Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ps-2 "power upgrade" into a SBM-1  (Read 2729 times)

Offline dylandenver

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Ps-2 "power upgrade" into a SBM-1
« on: January 28, 2005, 12:55:33 AM »
Question: I am running a pair of AKG blue lines (ck91 or 93's) into the PS-2 to the Sony bit mapper. Is there a cheap way to increase the gain I see on the deck levels? (going line in as opposed to mic in) Is there a bench mark test for the three settings on the blue lines? The AKG powers from 9 volt to 48 volt, and I believe the PS-2 only runs them at 9 volt. Any advice welcomed. thanks. Does increasing the voltage supply to the mics enhance the performance?

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
Re: Ps-2 "power upgrade" into a SBM-1
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 02:11:40 AM »
adding more volts will not give you better performance from these mics
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 07:54:12 AM »
For a while, I ran the 391's into a ps-2 and then to a mod SBM-1.  usually, the PS-2 phantom power supply will supply 48V.  however, I do know that they made 9V version, so you might have that.  regardless, you're question is about gain.  The cheapest way to do this is with line transformers.  I got a pair at Radio shack for maybe $20.  I know Hosa makes some nice ones as well, probably slightly more expensive, but probably better transformers as well.  I think I calculated that my RS transformers provided about 12dB of gain.  here's a link to a Karl Denson show from the archive that I recorded with this method:

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=4647

After a few months of running this, I got a Beyer Dynamic MV-100, for phantom power and gain.  and I didn't like it as much as the ps-2 > transformers, so I went back to the transformers.  the transformers are definitely a nice cheap option for clean gain.  I'm sorry I can't reccomend the exact model number for the hosa ones, but I'm sure if you did a search on here for "line transformers" you could find it pretty easily.
hope this helps.

Offline hhf32

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 08:12:49 AM »
The Hosa line transformers are Mit-176. I also started out using a ps-2 into line tranformers and I got nice levels with them.
AKG 461's>digimod UA5>JB3

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 09:54:12 AM »
frank at cascademedia has the best prices on these.  just got me a set of 176's.  modded then to have right angle rca's
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 11:16:07 AM »
I, too, used to run PS2 > Hosa MIT-176 > modSBM-1.  Worked great.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline soomlos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005, 05:42:02 PM »
Question: I am running a pair of AKG blue lines (ck91 or 93's) into the PS-2 to the Sony bit mapper. Is there a cheap way to increase the gain I see on the deck levels? (going line in as opposed to mic in) Is there a bench mark test for the three settings on the blue lines? The AKG powers from 9 volt to 48 volt, and I believe the PS-2 only runs them at 9 volt. Any advice welcomed. thanks. Does increasing the voltage supply to the mics enhance the performance?

How about putting a pre between mics and sbm-1? Maybe one with phantom power so you can eliminate
the ps-2...

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005, 06:29:04 PM »
How about putting a pre between mics and sbm-1? Maybe one with phantom power so you can eliminate
the ps-2...

that works too.  He did mention that it needed to be an inexpensive solution, and line transformers are certainly the cheapest way to add gain.  that's why I think no one has mentioned a preamp yet.

Offline dylandenver

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005, 09:57:28 PM »
Thanks for info everyone. The line transformers seem the best at low end, what would you guys run if i went with a pre and can't afford a v-3 at the moment. Also, clarification on the voltage issues, it doesn't matter if you power these with 9 or 48, same result?
Appreciate it.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2005, 07:39:45 AM »
I ran the blue lines with a MP2>Mod SBM1 with good results...sounded great....that combo gives you a nice warm sound...before the MP2 though I ran the AT CP8201 transformers with the B18 (phantom power boxes) into a mod sbm1 and I thought that the only difference was that the transformer based recordings (vs the MP2) were a little thinner on the low end....not bad...just a slight difference....and when you tape a bassy ass rock show...sometimes thinner on the low end is a good thing, because the MP2 can overemphasize at times...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com