Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Toys! Lite DAC 60  (Read 6860 times)

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
New Toys! Lite DAC 60
« on: February 08, 2006, 06:44:26 PM »
This was a total impulse buy for me.  For the money, it probably would have been smarter to buy a new sub, but I really like the idea of an outboard DAC (especially one with tubes).  I just hooked it up and I like what I'm hearing. 

http://www.gr-research.com/components/lite_dacs.htm

From the GR Research website:

The DAC-60 has a tube output with a 24bit 96kHz DAC D/A chip using BB famous 24-bit PCM1704U-K, DIF CS8414, digital filter is DF1704, VCO for low jitter, optical and coaxial input selectable with input frequency display. Two 6922EH tubes with sampling frequency display board, optical and coaxial input, Dale resistor, OS-con, etc, tubes are new and using audio grade components with two R-core power transformers.

I also decided to have the DAC mods from Sonic Craft:

The power supply for the dac chips, audio circuit,
> and B+ receive filter
> mods and improvements via Sonicaps, Rel
> Polystyrenes, and Black Gates.
> The Coupling positions received a big dose of the
> good stuff via
> increased values of Sonicap with Platinum bypasses.

I made ICs and power cords and purchased a maple amp stand from Timber Nation which is sitting on a set of Isoblocks from Mapleshade.

My playback is now Toshiba 3960>Monarchy DIP Upsampler>Lite DAC 60>Yamaha HTR5590>Soliloquy 5.0 monitors & a Yamaha subwoofer.

I'll post some pics soon.
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
Re: New Toys! Lite DAC 60
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 03:39:10 AM »
Any more specs on the DAC looks like a nifty little toy.

Really looking for any specs of the transformer(especially what voltage the internal board runs on) and basic audio specs

MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 07:32:25 AM »
i've wondered about that piece.  i'd like to compare it to some of the others sometime.
maybe i'll beg for one from them for a review.
:-)

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 07:45:14 AM »
Very good news.  As I posted on another thread, I have heard good things about the Dac-Ah.  Poth audio also sells them for $175.  I have been considering trying one, as the idea of 8 chips paralleled to increase linearity seems a solid one to me.

http://www.pothaudio.com/prod.php?view=20

Now the one you got I haven't seen before.  Excellent DAC chips, Simaudio has used them to great effect in the Eclipse LE I had and Nova I have now.  They also use the same chip/filter combo in their new Andromeda, which is an excellent machine, a little different than my Eclipse but really musical.

I think your next move should be a new transport, and IMO skip the Monarchy.  Grab a CEC belt-drive and hook it right to that DAC.  I bet it would be a little slice of heaven, for not much money.

Good find, +T

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 08:05:36 AM »
I sense a purchase soon...

thanks for the info guys.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 08:27:14 AM »

I think your next move should be a new transport, and IMO skip the Monarchy.  Grab a CEC belt-drive and hook it right to that DAC.  I bet it would be a little slice of heaven, for not much money.

Thanks for the advice.  New transport would be nice, but I also want a better sub and to eventually upgrade my amp/receever/HT processor.  It will be a while before I can afford any new toys after this purchase.  I'm going to burn in the DAC for the next several weeks and then do some A/B comparisons with the on-board DACs in the CD player and receiver. 
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 08:31:39 AM »
i've wondered about that piece.  i'd like to compare it to some of the others sometime.
maybe i'll beg for one from them for a review.
:-)

GR Research has at least one demo model that will be passed among interested people.  I don't know how it works.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 08:46:38 AM »
I have been following the thread on the low cost chinese dacs..  It is interesting.. But the hype is so over the top. People posting how amazing the sound is yet they don't have access to a decent DAC to compare with. It makes my BS detector go off and think that some of the hype is coming from people who are selling them, etc.

I understand what you are saying, from a methodological standpoint, but for my situation, I have no DAC, so anything is probably going to be an improvement!
 :)
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 02:33:13 PM »
Agreed, Freelunch.

lds490: Just keep the transport in your head.  GIGO philosophy, yes...  But I was shocked when I compared transports with my old dCS Delius.  The worst of the bunch, a CDP and a DVDP, made the Delius sound like nothing special.  The best of the bunch (dedicated transport & 1 particular CDP) made it sound really freaking great.  You really don't know what you're missing until you have a really great front end.  Tiefenbrun, although an analog zealot to a fault, had a point about "source first."

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 02:54:26 PM »
I have been following the thread on the low cost chinese dacs..  It is interesting.. But the hype is so over the top. People posting how amazing the sound is yet they don't have access to a decent DAC to compare with. It makes my BS detector go off and think that some of the hype is coming from people who are selling them, etc.

Nick needs to get reviewing!

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=139545&page=18

There is a lot of hype, but the prices on the units is reasonable enough for people to check them out for themselves.  When I purchased mine, one thing that did occur to me is I can sell it on Audiogon if it does not improve the sound (though it sounds like I should do A/B testing with good transport before making any decisions).  With all the hype, resale should not be too difficult.  But who am I kidding?  I seriously doubt I'll be selling it.

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 03:04:40 PM »
that 902 was seriously underpriced.  i was surpised to see it at that price
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2006, 10:43:35 AM »
Here's a couple of photos of my Lite DAC 60.  Unfortunately I don't have a good digital camera.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2006, 01:03:57 PM »
Does the monarchy unit make an audible differnce in your system?  I was thinking it might help the sound of my directv dvr, as it is rather crappy.  Secondly, just in case someone cannot afford to "buy american," the oem sells these units directly from China for quite a bit less.  I can dig up the link if you are interested.  For my money, I would send it to Danny.  However, I could understand wanting to go cheaper as well. 
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2006, 03:49:07 PM »
Does the monarchy unit make an audible differnce in your system?  I was thinking it might help the sound of my directv dvr, as it is rather crappy.  Secondly, just in case someone cannot afford to "buy american," the oem sells these units directly from China for quite a bit less.  I can dig up the link if you are interested.  For my money, I would send it to Danny.  However, I could understand wanting to go cheaper as well. 

I think the Monarchy DIP Upsampler does make an audible difference, especially because my digital source is a cheap Toshiba DVD player.    It is supposed to reduce jitter as well as upsample to 24/96.  Redbook CDs seem to benefit, while I don't notice much effect with 24/96 recordings.

I plan on running some A/B comparisons with and without the DIP soon, as well as A/B comparisons of the DAC 60 vs. the on-board DAC in my receiver.  I plan to have some music freak friends over for a listening session.  None of us are "audiophiles" but we've all been seeing shows since the early 1980's.  I'll post the results when I get to it.

I'm with you regarding Danny (GR Research).  He really knows his stuff.  I don't think there is much of a mark-up on the DACs from China and I was happy to have him deal with the OEM and also with taking care of the mods.  I just pulled the trigger on a new subwoofer that uses the GR Research driver and passive radiator with a custom cabinet.  I'll post some pictures when I get it in a few weeks after I receive the unit.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2006, 10:52:58 AM »
The difference is about 100 bucks.  For my 100 bucks, I call Danny and know my money is going to a good place.  Have you talked to him on the phone before?  He has by far the strongest southern accent I have ever heard.  When he called here the first time I was like om my god ;D
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com