Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Von Schweikert VR-4 GenIII SE Review  (Read 4516 times)

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Von Schweikert VR-4 GenIII SE Review
« on: January 15, 2005, 09:45:29 PM »
So today I had the pleasure of listening to these on a nice system at person's home 20min away.  The system consisted of the following:

Music Hall MMF-7 tunrtable
HK DVD/CD player (weak link)
Rotel RSP-1068 Pre/Pro
Bel Canto eVo 6 Gen II
Acoustic Zen interconnects
Acoustic Zen Epoch speaker cable
Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen III SE (bi-wire)
Von Schweikert LCR-15 (center)
Von Schweikert VR-2 (rears)

Mike was quite the host!  His sister was in town from India and got me a glass of lemonade when I first arrived.  We began by talking about the system and how he ended up with what I was drooling over as well as were he was from in India since I work with many from his country.  Made for good conversation.  Previous to this system his family was using a HTIB (brand unknown) and wanted to go out and spend a few grand on a decent system.  As you can tell from the above he went a little over budget!!  ;D  He didn't give himself enough credit for what he had learned while doing all the research and listening.  He wanted to talk about placement, room treatments, and which CD player/transport he should look at.  I was all for talking about all of this.  I then went and loked at the speakers and felt the web doesn't do these justice at all.  The cloth is much more elegant than I would have thought based on what I see on the web.  The caps look like a stained MDF (which they are), but nice overall.  I would have chosen real wood if I were Albert, but I'm not.  Did I mention they were HUGE!  Very large speakers and I knew as soon as I saw them they would not be in my system in the near future as I don't have the space or cash for them ($5995 -10-15%).  His room is on the medium to large size as the dimensions were 14'(w)x22'(deep) with 8' sloped ceiling and open to the kitchen in the rear.  The speakers filled this space with ease. On to the sound.

He was playing an older Police LP when I arrived and it was at very low volume when we were talking so when we turned it up to normal listening levels a big smile came to my face.  I knew right then there was something special about these speakers and I've never heard something so neutral ever before.  The sound was very open with no coloration.  I was surprised to see that although they are phase aligned, they are NOT time aligned like the VR-4jr.  I will say that hearing a phase coherent speaker really makes it!  While I don't currently have this in my system there will be a day when I do.  They are also a very "big" sounding speaker if that makes any sense.  The soundstage was so very wide an the image was spot on.  I did bring some of the insulation I am using for acoustic treatment as he mentioned he had none.  I say this because once I listened to a few tracks I noticed some reflection issues that were degrading the soundstage.  Once I put up some 2'x4' panels at the first reflection points the stage and imaging got that much better.  He noticed this as well and is on his way over for more in the morning.  I'm not going into all the normal comments on how they "disappeared in the room" and "I checked the center channel to see if it were on" comments as I simply have to say they are the most realistic sounding speakers I've heard to date!

Second half coming soon.....wife just pulled in from her trip!

OK Part 2

With this very neutral sound characteristic I think it is both a positive and negative to these speakers.  It is a positive because there is no midrange boost or added highs.  The sound is very smooth from top to botom.  I think the negative to this is that they are very revealing of the source components.  I could see much time spent on matching our oher components to these speaker as they will take on those characteristics.  For instance, if you put a nice tube amp/DAC/transport or any "warm" component I'd think the system would then lean to the warm side.  You can only imagine what a "bright" source may do.  The only other negative is that poorly recorded material would sound quite poor as these speakers are revealing.

BTW, I could see the drivers as they are wrapped in cloth.  Mike went on about how great this tweeter (Vifa ring radiator) is and what the sales guy had said about them. I guess they only use this driver in the "custom" line of VSA speakers (VR-4 GenIII SE, VR-7, etc).  When I mentioned all of my Rockets use the same tweeter he was quite surprised.

Over an hour after beginning the critical listening I had heard enough.  I don't have the room for these nor the cash, but I'll remember this experience fr when I do.  I asked if we could then hook the VR-2's up.  The VR-2 is a much smaller speaker and very similar in size to my current Onix Rocket 750.

Right off the bat you could tell the differences.  While the placement was different. The ratio from speaker to speaker and from listener to speaker was the same however.  The VR-2 sounded like a much smaller speaker (makes a lot of sense) and sounded a tad thin after hearing the others.  I asked if they hadn't been broken in as they were used as rears, but he said he set them up first and played them for 2 weeks while waiting for the Acoustic Zen cables to arrive.  They were a good speaker and very neutral as well, but there was something missing for me.  After  a half hour or so I wasn't so sure these would be a significant upgrade from my current setup.

Finally it was time to head out, but not until we watched a couple movie clips.  When I saw the center channel I thought it to be very very small as my current center is easily twice its size.  We watched the beginning to Top Gun (which the new release looked and sounded great) and everything sounded fabulous.  I thought the LCR while it did a good job wasn't at the same level as my current.  I'd think for MC music this may be an issue.  Mike noted this and has plans to get the matching center, but the cost is nearly $3K so it has to wait a year or so.

The experience while great, has left me in wondering what I will do next.  I've mentioned twice before that the space I have can't handle the VR-4's and I'm not sure the VR-2 would be that significant of a sound improvement. I think I would be giving something up in the center, but moving to a phase aligned speaker would be nice as it is noticable throughout the lows, mids, and highs.  I plan on listening to the VR-2 a few more times and will also A/B them with my curent setup with the P-tech SOCS.  I'll give the results of that once it happens.

later
scott

« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 09:41:02 AM by scervin »

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Von Schweikert VR-4 GenIII SE Review
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 09:53:21 PM »
thanks Scott!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 09:41:26 AM »
just updated

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 11:06:27 AM »
I plan on listening to the VR-2 a few more times and will also A/B them with my curent setup with the P-tech SOCS. I'll give the results of that once it happens.

Looking forward to further reviews if/when you have a chance, Scott - I've been considering the VR-2s myself.  Thanks for the review!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 11:44:47 AM »
how big is your room?

the vr2-s are great for me, but i'm not in a big room

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 12:02:41 PM »
how big is your room?

the vr2-s are great for me, but i'm not in a big room

I'm 2300sqft.  The VR-2's would be great no doubt, but I'm not sure they are that big of an improvement over my current system.  Like I said the center was NOT up to the level of my current center.  I have a dedicated room and watch many movies so the center is important.

scott
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 12:53:30 PM by scervin »

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 12:48:14 PM »

I'm 2300sqft.  The VR-2's would be great no doubt, but I'm not sure they are that big of an improvement over my current system.  Like I said the center was up to the level of my current center.  I have a dedicated room and watch many movies so the center is important.

scott

your listening room is 2300 square?
or your house is ?
thats a big fucking room man!

My listening / living room is 17' wide by 23' deep with 7' ceilings, and comes out to just around 390 square feet.  I"m not looking at 3-dimensional space though, and do not measure the ceiling into this equasion.
I ended up going with the "long wall" configuration in the room w/my VR4 gen Is.  It is almost too much.  I need bass traps.  The short wall space worked too, but my TV is small, and viewing from 15+ feet away was near impossible.

the VR2 is an awesome speaker.  It goes much lower than most speakes thier size.  The VR4jr is the same size as the vr2, and they are even better sounding with more punch.

I could stand the VR2 in my long wall config, but back when I was using the room w/the stereo against the short wall, they could not pressurize the area like I wanted.  The VR4s make my ears hurt with so much pressure I can barely stand it on some recordings.
barely stand it...but LOVE it !
;)

Even as big as the VR4 is, they are not noticable at all when the music is playing.  They vanish entirely in my room. 

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 12:53:07 PM »
doh! I meant cubic feet 13'(w)x22'(l)x8'(h) speakers along the 13' wall. 

I'm going to give the VR-2's another shot as I do rather enjoy the phase coherent design (I think it makes a difference).  Again, for the $1000 in cost I'm not sure I'll see that significant improvement overall.  I think the 2 channel ould improve, but HT would be reduced due to the center channel change.  I may just take that money and put it aside until I see something I really want! 

scott 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 12:58:23 PM by scervin »

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2005, 01:21:41 PM »
doh! I meant cubic feet 13'(w)x22'(l)x8'(h) speakers along the 13' wall. 

I'm going to give the VR-2's another shot as I do rather enjoy the phase coherent design (I think it makes a difference).  Again, for the $1000 in cost I'm not sure I'll see that significant improvement overall.  I think the 2 channel ould improve, but HT would be reduced due to the center channel change.  I may just take that money and put it aside until I see something I really want! 

scott 

One thing to note with VR speakers.  they like to breathe.  the more space you can give behind and to the sides, the better they perform.  Especialy on the sides.
I would space my VR4s even farther if my speaker cable would allow for it.  I need a 10' pair.  I'd really like to have these 14' or so feet apart.  At the moment, they are around 12'. 

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2005, 01:33:41 PM »
If I were to get them they would be 18" from the sides and 24" from the rear.  I can't go muh more on the sides as they would block the screen.  When we had them set up yester day they were 9' apart with a good 3' on the sides and 4' from the rear wall.

scott

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2005, 11:03:39 PM »
There is a pair of these on audiogon for 2K right now if anyone is interested.

Don't know the seller, just posting the info in hopes someone can score.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline EScott

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2005, 12:15:38 AM »
I think I may be stepping up to pair of VR2's here soon.  I'm running an old pair Acoutisc Research's right now with a Cary integrated pre - and I think they are about to go.   ;D
"You know the type loud as a motor bike
But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight"

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2005, 08:19:02 AM »
I love the VR2
in the right sized room, they man-handle the music with ease, grace and POWER !
those suckers go down to 22Hz on their own.  the big 4 goes down to 16.  silly bass!

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2005, 08:23:59 AM »
I think I may be stepping up to pair of VR2's here soon. I'm running an old pair Acoutisc Research's right now with a Cary integrated pre - and I think they are about to go. ;D

good call
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com