Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Amp Question...  (Read 6088 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Amp Question...
« on: April 06, 2006, 10:36:33 AM »
I am considering adding an amp to my playback and looking for some input.  My system as it stands today is detailed below:

Sony DA3000ES
Pioneer Elite DV-45A
Monster HTS 3500 MKII
Tannoy M3 fronts (specs below)

10 to 90 watts per channel
Sensitivity 88dB
Nominal impedance 8 ohms
Frequency response 35Hz to 20kHz
LF driver 160mm
HF driver 25mm soft dome
Enclosure type front ported reflex
Dimensions 850h x 203w x 270d
Weight 9.7kg

Boston Acoustics Center
Bose Satellite rears

What I am considering doing is trying to find a 2 channel amp to use for my 2 channel playback, but would not impact my ability to use the system as a surround setup as well.  I know the first suggestion will be to upgrade the speakers, but (1) I am a big fan of the way they sound, and (2) when I do upgrade, I want to be in my next house so that i can get a bigger room to house a larger "per square inch" type speaker (possibly VR-2s or VR-4Jrs) as I dont have alot of room for something bigger sizewise.

So I guess what benefits could I see from the inclusion of an amp into my playback, and any suggestions as to a model/manuf I should look at?  Thanks in advance for all input!

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Amp Question...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 12:54:02 PM »
I'm really thinking about the UCD based amps from Ric Schultz (EVS)   www.tweakaudio.com   

If I make this next round of cuts I may order a couple mono's

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 03:53:00 PM »
There are tons of amps out there. If you get a 2 channel model, you could always add a 3 channel amp later to complete a 5:1 system. Or there are several brands of small mono amps that seem to be directed towards HT, you could buy two now and get more as they are needed. The Outlaw Audio 2200 and Marantz MA500 come to mind.
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html
MA500's seem to pop up on ebay and audiogon regularly.

Some good bang for the buck solid-state brands are Adcom, Rotel, NAD, musical fidelity, parasound. I have a Adcom GFA555 mkii that I picked up on ebay for just under $500 shipped that I am really happy with, 200 wpc into 8 ohms, a real powerhouse for the price.

Hope this helps, there are so many brands of amps out there that this only touches the surface.

Happy listening!
Ben
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 03:54:47 PM »
what's the budget here?
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 03:57:47 PM »
Thanks for the info Ben!  so let me ask a dumb question...if I run the outs of my receiver to a 2 channel amp, is there a way where I can still run 5.1, with just the 2 fronts going out of the amp and the center and rears coming out of the receiver?

as for budget, probably looking to stay in the realm of the system I am running currently..something in the $500-$1k range...

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 04:12:31 PM »
Thanks for the info Ben!  so let me ask a dumb question...if I run the outs of my receiver to a 2 channel amp, is there a way where I can still run 5.1, with just the 2 fronts going out of the amp and the center and rears coming out of the receiver?

as for budget, probably looking to stay in the realm of the system I am running currently..something in the $500-$1k range...

if your sony has preamp outs, send the pre outs from it for the front 2 channels to the inputs of a 2 channel amp.  then keep the other 3 channels as is running off the sony

then your system will use the new amp for the fronts and the sony for the other 3 channels

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 05:44:49 PM »
the sony 3000es DOES have pre amp outs (front, surround, & surround back).
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 05:52:22 PM »
Pretty sure you are not looking for an integrated - that being said - I have seen a few Plinius 8200's on Agon in the $1200 range - gotta keep your eye out - but it is a really nice piece...
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 06:36:29 PM »
Thanks Scott and Dre, you guys answered it for me!

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 06:43:42 PM »
I have a musical fidelity integrated (A220) and I think it totally rules.  I'd fluff musical fidelity products all day long.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline jacallery

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 09:47:14 PM »
Check out the Nuforce line of class d monoblock amps.  They sound really nice and are only 6 lbs each, and the
size of a large book each.  The older models Model 8 or Model 8.2's can be had on audiogon for around $800 a pair
used.  They are 100w RMS so they wount be way to much for your speakers.   The newer Model 9's are 120w RMS
 They also put out relatively no heat since they are class D and you really never have to turn them on.

schoeps mk41/mk5+cmc6xt>Nagra V (24/96)

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 07:01:44 AM »
Check out the Nuforce line of class d monoblock amps.  They sound really nice and are only 6 lbs each, and the
size of a large book each.  The older models Model 8 or Model 8.2's can be had on audiogon for around $800 a pair
used.  They are 100w RMS so they wount be way to much for your speakers.   The newer Model 9's are 120w RMS
 They also put out relatively no heat since they are class D and you really never have to turn them on.

If you don't listen to the radio these would probably be nice.  Have some serious issues with FM.  Something to do with the output filters or lack of.  Many are choosing the UCD based class D amps.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 09:54:04 AM »
anyone have any experience with Carver products?  I see that there is a TFM-15 2 channel power amp up on audiogon...thoughts?

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1149593398

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 11:13:48 AM »
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1147815726

you could make a lowball offer and see what that guy says

600 canadian is like 520 US.  i've seen these things sell for the 300s on ebay, so try a low offer and see what he says.  can't hurt

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2006, 12:44:00 PM »
I think that is pretty high for a 15 series, they are decent amps. John has a TFM-35 & I have used it in my system way back when, for the right money they are a solid choice with PLENTY of power.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 12:45:38 PM by carlbeck »
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com