Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roland R-05, rubber parts became sticky like melting!  (Read 2591 times)

Offline rolandr05

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Roland R-05, rubber parts became sticky like melting!
« on: September 16, 2021, 03:12:42 AM »
I'm a happy owner of this recorder and I didn't use it for a few years, always kept in a laptop bag and without batteries.
Today I decided to use it but I realized that all rubber (about 70% of the case is rubber) is sticky and leaves fingers with a sticky material like glue.
Has anyone experienced this issue?

Offline fransb

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Roland R-05, rubber parts became sticky like melting!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 09:17:09 AM »
It is not too difficult to remove the sticky finish using isopropyl alcohol (of near 100% purity).

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 09:50:02 AM »
Yep.  Along with some elbow grease. 

Not a fan of rubberized coatings, as they all seem to do this at some point.  Some take more work than others to remove, but in my experience most of them can be completely removed leaving a clean blemish-free hard smooth plastic surface.  Each time I've done this I'm left with the thought, "this should have been the original finish to start with", and suspect an industrial design conspiracy of planned obsolescence.  Be careful around labels and white painted markings, which are typically not on the rubberized bits but often adjacent to them, so as not to remove or smudge them.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline rolandr05

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 10:56:13 AM »
It is not too difficult to remove the sticky finish using isopropyl alcohol (of near 100% purity).
I got the isopropyl 99% quality but I think it can be useful to clean a surface but what I can see the whole rubber is completely sticky and melting, not just the surface.

Yep.  Along with some elbow grease. 

Not a fan of rubberized coatings, as they all seem to do this at some point.  Some take more work than others to remove, but in my experience most of them can be completely removed leaving a clean blemish-free hard smooth plastic surface.  Each time I've done this I'm left with the thought, "this should have been the original finish to start with", and suspect an industrial design conspiracy of planned obsolescence.  Be careful around labels and white painted markings, which are typically not on the rubberized bits but often adjacent to them, so as not to remove or smudge them.
The only complaint that I had about this recorder is that all text describing the functions of the various switches printed on the aluminium surface was already faded away by just holding the recorder.
And now this rubber thing, it's not just a coating but it's part of the recorder's case and it has became soft and sticky like the glue on a sticky tape.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 11:21:09 AM »
Keep rubbing!  Hard.  IME its not super easy, but takes work.  You need to remove maybe a 1/16" of sticky goo to get down to the sub-surface.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 11:24:32 AM »
Acetone (nail polish remover) works fast and easy but can melt the base plastic, fog the display, etc.  Alcohol is far safer.

Offline OrionMan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 01:52:29 PM »
Would this work good on hand tools?  My orbital polisher gets stored in the garage where it gets pretty hot and I haven't used it for a couple of years and now it's sticky all over.  Same happened to the handles on my tripod that are used to tight/loosen the ball head. Although the tripod was stored in the bedroom closet and it doesn't get nowhere near as hot there.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 03:21:56 PM »
It works to remove a rubberized coating.  It won't work if the rubber surface is a separate rubber pad adhered or mechanically attached to the subsurface.  In that case I'd just try an remove the entire pad. 

Isopropyl alcohol is a relatively benign solvent so it probably won't hurt to try. Maybe test rub a non-obvious area first.

Offline rolandr05

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 05:57:27 PM »
It won't work if the rubber surface is a separate rubber pad adhered or mechanically attached to the subsurface.  In that case I'd just try an remove the entire pad.
In fact the rubber it's not a decoration but part of the record case.

Offline rolandr05

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 06:06:09 PM »
Here is the web page where you can see the recorder https://www.roland.com/global/products/r-05/

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 07:09:09 PM »
Right.  Was referring to the orbital sander above.

R-05 is definitely a coating.  I think I removed it from an earlier model R-09 which went sticky if I recall correctly.  Definitely did so on a Sony SBM

Offline rolandr05

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2021, 08:37:06 PM »
R-05 is definitely a coating.  I think I removed it from an earlier model R-09 which went sticky if I recall correctly.  Definitely did so on a Sony SBM
The funny thing is that the cap that covers the SD card slot is still in perfect conditions because it's not made of rubber.
Maybe removing the rubber pads is the solution but the recorder will need replacements because especially the front rubber pad has the description for 10 buttons.
I'll wait the feedback from Roland and the vendor hoping they will replay.
In the mean time I found on internet people use talcum powder?

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2021, 07:19:42 PM »
The funny thing is that the cap that covers the SD card slot is still in perfect conditions because it's not made of rubber.
Maybe removing the rubber pads is the solution but the recorder will need replacements because especially the front rubber pad has the description for 10 buttons.
I'll wait the feedback from Roland and the vendor hoping they will replay.
In the mean time I found on internet people use talcum powder?
I'd be super hesitant to put talcum powder anywhere near any form of electronics at all ever  period! so many things can go wrong. 
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com