 

Here are specific system requirements for Pro Tools and S6L: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/compatibility/What-are-the-system-requirements-for-Pro-Tools-with-S6L
This PDF probably has too much info for your questions but a great resource nonetheless: https://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/VENUE/VENUE_S6L_Live_Recording_Guide.pdf

If you use pro tools, you can get cool features like automatic track naming, and the ability to control pro tools from the S6L surface transport buttons.   
BTW I've gone through about 5-6 of those apple ethernet> thunderbolt adapters, they keep breaking.. so if you're having trouble, that would be the first place I would troubleshoot

Cheers and good luck

Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 03:22:17 PM »
Hey Patrick! I wish I came back here sooner. You're the first person I've found that has actually done this with Reaper. I do not have ProTools but the Venue Link function sounds dreamy from what I've gathered. I hope you see this. I have been researching and definitely still have questions. Especially being totally new to AVB. I do have two Thunderbolt adapters and I hope they will get me through this weekend. I gather I take Ethernet C from the desk. I am not positive is I need something like the Hive software to manage the AVB matrix but I installed it just in case. Seems like I:

Turn WIFI and Bluetooth off on my mac and disable Internet Sharing.
Then connect to Network port C on the desk.
Launch Audio MIDI Setup > Show Network Devices > Select E6L Engine
Select E6L in Audio Devices and choose Configure
Open Audio Entity Configuration and choose 64x64 96khz configuration

From here is more guess work

Launch Reaper and choose E6L as audio device and set 24/96 session

What I'm not sure about is configuration on the desk. Does each channel need the direct outputs to be activated or are they always on? Any other note or tips by chance? Thanks!!

PS this is for Lockn this weekend so your help would be really appreciated. I can't count on production knowing all about it.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 03:39:51 PM »
Actually now I'm starting to worry that my ethernet adapters are not going to work. I've seen people say that some do not. Any quick recs?

jcable77

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 06:44:07 PM »
After reading a bit from the S6L console manual and having some experience doing this with x32's this might help. In your case it would be with Reaper not pro tools. Im not sure about the ethernet adapters though, I didnt need them for my computer.

Enable and Adjust Direct Outs
After routing a Direct Out to Pro Tools you must turn each channel’s Direct Out on and set its level.
You can do this from the external screen or from fader strips.
To enable a Direct Out and adjust its level from the external screen (see image at right):
1.Navigate the external screen to the Inputs or Outputs page, and Select (or Attention)
the desired channel.
2. Turn the channel’s Direct Out on (so IN and the encoder are lit green.
3. Rotate the on-screen encoder to set the Direct Out level.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 03:04:55 PM »
After reading a bit from the S6L console manual and having some experience doing this with x32's this might help. In your case it would be with Reaper not pro tools. Im not sure about the ethernet adapters though, I didnt need them for my computer.

Enable and Adjust Direct Outs
After routing a Direct Out to Pro Tools you must turn each channel’s Direct Out on and set its level.
You can do this from the external screen or from fader strips.
To enable a Direct Out and adjust its level from the external screen (see image at right):
1.Navigate the external screen to the Inputs or Outputs page, and Select (or Attention)
the desired channel.
2. Turn the channel’s Direct Out on (so IN and the encoder are lit green.
3. Rotate the on-screen encoder to set the Direct Out level.

So I was mistaken on this too and wanted to correct this just for clarity - the AVB stream is just a direct copy of the preamps.  On the S6L, the direct out process is not necessary.   Similar to a X32 x-usb card, where the preamps can be assigned (in blocks of 8 ) to the USB out with no further clicking around

The direct outs only are in play when multitracking with MADI like on a Avid Profile
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 11:28:40 AM by Patrick »
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 03:20:57 PM »
I look forward to being able to try this someday. Unfortunately for this event the consoles were swapped out. Had to use FW card and had a few issues. Thanks for the insights guys!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com