Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Another Gear bag thread - suggestions wanted  (Read 1437 times)

Offline rustoleum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
Another Gear bag thread - suggestions wanted
« on: January 20, 2006, 02:40:50 PM »
Need a new gear bag... I've been running an LL Bean Rolling Shockwave for a bit and I love having wheels to cruise the gear in and out of shows, but it's just too big for what it gives me.  It's like this but with wheels:   http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=42883&sc1=Search&feat=sr

I've been laptop taping as long as I've had it, but for shows when I run the bag verticle there is no good way to run the laptop so that I can still see WaveLab and ensure that I'm getting a signal.  In the past I've just closed it and inserted it into the front pocket, but I've already killed a VX Pocket cable doing this (the locking connectors break) and still can't easily look at the display.

I have some ideas of the kind of bag I want and just need to find a bag that meets my goals.  Here's how I want to run:

I want to run the MiniMe verticle with Right angle connectors for XLR, digicable, etc... in this config the MME is ~12" high. 

I need a toploading bag so I can run the laptop horizontally with the screen open.  Taking into consideration the real estate of the VXPocket cable this means I need a bag ~7 inches deep (~9 if running MME in front or behind Vaio) and ~13-14 inches wide (15-16 inches wide running the MME to the right or left of the lappy as in the pic below).  I run a Vaio C1VN which is 6.25" by 10". 

I'll build the cage to sit in it.  This is where the laptop will sit during recording and in transit.  Underneath the cage will be reserved for mics, shockmounts, cables,batteries, etc when in transit.  Pockets on the side and front are a great bonus but not really a requirement.  Likewise, wheels would be great, but also not a requirement.

This thing is almost perfect but just doesn't seem to have quite enough real estate on the inside:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DJ-EQUIPMENT-GEMINI-EBT70-HEAVY-DUTY-ALBUM-BAG-WHEELS_W0QQitemZ7383832413QQcategoryZ29914QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If it had two more inches on either the depth (to run the MME in front or back of the Vaio) or in the width (for the MME to be left or right of the vaio) it'd be perfect... unfortunately it doesn't.  I hope I've given enough info to solicit some good suggestions. Any ideas?  Thanks!

Here's a shitty pic giving an idea (obviously not drawn to scale):

« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 02:51:37 PM by rustoleum »

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
Re: Another Gear bag thread - suggestions wanted
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 03:30:35 PM »
Good luck! This is part of the reason I parted with the MiniMe. I found I could get the MiniMe vertically in the main pocket of a Cairn and my laptop in the zip up pocket in the front, but I don't think this is what you had in mind.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

easy jim

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Another Gear bag thread - suggestions wanted
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 04:06:16 PM »
After numerous near misses with beer spills and drunken dancers kicking my gear, I am afraid of all soft gear bags. :-\ :'(

Pelican briefcase, all the way! ;D

I remember one day at Cal Expo, it was either Phish in '95 or Further Fest in '96, when a random f'ed up kid ran up the aisle in the center screaming and waving his arms and tried to kick/knock down several rigs.  I remember a couple stands going down and several folks gear in the back of the section getting kicked or severely covered in dust before a few of the tapers managed to grab the guy and practically carry him out of the section.  Anybody else on the list remember this?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com