Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone here use reels?  (Read 10158 times)

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
Anyone here use reels?
« on: March 20, 2006, 11:23:04 PM »
Just wondering if anyone here has any experience running to tape, specifically the Otari 1/4 tape machines (MX5050, etc).

Drop me a line if so!
Dirk
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Anyone here use reels?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 11:27:17 PM »
Just wondering if anyone here has any experience running to tape, specifically the Otari 1/4 tape machines (MX5050, etc).

Drop me a line if so!
Dirk

I've got an old Teac 1/4" tape machine, with a busted capstan and a slight motor issue.  Haven't had time lately to devote much time to it but I'd love to get it running again.

What's your question? 

Heath (on this board) makes a living working with tape machines, if I am not mistaken.  I have seen him in related threads before...
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 10:22:40 AM »
Thinking about maybe going to tape for mixdowns, for that "analog" sound.  Never worked with them before so I was mostly just curious if anyone on this board had any familiarity.  As specific Q's come up I'm sure I'll be posting them!

Thanks,
Dirk

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 12:17:04 PM »
Thinking about maybe going to tape for mixdowns, for that "analog" sound.  Never worked with them before so I was mostly just curious if anyone on this board had any familiarity.  As specific Q's come up I'm sure I'll be posting them!

Thanks,
Dirk

I know of a few studios that do this, sort of.  What they do is track to 2" tape, and then fly those tracks into protools.  Pretty clumsy setup but some people can't let go of analog tape.  Those records sound great too.

I know that tiny telephone studios in San Fran does this.  www.tinytelephone.com
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 09:24:36 PM »

Thanks,
Dirk

I know of a few studios that do this, sort of.  What they do is track to 2" tape, and then fly those tracks into protools.  Pretty clumsy setup but some people can't let go of analog tape.  Those records sound great too.

I've always heard the opposite - tracking in pro-tools, and mixing to analog.  ymmv though
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline shruggy1987

• Taperssection Member
  • Team Ithaca
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 06:45:09 AM »
i really want this someday:
http://www.audioprojpg.com/sp9.html
SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 (coax out) > M-Audio Microtrack
SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 > MacBook Pro

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 10:30:23 AM »

I've always heard the opposite - tracking in pro-tools, and mixing to analog.  ymmv though

Both are equally possible.  In my case I'm currently mixing a record and because we have tape machines available, it just occurred to me to give this a shot.  I know there are quite a few people here in Nashville who track to PTHD and then mix it all down to tape.  Then they run it back in for mastering (or send the reels out for mastering).

Everything was tracked in Nuendo, but the band are all "old school" and the idea of going to tape is appealing.

Don't need any advice or anything; just curious if anyone here had any experience with stuff like this.  I'm a child of the multi-track cassette generation myself - missed out on the reel boom.

Thanks,
Dirk

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 11:41:34 AM »

Both are equally possible.  In my case I'm currently mixing a record and because we have tape machines available, it just occurred to me to give this a shot.  I know there are quite a few people here in Nashville who track to PTHD and then mix it all down to tape.  Then they run it back in for mastering (or send the reels out for mastering).

Everything was tracked in Nuendo, but the band are all "old school" and the idea of going to tape is appealing.

Don't need any advice or anything; just curious if anyone here had any experience with stuff like this.  I'm a child of the multi-track cassette generation myself - missed out on the reel boom.

Thanks,
Dirk

i will say from experience that punching in and out of tape SUCKS.

tape can also get very expensive.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

RebelRebel

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 12:10:16 PM »
I have a friend who wants to sell me a r2r, Ill probably grab it. I love what it does to a mixdown....
all my favorite classical recordings were done on tape.(decca, DG, Telarc)

Thanks,
Dirk

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 12:31:38 PM »
I have a friend who wants to sell me a r2r, Ill probably grab it. I love what it does to a mixdown....

Yes, and in case what I'm saying above is not clear - we are probably going to mix down all the recorded tracks from Nuendo onto the reels.  We won't be punching in or cutting anything directly to tape (thank God!)

Dirk

RebelRebel

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 01:08:45 PM »
you know it would be fun! ;D

Yes, and in case what I'm saying above is not clear - we are probably going to mix down all the recorded tracks from Nuendo onto the reels.  We won't be punching in or cutting anything directly to tape (thank God!)

Dirk

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 06:51:02 PM »
i had two fostex model 80 1/4" 8 track machines that i really liked. i tried to sell one on this board a few years back. i switched to and still use adat, but there are days i wish i had the tape back.
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Brian

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 07:11:21 PM »

Thanks,
Dirk

really? :o yikes!  i'd like to think you heard wrong.  It seems that lots of studios, record to 2" tape, mix in Pro Tools(or hopefully something else), and then record to a two track analog master.  However that could explain the plethora of shitty sounding albums out there today.

The last album i mixed we recorded to RADAR24 > mixed on a DDA console > Studer 1/4" 2 track.  Mastering to analog REALLY evened out the sound and gave a nice warm feel.  The natural compression is nice!

Since you recorded straight to Nuendo you won't have to worry about that Pro Tools sound :-X

My dream setup is an Studer 24 Track with an Neve Designed 48 channel / 8 Bus console, all analog compression and EQ in the racks, two EMT plates, and an Ampex MTR102 for the master 2 track machine.  :drool:  The only thing digital would probaly be delay units if i needed something longer than what a random tape machine could provide.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 07:14:43 PM by Brian Sax »

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 08:10:15 PM »
My dream setup is an Studer 24 Track with an Neve Designed 48 channel / 8 Bus console, all analog compression and EQ in the racks, two EMT plates, and an Ampex MTR102 for the master 2 track machine:drool:  The only thing digital would probaly be delay units if i needed something longer than what a random tape machine could provide.

:clapping: :headphones:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com