Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Amp Question...  (Read 6087 times)

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
Re: Amp Question...
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2006, 03:03:16 PM »
anyone have any experience with Carver products?  I see that there is a TFM-15 2 channel power amp up on audiogon...thoughts?

FWIW, Might want to email and see what year it is from.

I think Bob Carver is a badass when it comes to power amps, always liked his stuff.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline jacallery

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2006, 11:37:49 PM »
If you don't listen to the radio these would probably be nice.  Have some serious issues with FM.  Something to do with the output filters or lack of.  Many are choosing the UCD based class D amps.

I think I have heard of this before.  I can't remember the last time a radio was used in my house.  Rarely use it in my car now
that I am a sirius owner.     ....is FM still around ;)
schoeps mk41/mk5+cmc6xt>Nagra V (24/96)

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2006, 11:55:17 PM »
The input is on the back of the amp.
Hope that helps :_)

I am considering adding an amp to my playback and looking for some input.  My system as it stands today is detailed below:

Sony DA3000ES
Pioneer Elite DV-45A
Monster HTS 3500 MKII
Tannoy M3 fronts (specs below)

10 to 90 watts per channel
Sensitivity 88dB
Nominal impedance 8 ohms
Frequency response 35Hz to 20kHz
LF driver 160mm
HF driver 25mm soft dome
Enclosure type front ported reflex
Dimensions 850h x 203w x 270d
Weight 9.7kg

Boston Acoustics Center
Bose Satellite rears

What I am considering doing is trying to find a 2 channel amp to use for my 2 channel playback, but would not impact my ability to use the system as a surround setup as well.  I know the first suggestion will be to upgrade the speakers, but (1) I am a big fan of the way they sound, and (2) when I do upgrade, I want to be in my next house so that i can get a bigger room to house a larger "per square inch" type speaker (possibly VR-2s or VR-4Jrs) as I dont have alot of room for something bigger sizewise.

So I guess what benefits could I see from the inclusion of an amp into my playback, and any suggestions as to a model/manuf I should look at?  Thanks in advance for all input!

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2006, 11:56:24 PM »

They are great until you have to fix them the switching mode power supply is a real giant pain in the ass.

anyone have any experience with Carver products?  I see that there is a TFM-15 2 channel power amp up on audiogon...thoughts?

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1149593398

Offline Wiggler

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2006, 08:15:35 AM »
If you don't listen to the radio these would probably be nice.  Have some serious issues with FM.  Something to do with the output filters or lack of.  Many are choosing the UCD based class D amps.

I think I have heard of this before.  I can't remember the last time a radio was used in my house.  Rarely use it in my car now
that I am a sirius owner.     ....is FM still around ;)

Callery get yourself a good Magnum Dynalab analog tuner you will love Fm it smokes on Sirius.
Digital Fm tuners are all cheap crap but the Magnum Dynalab Analog tuners sound fantastic.
http://www.magnumdynalab.com/

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2006, 08:21:55 AM »
I have been loving analog once again (turntable) & it can NOT be beat but I think more importantly is the fact that their isn't anything worth listening too on FM  ;D
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Wiggler

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2006, 08:41:43 AM »
I have been loving analog once again (turntable) & it can NOT be beat but I think more importantly is the fact that their isn't anything worth listening too on FM  ;D

Agreed most Fm is garbage. I got lucky we have one good Fm station Wdet in the Detroit area and in the evenings  Ed Love has a show called Destination Jazz.
All Jazz and it's public radio so you don't get all the commercials.  He is a old timer in the jazz scene and really puts on a great show.  I'm a novice at jazz so I'm learning by listening to his show.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2006, 10:44:03 AM »
so he posted some pictures of the actual unit...looks like this thing has quite a few scratches on it..unless he came down in pricing I will be passing...

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2006, 11:27:06 AM »

Agreed most Fm is garbage. I got lucky we have one good Fm station Wdet in the Detroit area and in the evenings  Ed Love has a show called Destination Jazz.
All Jazz and it's public radio so you don't get all the commercials.  He is a old timer in the jazz scene and really puts on a great show.  I'm a novice at jazz so I'm learning by listening to his show.

um, stop by team michigan sometime!  :)  Its disappointing that they changed their format at wdet.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com