Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping Garaj Mahal  (Read 2372 times)

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Taping Garaj Mahal
« on: January 07, 2005, 02:03:07 PM »
So Garaj Mahal  will be coming to the Freebird next week and I was wondering how hard is it go get them to let you tape on stage.
Does anyone know who to ask to set up  on stage? 

Thanks
colin
Occasionally....music mics record

cleantone

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Taping Garaj Mahal
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 02:07:08 PM »
I think it is no sweat. It's been at least two years since I've taped them but there really into it. Just get there as early as possabe. Also send a general email to any contact you can find on thier site including but not limited to the band... Have fun!

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 02:25:21 PM »
Get there early and help them carry in their gear and you might even score a guest list spot.

They have to be the most taper friendly (and all-around nicest) band I've ever dealt with.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 03:32:35 PM »
not sure if she is with them anymore but the merch girl was named eshter and was very nice and they let me set up on stage no problem.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline clarson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Workingman's Tracker
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 07:29:25 PM »
I just taped them last weekend and it was very easy to get permission. Nobody cared . The only other taper there was the guy who does their sbd/on stage mix cd's and he had absolutely no problem with it.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 08:51:06 PM »
some other bands *cough*skb*cough* could take lessons from these guys on how to treat people...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 12:57:31 AM »
I just taped them last weekend and it was very easy to get permission. Nobody cared . The only other taper there was the guy who does their sbd/on stage mix cd's and he had absolutely no problem with it.
Most deinately go on-stage for GM!  It was suggested to me by another member here to offer to help them load in if you are there at that time.  You don't need to by any means, but it is a nice gesture from the taping community, and it's kinda cool helping out the band.  The person to e-mail is their road manager Theresa.  I reached here here:   info@garajmahal.net   I requested a board patch and spots on the snake to run my matrix rig whrn they were in Milwaukee on 12-2.  This was her responce.
Hi Matt-
you are welcome to set up audience taping but we are planning on doing a record & sell that night so we are not allowing anyone to patch in to the board.

Thanks for asking and again, you are welcome to set up in the audience.  I would even let you in the doors early to set up if you would like.

Theresa

When I got there I talked to the burn and sell guy, the house sound guy, and then the band.  EVERYONE said go on stage (the house sound guy still offered me the snakes and power **props to shank hall**), it was a great show!!

Have fun, these guys will sink a hook into you like crazy... especially after to going onstage with these guys!  They ballance pretty well, but my recording was a tiny bit heavy on the drums.  Many GM on-stage recordings I have heard were lacking in the keys, but he puts his speaker behind the drummer (or maybe it was next to him...), but every stage will be a little different.  I used x/y and I can hear a near perfect soundstage all the way down to the drum set being split.  Seems a lot of people use DIN also... I will try that or ORTF next time... or maybe split omni's, but I really like the x/y soundstage up close like that.

Have FUN!!!
Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com