Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Maggies  (Read 9055 times)

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Maggies
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2005, 02:49:40 PM »
I love Maggies.  Especially the 1.6QR which I think is a fantastic bargain in the high-end world.

However, like some mentioned, the WAF is very low.  My wife thinks they look very 70's in any color but black, and the width of the panels makes them seem very large.  With the 1.6QR's I tried, I had to get the 5 FEET away from the wall to sound good--any less and the soundstage collapsed and it all fell apart.  This was the 1.6QR, though, much larger than the MMG.  At the time I tried them I was running a McCormack DNA-125.  They work well with ARC tube amps, too.

Honestly if you can get the purchase approved... and move them out enough into the room...  And don't mind the small sweetspot (smaller than Martin Logan's)...   And don't mind the fact when you hold a piece of newspaper up in front of your face the sound eerily stops...  They are FANTASTIC speakers!  Yes they require compromises (what speaker doesn't??).  But the tradeoff is everyone I know who has owned Maggies is HOOKED.

(As stated before, the MMG-W is meant to be wall-mounted, and will not produce 100Hz bass when moved out into the room...  I think this would not be a good pair of fronts.  But the MMGs certainly would)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2005, 02:57:27 PM »
I actually think the WAF isn't going to be a problem, its a matter of really having enough space to pull them out from the wall and open up the soundstage.  I sent her a link to them, and her only response was about our cats and dog knocking them over/scratching them up.

I've read a few reviews where people have hung them from the ceiling - good idea, bad idea?  Thoughts?

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2005, 03:14:30 PM »
yeah, reviews said the sound from the speakers were also quite sensitive to vertical movements by the listener...

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2005, 03:15:40 PM »
I definitely wouldn't hang them...  Depending upon the height, of course, but typically you want the tweeter/driver to be at or near ear level when sitting.  With the MMGs, I would suppose you'd just want your ear located as near the ribbons as possible--which would mean hanging it almost to the floor anyway.  No real benefit there except the loss of bass due to the fact it wouldn't be coupled to a solid object (and thus would actually move the entire transducer when it played, lessening the effective bass output).

Are your cats declawed?  

A friend of mine has Martin Logan SL3's and has cats...  He came in the living room one day to his cat hanging from the panel.  The cat was declawed the next day  ;D

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2005, 03:19:25 PM »
no, unfortunately they aren't declawed.  I can't do that to them...

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2005, 03:33:04 PM »
Can you trust them not to climb up the Maggies?  They will undoubtedly puncture the Mylar sheet if they do...

Now, it *might* not be the end of the world.  My cat (not declawed) doesn't sharpen her claws on my speaker grilles...  It depends upon the cat(s) I think.  If you have them conditioned to scratch a post or something, you should be fine.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2005, 03:35:09 PM »
Can you trust them not to climb up the Maggies?  They will undoubtedly puncture the Mylar sheet if they do...

Now, it *might* not be the end of the world.  My cat (not declawed) doesn't sharpen her claws on my speaker grilles...  It depends upon the cat(s) I think.  If you have them conditioned to scratch a post or something, you should be fine.

yeah, they use a scratching post.  Don't really ever use the speakers.  "Trust" is a pretty strong word to use though.  I was originally planning to get something that would be a little less accessible to them, but these maggies really have peaked my interest, and it sounds like people who have them really like them....

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2005, 03:41:20 PM »
I think you'll be fine.

They are great speakers--like any loudspeaker they have design tradeoffs.  But if you value transparency, immediacy, and lifelike soundstaging over impact, power, weight...  They are a great choice.  Some folks who try them never go back.  Me, I'd like both, as I find strengths in both types of designs.  I would tend to use the Maggies on small scale Jazz, tho...  But viewed in their pricerange, I would bet the Maggies will put up a very convincing argument, even with the weaknesses inherent to the design.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2005, 03:46:43 PM »
They are great speakers--like any loudspeaker they have design tradeoffs.

Great point. I don't think any of us were trying to talk you out of the maggies, just pointing out some of the design tradeoffs... every speakers has design tradeoffs, don't be scared off.. give them a shot.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2005, 04:14:51 PM »
I'm worried about space though....  that's my concern now.  I'm gonna have to kinda do some measuring at my house in the room I would be putting them, and see what I can do.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts/inputs.  This will be my first delve into higher-end playback stuff.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2005, 05:13:50 PM »
As this is your first jump into "higher end" (really can't call this high end as it is more mid-fi which is where 99.5% of us fall) I highly encourage you to head out and listen to as much music on as many speakers as possible.  Go listen to some B&W's, Paradigm, Energy, PSB, Monitor Audio, ProAc, Kef, Vandersteen, Von Schweikert, Aerial Acoustic, and the list goes on. If you are anything like me this is what you will find most enjoyable!  Once you have what is is you were seeking, you will want to do it again and you may also come across a great dealer. This contributes a lot to the upgrade bug.

There are many that do love the sound of these speakers (myself included), but you are not everybody!  Your ears will be different and this is why I encourage you to pack up your fav studio discs (little jazz, good female vocals, blues, and some classical) and head out to Almas, Audio Video Alternatives, Audio Dimensions, Gramaphone, and every other local mid-fi/high end place you can find (there are many around).  If you have any questions, I've been to them all more than once.

my $.02
sc.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2005, 05:17:58 PM »
good advice - thanks scott.  Just have a hard time believing that I'm going to find something this nice at my price range (or this price range).

The mag website says they carry these at audio dimensions- do you know if that's true?

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2005, 05:27:43 PM »
Yep, they carry them along with ProAc and Vandersteen.  They are around Woodward and 12 1/2 Mile??? Somewhere around there.  If you are out that whay I'd suggest hitting Almas, Gramaphone, and Audio Video Alternatives since they are all within a mile up and down Woodward.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2005, 05:28:51 PM »
Word.  I'll have to check them out.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2005, 05:44:52 PM »
check around, Paradigm and B&W make some nice speakers that won't break the bank... they are also popular enough that it is easy to find a store that carries them so you can go in and listen yourself.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com