Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Creating a 5.1 mix in Vegas 5.0 from 3 seperate recordings  (Read 2101 times)

Offline formengr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Creating a 5.1 mix in Vegas 5.0 from 3 seperate recordings
« on: February 18, 2005, 09:38:55 AM »
I've searched and see nothing relevant to what I'm trying to do and this seems the bext forum to post in, so here goes.

This is my 1st foray into a surround mix which will end up as an alternate audio source on a DVD (Vegas makes a matrix pretty easy and it will be the the mian audio source).  I've got 3 seperate recordings I want to createa 5.1 mix from using Vegas 5.0.  The following makes sense to me and is what I've done so far. 

For two of the recordings I chose the individual l/r channels and placed them as individual trax on the time line making them front l/r and rear l/r (letting Vegas perform the seperation to individual l/r - not prerendered l/r wav's stuck into Vegas), mono'd another to be the center channel & mono'd one of the others that has the best bass as the sub channel.  I then panned each of those completely into the apprpriate surround channel.  Like i said, this all makes sense to me and i know i could "pull back" an individual track and pan it more (make it come through the other channels, not just the one).  Anyone have any tips/tricks as to how better to do this?  Thanks in advance for anyone's advice.
participo ergo sum
evrything in its right place

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Creating a 5.1 mix in Vegas 5.0 from 3 seperate recordings
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 01:18:39 PM »
For starters, I wouldn't make your center track substantially different than the FL and FR. If they're from two different sources, a pan across the front would likely change timbre in the middle.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline formengr

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 02:19:07 PM »
So you're suggesting to "pull the center back" and let it into the front left and right?
participo ergo sum

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 04:10:39 PM »
I've never done this, so this is a "use your ears" warning ... but without a true center source, I'd just sum FL+FR to mono and keep the levels consistent.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 08:38:23 AM »
i haven't done it either, but based on discs i've heard, why not eliminate the center channel altogether and make it a 4.1 mix?  I personally don't like the center channel in audio recordings; I think it muddies up the soundstage quite a bit.  also, shouldn't you run a low pass filter over the sub channel so that it only contains LF information?

Offline formengr

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2005, 09:39:58 AM »
The sub channel is set up like that.

I like the idea of all the discrete channels myself, I just wonder if it's the optimal way to approach it.  I know it's all in the ears, but other's experience is usually pretty valuable so...
participo ergo sum

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com