Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Maggies  (Read 9056 times)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Maggies
« on: March 01, 2005, 10:10:02 AM »
Opinions on these, esp from current/previous owners?  I am looking to grab some new speakers for critical listening, and ran across these in a search of TS.  It seems too good to be true for these speakers (MMG W's) to be $299 a pair, and have them sound as good as the reviews I am seeing...

By the frequency range, I am thinking they need a sub... 100Hz - 16 kHz +/- 3dB;

thanks for input.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Maggies
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 10:33:36 AM »
I own a pair of MMGs and I couldn't be happier with them.  They image very well and have nice detail, especially in the high end.  If you are a bass hound you'll definately need to add a subwoofer, but I don't like a ton of bass in my music so I've never been compelled to add one.  Magnepan offers a 60 day refund if you're not happy with them, so really you don't have anything to lose.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 10:36:47 AM »
The MMG-Ws are targeted as surround speakers, not mains.  My speaker setup:

MMG  |  L/R mains  |  50hz - 24 kHz
MMG-W  |  surrounds  |  100Hz - 16kHz
MMG-C  |  center  |  100Hz - 16kHz
Pinnacle Baby Boomer  |  sub  |  23Hz - ??

Heh...haven't even used the -C yet as I don't have an amp for it.  Doh!!  At any rate, I would *not* use the MMG-Ws as mains - their freq response just doesn't cut it.  I've found the W passable - but not stellar - for HT stuff, even given the freq response.  If you go with the regular MMGs as mains, you'll want a fast sub if you like your bass, IME.  MMGs pop up on Audiogon for ~$300-350 or so pretty regularly, if memory serves.  Even after a year-plus I'm still stunned by the Maggie sound!

And yes, Moke - they require an amp that can handle 4-ohms.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 10:59:18 AM »
You best get WAF approval as well

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 11:00:10 AM »
WAF approval?

thanks for the input doods
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 11:19:43 AM »
Hey Brian/McMulbeth - what amp are you using to power them (the mains, that is...)

need a point of reference - thanks

+ts

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Tim

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 11:49:43 AM »
don't the mmg's also require a lot of room around them to breathe, several feet from the back and side walls? just something else to consider
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 11:52:08 AM »
Sorry.... Very common term in HT forums, and I hang there most of the time.

WAF-  Wife Acceptance Factor

This is huge checkmark for me when purchasing new gear.  The Maggies do better out far from walls and they would never get proper approval.

Offline Frank M

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 11:54:26 AM »
I'm definitely *not* trying to be overly-critical, but FYI...

Something you should be aware of is that while speakers of this type image very well and have great detail, they have a very small sweet spot.  Also, due to comb-filtering, you get the "pickett fence" effect.  If you move your head while listening, it literally sounds like there's a pickett fence between you and the music.  

For $300 bucks though, you can't go wrong.  

ADK A51TL ---> blah blah blah ---> Von Schweikert VR-4 ---> my ears

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 11:54:59 AM »
Exactly Tim, which is what I was referring to.... WAF.  Last thing my wife wants is 2 big black things sitting in the middle of the living room.  Heck in what is supposed to be MY room, she still questions my speaker positioning....  looks fine to me!   ;D

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 11:56:05 AM »
Hey Brian/McMulbeth - what amp are you using to power them (the mains, that is...)

Previous:  Adcom GFA-555
Current:  McCormack DNA-1

Both power the Maggies easily and well, but I found the Adcom harsher in the highs and the DNA fuller and smoother in the mids/lows.  I was very happy with it when I used it, but prefer the DNA-1.  A few people around here are powering their Maggies with a B&K amp, but I'm drawing a blank on the specific model(s).

And to Tim's point - the Maggies do need room to breathe.  I have mine 2' off the back wall, with not much of anything to the sides.  Pulling out further helps a bit more, but then they're in the way - so I'm happy with their current placement.  'Course, what speakers don't require breathing room?  I don't know of any, but I'm just a playback newbie.  Though I believe the Maggies need more breathing room the traditional box speakers.

And Frank is correct:  small sweetspot, but ohhhhh...how sweet it is, the detail and imaging.  I just love it.  With just Jen and I listening - and usually only me for critical listening - the small sweetspot doesn't bother me.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2005, 11:57:44 AM »
I know Todd R had to move the speakers out into when he wanted to listen and push them back when he was done... 

they sounded really nice though, there's just a lot more baggage, if you will, with these speakers than with traditional box speakers.

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2005, 12:02:54 PM »
My reading is leading me to believe that the MMGs need to be away from the rear walls a bit, but the MMG W's are intended to be hanging ON the walls.

The MMGs have a small WAF (well, GAF) factor, but the W's would be nice - she'd have no beef with those.  We also have cats that would have a field day on the $550 "scratching posts"

Room is pretty small.

I'm beginning to think that whatever $ I saved in getting the speakers would be spent in getting an amp. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2005, 12:13:15 PM »
"'Course, what speakers don't require breathing room?"

in-walls   :P    ;D

The speakers downstairs are 24" from rear wall and 18" from the side wall.  I'd like to go a little more, but then they block the screen.  My next room will be at least 16' wide.

sc.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 01:09:03 PM by scervin »

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2005, 12:43:23 PM »
My next room will be at least 16" wide.

I hope so!
Out of the game … for now?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com