Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony STR-DAxxxxes series recievers...  (Read 4987 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Sony STR-DAxxxxes series recievers...
« on: July 25, 2004, 08:08:47 AM »
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/STRDA3000ES_TWP.pdf

here are the white papers which go into detail about Sonys S-Master chip, LDF and digital drive amplification.

As i'm sure some of you know...Doug Oade, who's ear for live music reproduction we all know by his preamp designs and other gear modifications, ...is touting these as one of the greatest things to happen to stereo in a long time.

The deal w/these is that they *must* be fed a digital signal in order to reap the benefits of what this design has to offer.

I would like to hear from those of you who have one of these 2000/3000/5000/9000ES models, what you moved out of (gear wise) before getting one of these, and what other High-End playback equipment you have heard.

I plan on picking up the 3 or 5000es and putting it up against my 50wpc Manley Stingray integrated amp.  Yes, big amplification difference, but i'm curious as to weather or not these amps can really deliver the level of two channel excellence that Doug claims.
Who's got stories to share?
Darrin...I know you are a fan.  Lets hear it on this forum...i'm sure you don't mind talking about your beloved gear (as all of us dont' mind  reading about it!)

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
Re: Sony STR-DAxxxxes series recievers...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 09:03:18 AM »
Nick after talking to ya at moe about these I've been eyeballing the 3 and 5000 also.  I'd love it too if anyone that has one could speak up and offer more insight on these. :)
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 09:11:00 AM »
i'm feeling the same Brian.
I would like the idea of a $700 amp that sounds almost as good, as good , or better than much more expensive solution.
what would suck...all the work I just did on my Toshiba (for analog output)....should I end up w/one of these as my main system.

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 11:40:16 AM »
i'm feeling the same Brian.
I would like the idea of a $700 amp that sounds almost as good, as good , or better than much more expensive solution.
what would suck...all the work I just did on my Toshiba (for analog output)....should I end up w/one of these as my main system.

I'd have to get a new CD player as mine is a bit older and has no digi out.  Hmm....guess I could use some reccomendations on that.
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 12:42:31 PM »
well, really you'd just need a transport.
however, you also want to be able to send higher res PCM signals (higher than redbook), so I'd guess a DVD transport would be the way to go.  I'd probably look at the older Sony ES lines, as they are known to have awesome transport hardware and performance.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 07:45:45 AM »
due to a twist -o- life, I had to post my brand new Manley Stingray for sale, new in box ($1900 for anyone who is interested in this awesome tube integrated).

I have to be very cash conscious right now w/a pending 3mo maternity leave starring at me.

the replacement amp is the STR-DA3000ES.  I said fuck it, and took the plunge to see if these sound as good as people say.
Now,this is..in my mind...a big step down from $3k worth of seperate componants.  Maybe i'll be surprised to hear that it surpases what I had.  That is what i'm told by the Oades....so we'll see.

I also got lucky and was able to have my toshiba 3960 only partially mod'ed.  Just the power supply as upgraded, and none of the analog output section was touched.  that still cost $125 in parts in labor.  But it should be a smokin' transport for the cash I have into it.
any way...
I'll have everything together by Sunday when I return from my two days at Greatwoods w/the Dead.  Just in time to hear the masters.
Give me a few weeks, and i'll write a review on it.

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 08:44:37 AM »
Give me a few weeks, and i'll write a review on it.

Looking forward to it Nick, especially interested in your thoughts on the Toshiba as a transport...!

Take care,
another Nick
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 11:06:17 AM »
I'll bring it to Carls and test it against his parasound transport > DAC-1 setup.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 11:22:03 AM »
Nick -- Pressure's on (me) -- sure hope you like it, remember it fattens up REAL nicely as it burns in.  I continue to enjoy re-discovering many old favorites via the sony -- sounds so much more relaxed and natural than my older carver integrated amp did running the same system in the same configuration. 

d

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2004, 04:13:56 PM »
the 2000 is on my radar screen...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2004, 04:28:54 PM »
Tim:

Always welcome to drop by and check out the 5000 -- did you see that Red Rocks Mule tix (9/19) go on sale on Saturday?  (HST is the emcee)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2004, 04:36:05 PM »
Thanks Darrin! I definitely want to...

I'll be at that Mule show for sure! Can't wait!!!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline jjjewett

• Taperssection Regular
  • brown trout
    • my website
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2004, 08:56:17 AM »
interesting.....

no THX certification though

john

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2004, 09:30:48 AM »
Nick -- Pressure's on (me) -- sure hope you like it, remember it fattens up REAL nicely as it burns in.  I continue to enjoy re-discovering many old favorites via the sony -- sounds so much more relaxed and natural than my older carver integrated amp did running the same system in the same configuration. 

d

IMO, the best part and biggest bennefit of futzing w/your stereo is the "rediscover" that you mention.
I do it w/every new piece of gear...that is why I like to change things around sometimes.

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2005, 06:26:17 PM »
Hey kids. I just jumped on the bandwagon (STR-DA3000ES). I was sort of worried that it would be extremely bright with the Klipsch horns, but this seems not to be the case. This thing really is all it's cracked up to be. It really puts you back in the space of your recordings.  BTW, I picked it up as a refurb (there's a couple real light scratches) from a Sony outlet for a hair over 500 clams with tax. I would recommend this to anyone on the fence especially if you are near a Sony outlet that has them in stock.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com