Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Benefits of Sonosax HD now that Microtracker is out?  (Read 4460 times)

Offline Charlies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Benefits of Sonosax HD now that Microtracker is out?
« on: January 19, 2006, 01:15:29 PM »
Hey all,

I've kind of put my head in the sand with thoughts of waiting out for the sonosax 2-channel HD recorder that is now way behind schedule. So, I haven't really looked into the 722 (too big) or any of the other new recorders and recorders/pre/adc combos that have come out. But the microtracker, because of its size, has piqued my interests.

What do you think the sonosax will bring that the others don't have? Or what would your suggestions be for me given the following:

1. I run JKLabs, which has a pre, so I don't need that.

2. A recorder that has a quality ADC on the other hand would be great, that way I could get rid of the sbm1/minime.

3.  I like small size for those special situations  ;D.

Thanks for helping me speed up my learning curve--it's amazing how quickly you can fall behind when you don't keep up with the sea of info in all of these threads.

-Charlies
AKG ck61/2/3->JK Labs actives and DVC V20->722
M148, Minime, Mod SBM-1, M1

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
Re: Benefits of Sonosax HD now that Microtracker is out?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 02:01:02 PM »
What do you think the sonosax will bring that the others don't have?
Maybe they will support seamless auto-open of a new file when an audio-file reaches 2GB?
(that would be a sign of quality)

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 03:23:22 PM »

I am quite sure the Sonosax HD will be much better quality and construction than the MT.  And it will probably work right out of the box unlike the MT.

And by the way I fucking lost my MT!  I think it fell out of my bag at a show, and it is long gone....

Occasionally....music mics record

ho

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 04:50:29 PM »

I am quite sure the Sonosax HD will be much better quality and construction than the MT.  And it will probably work right out of the box unlike the MT.

And by the way I fucking lost my MT!  I think it fell out of my bag at a show, and it is long gone....

What enables the MT from not working out of box?

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 05:40:01 PM »

Digi 24/96, many units won't even turn on out of the box, I had sample rate issues via digi in, no 2 gig autosplit (rendering 24/96 utterly useless...even 24/48 almost for that matter if its a long show) and I am sure there are more. I am sure they will be resolved, but 4 months after being released they have yet to engineer it right and still pumping out beta software. They fix one thing and that breaks another. I finally got fed-up with it and got a 722. Sure it costs significantly more, but it will do what its suppost to...and then some.

The Sonosax and MT should not even be compared. Like comparing a Ferrari to a Corverre. The 2 channel Sonosax will only be a CF recorder. While the other Sax will do 8 channels to a 40 gig internal drive I think?
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

ho

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 06:45:05 PM »

Digi 24/96, many units won't even turn on out of the box, I had sample rate issues via digi in, no 2 gig autosplit (rendering 24/96 utterly useless...even 24/48 almost for that matter if its a long show) and I am sure there are more. I am sure they will be resolved, but 4 months after being released they have yet to engineer it right and still pumping out beta software. They fix one thing and that breaks another. I finally got fed-up with it and got a 722. Sure it costs significantly more, but it will do what its suppost to...and then some.

The Sonosax and MT should not even be compared. Like comparing a Ferrari to a Corverre. The 2 channel Sonosax will only be a CF recorder. While the other Sax will do 8 channels to a 40 gig internal drive I think?
Didn't realize the MT had so many issues.. How much do you think the sax will go for?

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 08:43:05 AM »
My MT is working fine, shrug ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

RebelRebel

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 04:48:30 PM »
the 8 channel one will be  6'000.00(USD)
stores to internal HD. I think the 2 channel one will be 2-3 G.

Didn't realize the MT had so many issues.. How much do you think the sax will go for?

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 07:30:39 PM »
If they fix the 2GB split the MT will fullfill all my needs
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 07:09:10 PM »
yep. me too. 

If money weren't an issue i'd run the 722, of course.  But the MT will store the 1's and 0's off my V3 perfectly.

:)
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Charlies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 11:03:24 PM »
yep. me too. 

But the MT will store the 1's and 0's off my V3 perfectly.

:)

That's all I need, but one that made As into Ds would be perfect. Thanks all.
AKG ck61/2/3->JK Labs actives and DVC V20->722
M148, Minime, Mod SBM-1, M1

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 11:49:40 PM »
Howbaout a 'Lemosax HD' verison :D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com