Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Samsung HD841 Owners...step inside  (Read 3822 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Samsung HD841 Owners...step inside
« on: February 28, 2005, 07:03:40 PM »
Need you to run a test...When I fast forward to a another track on a factory bought CD, it starts outputing sound a second into the track...so I miss a second of music basically...Samsung is giving me the bullshit line of "that is spec for all commercial CD players."  Of course I dont buy it...looking to confirm if someone else with this unit can confirm.  It does this on both digital and analog inputs...

Offline 1st set only

• Trade Count: (0)
  • you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
Re: Samsung HD841 Owners...step inside
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 09:48:57 AM »
you mean outputs right?
and you mean skiping not fast forwarding right?
try this...

stop the cd and go to the aoudio set up menu on the samsung, and select analog out (if you are conected to your amp via analog cables) and vise versa for digital. switch between bitstream and PCM as well.

what kind of amp  do you have?

I had this problem with the beck sea change dvd-a,  there would be a 1 second extra of silence cut out of the begining of each track. I figured this because in between the tracks the amp had no signal and went into a quasi standby mode (lag) until the signal came back.
the show is over go home please.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 09:55:50 AM »
I had this problem with the beck sea change dvd-a, there would be a 1 second extra of silence cut out of the begining of each track. I figured this because in between the tracks the amp had no signal and went into a quasi standby mode (lag) until the signal came back.

this is exactly the problem I have....I actually confirmed with the guy who mods alot of these units that it is a buffer issue with the samsung units...apparently standard....if this is the case, I will be selling mine on ebay soon and buying a better alternative for playing DVD-As....

The output on the unit is set for digital bitstream...otherwise the player will downsample to 48Khz from 98, which I dont want it to do..

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 08:17:53 PM »
nick the Samsungs have a lot of bugs and flaws in their design, too bad because if they did every thing they were supposed to they would sell like hot cakes, the 941 fucks up the same things.  Imagine a nice dvd player that up scales, plays SACD DVD A and has dvi & HDMI and composite out and is around $300.   :-\

closest thing I could recommend its the denono 2910, but I havent messed with one yet and no one here has either.  Some here seem to know about the more expencive 3900 series.

good luck
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 08:42:54 PM »
My 4960 by Toshiba, a rebadged Samsung with a slightly different pcb configuration, doesn't do this FWIW.  Mine is modded though.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 08:50:20 PM »
I think there are a few internal differences between the samsung and the Toshiba.  Where toshiba opted for a better component here and there.
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 09:14:58 PM »
Yes, I do believe you are right.  There are spots on the Toshiba pcb that are not populated which are on the Samsung.  The caps are slightly better too, though the stock caps can't shake a stick to the upgraded ones.  These units really need the stock caps swapped out to be of audiophjile type quality, and even then the transport is still cheap platstic.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 09:14:47 AM »
I think I have learned my lesson about buying the "fad of the week" on audio message boards...you get what you pay for...

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005, 09:17:41 AM »
Nick, for the money, it sounds fantastic, and for a little more money, it can be upgraded to sound even better.  I don't necessarily think you spent your money in the wrong place, just that you didn't expect any problems for the money you did spend!

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2005, 09:19:41 AM »
Nick, for the money, it sounds fantastic, and for a little more money, it can be upgraded to sound even better. I don't necessarily think you spent your money in the wrong place, just that you didn't expect any problems for the money you did spend!

it puts spots of silence in between every track on a DVD-A...due to memory buffer issues...I would consider that a design defect...

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2005, 09:21:22 AM »
Mine is now in a box or I would check mine again just to verify.  Do all of the Samsung units display this behavior?  I will find out for you over on audiocircle just to see. 

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2005, 09:25:35 AM »
Mine is now in a box or I would check mine again just to verify. Do all of the Samsung units display this behavior? I will find out for you over on audiocircle just to see.

I posted on audio circle and no one has related expeience who has responded in terms of homemade DVD-As, but I contacted the guy who sells the "mods" on audiogon, and he told me that the problem I am experiencing is absolutely prevalent on the units and it is a memory buffer issue...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.184 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com