Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIY speakers  (Read 3870 times)

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
DIY speakers
« on: February 27, 2005, 11:22:41 AM »
I got a hair up my ass last night after seeing hi-vi research has parts availible direct to the consumer that I want to build a pair of pimped out to the extreme speakers.  Can anyone point me in a direction that will kind of lay out the basics.  It appears that I would need drivers, a crossover, and cabinets, anything else I am missing?

Thanks!
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DIY speakers
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 11:48:52 AM »
yep.......a design.

you could have the greatest drivers and crossovers inside the best wood but if you have a shitty design you will have shitty speakers which you will play your shitty tapes on ;)

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 05:35:48 PM »
I built some speakers in college, out of necessity...  I sold my speakers to buy my woman a ring, and had no tunes.

I bought some drivers from madisound, designed a crossover (not their LEAP design, I used the Dickason book), and built the cabinets out of MDF (unfinished).  I tried a few different cabinets...  One was pretty good, so I stuck with it.

They were very colored, and something wasn't very coherent about that crossover.  My second try was a bit better...  But in the end I just settled with those until I could afford a pair of manufacturer-built speakers. 

It was a very instructive lesson, tho--I learned alot about how different parts of the speakers interacted to build a good-sounding speaker.  And I learned how much effort really goes into a good design!

If you really want to DIY, I'd go with an accepted "good" design.  The ProAc Response 2.5 was widely copied and a DIY favorite.  I heard a pair of homebuilt 2.5 copies and they weren't the real deal, but close enough for some folks.  The problem is once you have all your money (drivers, crossovers, cabinets, wood, hardware) and time factored in I think a pair of used ProAc's starts looking mighty attractive  ;D

Offline Frank M

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 09:58:15 AM »
http://www.zalytron.com/

I bought drivers from them once, but they have a load of kits.

ADK A51TL ---> blah blah blah ---> Von Schweikert VR-4 ---> my ears

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 10:15:53 AM »
I got a hair up my ass last night after seeing hi-vi research has parts availible direct to the consumer that I want to build a pair of pimped out to the extreme speakers. Can anyone point me in a direction that will kind of lay out the basics. It appears that I would need drivers, a crossover, and cabinets, anything else I am missing?

Thanks!

The Tech forums at Parts Express is a good place to start.  Check out www.speakerbuilder.net too...  DIYAudio.com has some but more aligned with other electronic stuff.

Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 02:04:34 PM »
Thanks guys, I certainly appreciate the help.  I will keep reading at home in between study sessions.  This Certified Financial Planner exam is gonna be a bigger doozy than anything in college!
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 02:14:40 PM »
I had looked at the Ariel ME2 MTM speakers.  They didn't look that hard to build but I have to do all the woodworking at my parent house (did you ever try to run a table saw in a 650 sq ft apartment?  not exactly a suitable location.

http://www.nutshellhifi.com/Ariel.html

I also came across this article which furhter simplifies the ME2 design.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tweaks/messages/10400.html
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 05:35:11 PM »
Thanks guys, I certainly appreciate the help.  I will keep reading at home in between study sessions.  This Certified Financial Planner exam is gonna be a bigger doozy than anything in college!

You should probably consult Jonny before you take the test.  He'll be able to tell you all the answers.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 05:52:08 PM »

You should probably consult Jonny before you take the test.  He'll be able to tell you all the answers.

Yeah, no kidding ::)  Bos, you looking into taking anything at the American College at curiosity?  I could use some study tips, though my dad has been quite helpful.

BobW

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 10:50:44 PM »
Try single-driver speakers, no hassling with crossovers.
Yes, use MDF.  Fostex is a good full-range driver maker.
Test your design with inexpensive RatShack drivers to feel-out your enclosure and porting/ horn design.

You'll probably notice a few things:
Alignment is critical.
Top-end is coherent but rolls off a tiny bit of spatial info.
mid-range is detailed and uncolored.
You will hear things in the music that you've never heard due to phase and cross-over distortions.
The bass will surprize you.

Some free plans are at the bottom of this madisound page:
http://www.madisound.com/fostex.html

What happened to the Swans ?

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 12:02:31 PM »
I still have the swans.  What I am really wanting to do is make a pair of swans 6.1 with planar tweeters.  The parts are rather inexspensive, wire isn't too exspensive, and designing the box and making that happen wouldn't be too bad.  What I think the hard part of all of this is is designing the crossover.  It doesn't appear that the commercially availible crossovers would do the trick, and building these would require four or five crossovers I think.  HMM ???

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2005, 12:19:12 PM »
VMPS or Onix Ref 3 are where you need to look.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2005, 12:43:52 PM »
I looked at a lot of the vmps stuff, the kits are two grand for the 40's, not sure about the 30's, and with upgrades we are talking three-4 grand from what I can tell.  I will check out the onix stuff.  Thanks Scott.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2005, 12:58:47 PM »
Anyone heard anything about this kit, seems like something I could give a go...with some help.

http://www.gr-research.com/performer/av3.htm

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com