Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new Sony MD deck in the works...very taper friendly  (Read 21326 times)

Offline robin0112358

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • theatre of noise
Re: new Sony MD deck in the works...very taper friendly
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2006, 06:53:08 AM »
While 2GB discs may not be physically possible perhaps they could develop an ATRAC lossless..or something...and the would expand disc capacity.  Even if it was only a jump up to 120-125 min that would be perfect for almost any show.

As others note: ATRAC lossless exists. But anyway, you can get many hours on one disk at the next-to-perfect setting and I'm not sure why you'd need better than that for taping a live show.

I continue to cover MD issues at my site, and have an update on this new model here.
Theatre of Noise contains info on recorders and mics. Plus rants about film, observations on politics, and other stuff.

Offline dunebug81

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2006, 05:23:39 PM »
While 2GB discs may not be physically possible perhaps they could develop an ATRAC lossless..or something...and the would expand disc capacity.  Even if it was only a jump up to 120-125 min that would be perfect for almost any show.

As others note: ATRAC lossless exists. But anyway, you can get many hours on one disk at the next-to-perfect setting and I'm not sure why you'd need better than that for taping a live show.

I continue to cover MD issues at my site, and have an update on this new model here.

I know it exists..I ment developed for a recording setting not just a setting in Sonic Stage. 

The reason I want to use PCM rather then HI-SP is because I typically am right up front in front of a speaker and the bass is booming.  The PCM will handle in the most insane bass levels where the HI-SP doesn't.  Ive tested this at a show where I did half a set in PCM and the other half in HI-SP and the PCM has much better low end.

I'm referring to bass at an arena show such as NIN during "Burn" "The Line Beings To Blur" "Reptile" songs which are pretty bass heavy.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline robin0112358

• Taperssection Newbie
    • theatre of noise
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2006, 07:05:00 PM »
The reason I want to use PCM rather then HI-SP is because I typically am right up front in front of a speaker and the bass is booming.  The PCM will handle in the most insane bass levels where the HI-SP doesn't.  Ive tested this at a show where I did half a set in PCM and the other half in HI-SP and the PCM has much better low end.

Interesting. I would have definitely assumed that the pre-amp or even mic would bottom-out before the encoding. Perhaps though you are using an external pre?

In any case, I cannot argue with your experience and it is indeed informative to know this can be a problem.
Theatre of Noise contains info on recorders and mics. Plus rants about film, observations on politics, and other stuff.

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2006, 10:00:16 PM »

Interesting. I would have definitely assumed that the pre-amp or even mic would bottom-out before the encoding. Perhaps though you are using an external pre?

In any case, I cannot argue with your experience and it is indeed informative to know this can be a problem.

Im running DPA4061s > MMA6000 > MD.  Even when I was using my CSBs I would notice the difference in the low end.  For most shows I have no problems running in HI-SP.  Its great for festivals and other all day events to get almost 9 hours on a single 1GB disc.  Typically Ill tape in HISP for the openers and PCM for the headliner unless its someone I really like opening or Im out of 1GB discs and will stand a little farther back and run in HISP.

Of course it could just be in my head in which case just ignore me :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 10:01:49 PM by dunebug81 »
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline Laurent

• Taperssection Newbie
  • >:D Ninja
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2006, 02:17:28 PM »
Any idea about when does this unit come out?
Sound Professionals SP-CMC-4 AT853 (c/h/o) > Church Audio CA-9100 > Zoom F1
Stock UA-5

Offline stober

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2006, 02:49:27 PM »
its allready out

Offline Laurent

• Taperssection Newbie
  • >:D Ninja
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2006, 04:26:57 PM »
its allready out
Well, sorry, I am confused here...
I have first been told that SONY-MZ-RH1 was expected to be available on the 3rd week of may (this week). But looking at SP site they are still in pre-order mode, expecting to send them in june and someone even told me that they won't be there before july ??? Available? Or not?
Sound Professionals SP-CMC-4 AT853 (c/h/o) > Church Audio CA-9100 > Zoom F1
Stock UA-5

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2006, 04:30:15 PM »
its allready out
Well, sorry, I am confused here...
I have first been told that SONY-MZ-RH1 was expected to be available on the 3rd week of may (this week). But looking at SP site they are still in pre-order mode, expecting to send them in june and someone even told me that they won't be there before july ??? Available? Or not?

These guys would probably know: http://minidisco.com/ 1-877-MD-ROBOT, either that or call SP.
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2006, 04:35:02 AM »

I know it exists..I ment developed for a recording setting not just a setting in Sonic Stage. 

I'm referring to bass at an arena show such as NIN during "Burn" "The Line Beings To Blur" "Reptile" songs which are pretty bass heavy.

Wouldnt a pair of higher quality mics solve this problem?  maybe some cardiods?

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2006, 02:13:03 PM »

Wouldnt a pair of higher quality mics solve this problem?  maybe some cardiods?

Ive got DPA4061s w/ the MMA6000 I would think those are good enough for just about anything.  I could pick up something in the cardiods flavor but I like the way the 4061s sound and spent so much money on something that I dont use a whole lot that I cant really justify spending a few hundred more another another type of mic.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2006, 06:33:59 PM »
Wouldnt a pair of higher quality mics Schoeps solve this problem?  maybe some cardiods with an NBox?

I corrected for what you meant to say ;)
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2006, 07:25:31 PM »
Wouldnt a pair of higher quality mics Schoeps solve this problem?  maybe some cardiods with an NBox?

hahahahaahhaahaha...funny shizzle.

I think youz gotz itz right

I actually was thinking of the Church Audio mics for him.  They are the smart, inexpensive, cardiod solution 

rspenser:  I want to send you a recent recording I have done.  pm me if interested please.

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2006, 11:58:16 AM »

hahahahaahhaahaha...funny shizzle.

I think youz gotz itz right

I actually was thinking of the Church Audio mics for him.  They are the smart, inexpensive, cardiod solution 

rspenser:  I want to send you a recent recording I have done.  pm me if interested please.

I also should mention that I really like being right up front for any show especially an arena show.  I like the thump of the kick drum making my chest rumble.

So this new MD is out in Japan but minidisco doesnt have it listed.  I dont think its worth spending the extra $100+ importing it so has anyone seen another site that has it for sale?
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline dmbdreamingtree

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2006, 12:51:54 AM »
hey all, im brand spakin new to taping...i really want to get into taping and would like to know if this model, Sony Net MD Walkman MZ-N707 type R MDLP, would be ok for taping shows?  any help would be great

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.372 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com