Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Paradigm Reference Signature S8  (Read 3664 times)

Jason B

• Trade Count: (0)
Paradigm Reference Signature S8
« on: March 05, 2005, 12:29:39 PM »
I just ordered a pair of these without hearing them simply on reviews. I will leave them hooked up in the store for a week or two for some critical listening before I decide if I want to take them home. If I decide that I do not want them, they can just stay in the store as a display model, so there is no pressure.

I was just curious as to what people who have actually listened to this model have to say about them. Right now, I am trying to decide between the Paradigm's, the Legacy Audio Focus 20/20's, or a set of Focal/JM Labs Electra 936's.

http://signature.paradigm.com/Flash_Site/SigProductFlash/S8/S8.html

Thanks!

-J
« Last Edit: March 05, 2005, 12:40:22 PM by Jason B »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: Paradigm Reference Signature S8
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 12:47:51 PM »
I need to get down to the store and see some of these toys in person :P

Jason B

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 01:06:18 PM »
I need to get down to the store and see some of these toys in person :P

You should. We just became the only McIntosh dealer in NC!

-J

BobW

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 01:07:31 PM »
If only they had a bit better bass extension.....    ;D

Look very intriguing, must hear.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 11:56:23 AM »
Jason, where do you work???

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 12:45:04 PM »
Legacy Audio dude!  I still can't believe Paradigm kept that aluminum dome tweet in there!

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 04:41:14 PM »
Haven't heard this exact model but love my Reference Active 20's, and I have seen a few reviews of Paragigm stuff, from the freq resp. plots it looks like they have a "house sound" that many of the speakers exhibit. Very neutral in the midrange, with a few dB bump in the treble at just below 10KHz for air, and a slightly boosted bass for that satisfying thump in your chest. I think there are some old reviews posted at stereophile.com.

I did demo some Paradigm's vs. JM lab a 4-5 years back before I bought the 20's, the models demoed were not as high end as the ones you are considering (I heard the reference studio 80's, and the cobalt 810 or 815, can't remember exactly which)

I listened to the Paradigm's first, and liked them a lot right off the bat, overall very neutral sound with good imaging and full kickin' low end when I was playing Headhunters during the demo.

Then I listened to the JM lab's, these were much leaner in the bass and sounded slightly overdamped in comparison to the Paradigms's, making them a bit unsatisfying for Chameleon off of Headhunters. Not good for rocking out but sounded great on material that required less thump, such as jazz and classical. However, these had an AMAZING high end. Super airy and transparent, really really nice, so nice that it made me like the paradigms less in retrospect.

I left the store with the general impression that the paradigms were a very solid overall speaker, while the JM Lab was a bit more refined and delicate but did not offer the full range performance of the Paradigm.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Jason B

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 07:03:54 PM »
I left the store with the general impression that the paradigms were a very solid overall speaker, while the JM Lab was a bit more refined and delicate but did not offer the full range performance of the Paradigm.

Thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate your input. The thing about the JM Labs is that the Cobalt line sounds like clock radio speakers compared to the Electra line. The Electra line sounds incredible. Don't base your whole judgement around what you remember of the Cobalt's. I listen to the 936's regularly, and they are simply amazing. Talk about sweeeeet, airy high end! I have only listened to the Paradigm Studio 100's in the Paradigm family and they sound excellent. I can only imagine that the Signature Reference S8's sound that much better. We're talking a $2,300 speaker compared to a $6000 speaker. I am hoping they sound the $3000 better! I'll post my thoughts once the S8's arrive and I've had some time to listen to them. Solid state and tube mono-blocked.

-J

Jason B

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 07:04:24 PM »
Jason, where do you work???

T

Audio Designs of Raleigh.

Jason B

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 07:06:04 PM »
Legacy Audio dude!  I still can't believe Paradigm kept that aluminum dome tweet in there!

Yeah, the Focus 20/20's are really amazing. They are very strict on imaging though. They have to be set up just right to get the sweet sound. Due to the rear firing sub, they also need to be 3 to 4 feet away from the rear wall, and I'm not sure if I can spare that room.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2005, 08:07:42 PM »
Well then, Id look at the JM Labs.  I just don't hear the cost in the Paradigms, but we all have different ears.

sc

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com