Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: In Wall Speaker Wiring  (Read 5225 times)

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Padres Rule Your Face
In Wall Speaker Wiring
« on: December 09, 2005, 01:39:18 PM »
What are people using for higher end in wall wire?  I'm close to buying a condo and will have the ability to do a fair amount of electrical work (ok have an electrician do it for me- I wont screw with that stuff).  One thing I want is to have ports put in my walls for speaker wiring so I don't have cables all over the place.  What are people using for this sort of installation work?
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline krebsy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: In Wall Speaker Wiring
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 02:45:30 PM »
I don't know if this really qualifies as high end, but I just helped my brother run some Canare 4s8 in his new house. It was fairly easy to work with, and is decent cable. There are also some nice options out there for wall plates with binding posts. I was impressed with how clean it all looked when it was done. Good luck!!
"Two wrongs don't make a right. Three rights make a left."

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 03:08:55 PM »
I don't know if this really qualifies as high end, but I just helped my brother run some Canare 4s8 in his new house. It was fairly easy to work with, and is decent cable. There are also some nice options out there for wall plates with binding posts. I was impressed with how clean it all looked when it was done. Good luck!!

i've got a couple options out there for plates and posts, though i may see if i can get some directly from b&w for their home installation setup- try and use the same materials as are on my speakers.

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 04:39:27 PM »

Is this Canare product CL3 rated wire?  If you are having someone do the work they wil probably want to run the NEC CL3 rated stuff.  Link below to some decent wire as I've never seen "high end" in-wall wire.

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/speaker-cable.html#b-pl

The above is what I've used before (Liberty)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 08:42:44 PM »
If you have the room to make the required large bends, the best thing you can do is plumb the entire path with that tube/channel they use for laying fiber.  That will let you swap cable on a whim.  I know someone who did this.  Installing his surround wiring was a breeze and swapping in new cable is no trouble at all because you can just pull it though with the existing wire or a service run of nylon line.  His installation was all Signal Cable.  It sounds pretty good, if you like Sunfire>B&KW.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 06:03:23 PM by Lil' Kim Jong-Il »
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 02:13:42 PM »
good question...i have been thinking of the same thing!
 i am going to finish the basement in my place & obviously it will be the home theater type room.  once the 2x4s are in place i am thinking of drilling holes & running some pvc piping through the frames for easy wiring once the room is finished.
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 04:59:41 PM »

I ran Kimber Kable's in-wall speaker cable for my rear surrounds and I'm happy with it.  You can get a roll of it from Audio Advisor and it's not that expensive (compared to other Kimber products).  It has 4 separate conductors, and thus can support biwired speakers.
http://www.kimber.com/Products/LoudSpeakerCables/KWIK/KWIK.aspx

I can't tell you how it compares with other in wall speaker cables, since I have done no comparisions.  I just wanted to start with something that I wasn't wanting to switch out...ever!   :)

There is plenty of in-wall Monster cable on eBay, if you wanted to go for something cheaper.

Also, JPS Labs makes some in-wall cables....not sure of their prices.
http://www.jpslabs.com/superblue.shtml
..and if you are really looking to go crazy, you can drop $18/foot on their in-wall power cabling  :o
http://www.jpslabs.com/powercord.shtml#paciw

Later,
    pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 06:37:17 PM »
is there a diff b/w in wall speaker cable & standard cable?
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 08:44:00 PM »
is there a diff b/w in wall speaker cable & standard cable?

it's generally not coated with all the extra purty stuff that other cables are, but it should still be shielded i believe.

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 06:13:26 PM »
speaker cable doesn't carry a shield, line level does(2 pair individually shielded, for signal between systems, etc) 

conduit is generally run up to attic and or down to crawl/basement for future use.  in a condo/apt, run it back to that floor's distribution area if you can.  also, if you are able to get to your floor's distribution closet, run rendundant feeder of cat5e and rg6 quad to your distro panel in your unit.

if you run spk wire to for future use, mark it on your plans and take pics.  of course, run it through volume control locations.

whatever speaker cable you run, run it or buy it with cat5e for future IP use.

i wouldn't use the electrician, unless they have a dedicated low voltage dept.  hire an audio company.

jonny, i'll be up there this weekend to do this exact thing on a friend's apt on conn ave nw.  i could come by your place and check it out for you.  lmk

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2005, 08:50:36 PM »
John, I might be able to get into the place tomorrow if you want to see it.  I found 2 audio places that could do it as well, though I'd be happy to have you come up and do it instead.

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005, 05:52:28 PM »
you think i can use reg speaker wire when finishing the basement if:
i have access to the 2x4 frames > drill holes > run pvc piping?

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2005, 10:45:43 PM »

Sure you can, but whether it's up to your local building codes is a question for the code office (I think each county could differ?).  You may not even care about that, but it could bite you in the butt when you go to sell the home and the buyer's inspector says you need to get it to code before the sale is final.

Later,
   pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2005, 12:23:59 PM »
im going to have an installer do it and we will talk about cable when the time comes. 

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005, 03:40:57 AM »

phil, if you're going to commit to the speaker locations, then there's no reason to run conduit, imo.  i'd run conduit to the main system and/or outside for future use, and from the equipment area to the display device.  for your basement system, 16-14g cl3 wire should be sufficient.  stay at least 1ft away from paralell AC runs and cross them at 90° when possible.  leave enough length for service loops and mark all cables.  if you know where you want to put the speakers, get pre-construction brackets, then the speakers can go right up later, with no hunting arounf and drywall dust to deal with.
we all live downstream.

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2005, 05:40:01 PM »

phil, if you're going to commit to the speaker locations, then there's no reason to run conduit, imo.  i'd run conduit to the main system and/or outside for future use, and from the equipment area to the display device.  for your basement system, 16-14g cl3 wire should be sufficient.  stay at least 1ft away from paralell AC runs and cross them at 90° when possible.  leave enough length for service loops and mark all cables.  if you know where you want to put the speakers, get pre-construction brackets, then the speakers can go right up later, with no hunting arounf and drywall dust to deal with.

thanks john-
my g/f got a great quote from the builders her company uses of $130 to install all the cable including tv/internet into the basement.  i figure that may cost almost as much as the pvc/conduit.
i'll have to see if that includes material tho. 
i can't decide yet if i want to mount the rear speakers or put them on stands.  the front speakers will def be on stands...

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2005, 08:57:52 PM »
wow, cheap!  a good way to deal with the rears if you're still undecided is to wire them through the top position on the way to the box for stands.  at the potential top position, staple the wire from stub to stub a couple of times in a continuos 'Z' then terminate down below for potential stand placement.  now you know which studbay they're in and you can always find them with a tone generator later.
we all live downstream.

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2006, 06:44:55 PM »
here's what my $130 got me for a surround setup....this is super easy to do no doubt about it, but for $130 it seemed like a great deal.

The wall plate to connect everything to is very cool.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.127 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com