Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: running a d/a in front of a njb3 for a soundboard recording...is it doable?  (Read 3322 times)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
I have a Denecke AD-20 and was wondering how the hell can i use this as a dac with my njb3 for a sbd patch.  I'll be taping from rca outs to line in from the board and was wondering if the ad-20 can work into the chain.

What the hell is up with the spdif miniplug anyway?  If this thing can't cut it, what da-20 would work well with the njb3 and M1?

Finally, is it worthwhile to run a outboard dac for sbd's?

tia!
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
First, I think you mean ADC (analog to digital conversion), not DAC (digital to analog conversion).

Second, the AD-20 adds a minimum of 17dB gain (if memory serves).  A typical SBD output may prove to hot for the AD-20 and will either [1] overload the analog inputs, or more likely [2] overload the AD-20s ADC since you're taking the SBD signal - which is usually a hot signal anyway - and adding the AD-20s minimum +17dB on top of it.  So If you run RCA line outs from the board to the AD-20 you'll likely need some way of reducing strength of the signal before it hits the AD-20 - either [1] significant control over the SBD output level (to drop it low enough so tha the additional +17dB of gain in the AD-20 doesn't add so much gain that you clip the ADC), or [2] attenuators between the board and AD-20.

I believe the AD-20 offers both a S/PDIF mini optical and coax,  If you're recording to JB3, use the optical.  If you're recording to M1, use the coax + 7-pin into your M1.

An outboard ADC is worth it for SBDs, if the internal ADC is not up to snuff.  Whether it's up to snuff or not depends on your ears.  Personally, in this case, I'd run either:

SBD > AD-20 > JB3
or
SBD > M1
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
If the board has RCA outs...dont be afraid to use the JB3 internal AD. I think it sounds fine...but as brian said, whether it's up to snuff or not depends on your ears...

Offline NJFunk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
I bought RCA => XLR attenuator cables from Core Sounds to use with the AD-20 for line-level feeds (i.e. SBD...).  They were cheap and worked just fine.  As Brian said, a line-level signal is probably too hot to use the AD-20 without the attenuators.

Offline George

I bought RCA => XLR attenuator cables from Core Sounds to use with the AD-20 for line-level feeds (i.e. SBD...).  They were cheap and worked just fine.  As Brian said, a line-level signal is probably too hot to use the AD-20 without the attenuators.

Brian, Yep, i think the board does run hot and the levels are fixed, so i set the gain to -12db to ensure it comes out fine.  I learned this the hard way the first time around when i ran the gain +12 and the vocals were distorted.  The second time around it sounded ok, but i felt the urge to fiddle with the a/d 20 since it collects dust otherwise and the band is very cool with providing me a board patch   8)

NJFunk, just to clarify, you use these rca>xlr's to run into the a/d 20 right?  Because i was wondering how the hell i would patch the a/d 20 to the sbd. 

Brian, you're right, i was confusing adc and dac. 

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline NJFunk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star

Brian, Yep, i think the board does run hot and the levels are fixed, so i set the gain to -12db to ensure it comes out fine.  I learned this the hard way the first time around when i ran the gain +12 and the vocals were distorted.  The second time around it sounded ok, but i felt the urge to fiddle with the a/d 20 since it collects dust otherwise and the band is very cool with providing me a board patch   8)

NJFunk, just to clarify, you use these rca>xlr's to run into the a/d 20 right?  Because i was wondering how the hell i would patch the a/d 20 to the sbd. 

Yes.  The RCA end of the attenator cables are RCA-f.  So, I have a normal m-m RCA cable plugged into the board, then that is plugged into the RCA-f ends on the attenuator cables, then the XLR end is plugged into the AD-20.  The attenuator cables are short, like maybe 8-12" long.

Offline George

Yes.  The RCA end of the attenator cables are RCA-f.  So, I have a normal m-m RCA cable plugged into the board, then that is plugged into the RCA-f ends on the attenuator cables, then the XLR end is plugged into the AD-20.  The attenuator cables are short, like maybe 8-12" long.

sweet!  Thanks for the excellent description, i'll make a point to order these rca>xlr attenuators so i can start using them in the near future!  +T's all around in 12 hrs again.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
I would definitely question whether or not using the AD-20 is worthwhile.  You need major attenuation to drop a board level output to mic level (though it could be sonically neutral).  Then the AD-20 is bringing it back up with analog gain (not neutral) and doing the conversion with a ?10 year old? ADC.

I'd just go straight into the JB3 and use the 12 dB of attenuation available there.  Really, the JB3 a>d isn't horrible sounding or anything.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline George

I would definitely question whether or not using the AD-20 is worthwhile.  You need major attenuation to drop a board level output to mic level (though it could be sonically neutral).  Then the AD-20 is bringing it back up with analog gain (not neutral) and doing the conversion with a ?10 year old? ADC.

I'd just go straight into the JB3 and use the 12 dB of attenuation available there.  Really, the JB3 a>d isn't horrible sounding or anything.

True, i've never had any issues with the a>d section on the njb3, i guess i just wanted to put the ad20 to use. 

I'll probably wind up selling it soon on ts so someone else may put it to use...

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star

True, i've never had any issues with the a>d section on the njb3, i guess i just wanted to put the ad20 to use. 

what's up - got a pile of 9v batteries you're dying to drain?  ;)
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline George

what's up - got a pile of 9v batteries you're dying to drain?  ;)

lol...damn!  I do have a box of those fancy hospital grade suckers...guess the mv-100 will have to do   >:D

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com