Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Toys  (Read 15157 times)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re: New Toys
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2005, 01:03:36 PM »
What amp do you own?  I'd be interested to see who's using these as stock items.

CJ Premier 11A.  The CJ ships with 6550s.  I got the KT90s with the amp from the previous owner.  He told me that this is a common swap for the 11A to get more bass.  Although I can't really say that there is more bass than the 6550s I pulled.  I should swap back and see what happens.

I didn't have any issue biasing the KT90s in the amp.  The current setting is not near the end of the range.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2005, 06:31:09 PM »
Alright I've had a chance to toy around with some tube rolling and thought I'd post some results for those of you that might be interested.  I guess for the sake of clarity I should mention my setup which is APL Hifi DV-563a > PrimaLuna ProLouge One > Magnepan MMGs, using magwire interconnects and Chris Ven Haus recipe DIY speaker cables.  I should also mention I used Svetlana C logo EL34s for the entire comparison.  OK here goes:

12AU7:

RFT 12AU7:  These were purchased from Ned at Triode Electronics for $14 a piece, I think I snagged the last matched pair but there are a couple more singles available.  These are the newest of the lot dating from the 1980s and have a very different internal structure than the rest of the tubes (smaller plates, more simplified design.)  My initial impression about these were that they were pretty well balanced from top to bottom with nice detail throughout.  They had a pretty well defined soundstage with nice separation, more so than the rest of the lot.  Also these are pretty transparent without a whole lot of warmth, I really liked them with the Sylvania 5751s but not quite as much with the Tele 12AX7s.  If I could only own one type of 12AU7 this would probably be it, while it isn't the best it is the most consistant.

Cifte 12AU7WA:  I picked these up from Upscale Audio for $25 a piece after talking with Kevin Deal.  I believe they were made in France in the late 1950s or early 1960s by Mazda.  My initial thought about these were that they seemed just a little thin and touch bright which is actually what I was looking for.  These were a perfect match for the Sylvanias because the they didn't over emphasize the midrange like some of the other tubes and added a nice high end sparkle which I felt was missing from all of the others.  On the other hand these didn't mate well with the Telefunkens, the sound was way too bright and thin.  I think these are very system dependant and in most circumstances probably wouldn't be the best option.  As always YMMV

RCA 12AU7 Cleartop:  I found these dirt cheap on Audiogon ($5 each) so I decided to pick up a quad to see if they were really as good as advertised.  I was immediately impressed, they have a very nice smooth range with a beautiful midrange, above average highs and very tight bass.  The soundstage was pretty good, they're definately more musical than the RFTs or Ciftes and probably on the same level as the Amperexes.  I really loved these with the Telefunkens, I think they're pretty close to the perfect combination of detail and musicality.  Once you factor in the cost these are a no brainer, I highly recommend them.

Amperex 12AU7A Orange Globe:  These are the late 1960s - early 1970s variety which followed the famed Bugleboys.  These were by far the most expensive of the lot at $40 a piece which is actually pretty low for these.  The first thing I noticed was the very smooth and musical midrange much like the RCAs but these had a little more extension on the highs.  All considered these sound just slightly more detailed than the RCAs without sacrificing the natural, musical sound.  These were probably the overall "best" in my system though I'm not sure they're worth the dramatic difference in price.

Overall my favorite combinations would probably go like this:

1.  Telefunken 12AX7 > Amperex 12AU7
2.  Telefunken 12AX7 > RCA 12AU7
2.  Sylvania 5751 > Cifte 12AU7WA

The differerence between the Amperex and RCA 12AU7s was fairly minor, with the slight edge going to the Amperexes.  While it isn't in any of my "favorite" combinations if I had to choose only one 12AU7 it would probably be the RFT because it sounded pretty good with both the Sylvanias and the Telefunkens, unlike the others.  Unless you really need to brighten up your system I'd probably avoid the Cifte because I think in most circumstances it would sound way to bright and would be downright fatiguing to listen to.  I think that's all I have to say on these, hopefully it was somewhat helpful to those who are looking to roll 12AU7s.  I'm currently looking to add a couple 12AX7s / 5751s and I'll share some thoughts on those after they arrive.

Offline Tim

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2005, 06:36:19 PM »
thanks Nick! +T for taking the time to review these tubes for us...

are the svetlanas treating you well?

thanks again!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2005, 06:42:33 PM »
thanks Nick! +T for taking the time to review these tubes for us...

are the svetlanas treating you well?

thanks again!

They're a big upgrade from what I was using, they've really opened up the midrange and tightened up the bass.  I'm pretty sure they're good enough to keep me from buying any NOS EL34s, though I think I have a couple freebie NOS EL34s which may or may not change my mind.   :)

Offline Tim

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2005, 06:49:22 PM »
they definitely effected my bass the most...

try the NOS though, you know you want to :P
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2005, 07:02:20 PM »
they definitely effected my bass the most...

try the NOS though, you know you want to :P

Yes I do, but my bank account says otherwise.  I think I can get my hands on a couple American NOS brands for free, I guess I'll see how they fare.  I honestly wouldn't be too disappointed if the Svetlanas were better.  By the way, thanks for the Svet recommendation they're really nice.  ;D

Offline Tim

« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2005, 07:03:15 PM »
glad you like them, they seem to be very highly regarded and I would have to agree :)

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2005, 07:06:56 PM »
Woohoo that's alotta tube rolling!   ;D

Lots of fun.  I should have a similar report on 12AX7's soon  ;D

Offline Tim

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2005, 07:17:36 PM »
there's been some great tube info on here lately, keep up the good work guys!

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2005, 05:15:39 PM »
http://vacuumtubesinc.com/

found this little gem and spoke with Jim today, very nerdy sounding, just like you want your tube guy to be.
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Tim

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2005, 06:51:54 PM »
http://vacuumtubesinc.com/

found this little gem and spoke with Jim today, very nerdy sounding, just like you want your tube guy to be.

ha!

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2005, 07:34:35 AM »
I just received a brace of tubes from Boi Audio Works.  Great pre-sale responsiveness over email, and about the fastest shipping I have ever seen.  Seems like a good guy, too.

Offline cheshirecat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2005, 09:36:30 PM »
mmm telefunken...

Quad of ribbed plate 12ax7s, packing up some crap i have laying around and came across these guys, forgot i pulled em from my old pre.

SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2005, 09:55:10 PM »
Amperex Bugle Boy EF-86 mesh plates...

SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2005, 10:02:55 PM »
RCA Black Plate 12AU7

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com