Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: its really a shame that...  (Read 6419 times)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
its really a shame that...
« on: November 17, 2006, 11:22:24 AM »
the Tosh 4960 is such a piece... Mine was still playing discs, but the skip forward/back functions stopped working altogether, and it was driving me crazy.... so I hooked up my old phillips cd player/burner unit so I could rock some cds, and its noticably less quality than the 4960.  Burr-Brown rulz.  cheap crap droolz!

I'd like to pick up another one, or the samsung equivalent, but I think I'm just going to live with the phillips until I collect enough scratch for a DAC... at which point I'll be integrating a pc into my system.   

enough rambling.  RIP pfife's 4960.  I'll miss you terribly.... kinda...

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: its really a shame that...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 10:08:23 PM »
3960+Bel Canto 2.0 leaves me happy. I'd like a nice player but there's always a need for money elsewhere...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 10:17:37 PM »
Get the Oppo 970 or wait for the 981 early next year.  It will have 1080P upconversion and all the audio goodies.  Those Toshibas are a POS!

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 07:55:54 AM »
i'm running a new POS toshiba universal.
great picture
pretty good SACD playback
PCM is transport only, as its internal DAC sounds terrible.

$80 !
can't go wrong.
model number SD-6980

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 08:28:40 AM »
i'm running a new POS toshiba universal.
great picture
pretty good SACD playback
PCM is transport only, as its internal DAC sounds terrible.

$80 !
can't go wrong.
model number SD-6980

How do you get "pretty good SACD playback" if "internal DAC sounds terrible"??

I got one of those Toshiba's for my living room and it sucked.  Gave to my brother and it has since crapped out on him.

I've really been thinking of getting the Oppo digital to run 480i into a scaler and use it also as a universal.  I just don't know if it will work as a decent transport to feed a nice DAC for 2 channel. 

I'm guessing the Onyko SP1000 will best it in all areas, so I will probably keep it.  Eventually it will be a dedicated transport and universal, once I find something decent that sends 480i via HDMI.  Or I might just SDI mod the Onkyo.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 08:57:17 AM »
because the SACD sounds better than redbook or DVDA analog output.  so, therefore I say SACD sounds pretty good, but not awesome or anything.
but when i run digi out into my integrated amp, and can push buttons between the two (analog output vs. digital), I can easily hear how sucky PCM playback is on this thing.  can't do that w/SACD, and to my ear it sounds much better than redbook on this player.

its 1080i picture is what I bought it for.  the universal playing aspect is just a bonus. 

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 10:17:53 AM »

How do you get "pretty good SACD playback" if "internal DAC sounds terrible"??

aren't different DAC's required for SACD playback?  or do some players go DSD>PCM>DAC?

i have this sony dvd/sacd player.  I listen to cd's via digi-out to my receiver.  the sacd playback sounds pretty good.  video quality is okay, but is nothing phenomenal.  i basically bought it because it's relatively inexpensive, has sacd playback and dvd upsampling.  i'd say at under $200, it does a decent job.  At some point, i will upgrade this piece, but it's fine for now.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 11:50:49 AM »
as per Sony....
I'd like to have one of the dvp9100es SACD / DVD decks.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 01:47:21 PM »
Get the Oppo 970 or wait for the 981 early next year.  It will have 1080P upconversion and all the audio goodies.  Those Toshibas are a POS!

see, and you're gonna think I'm a dumbass, but my audio and video systems are seperate.   This is the player for my audio system, which is solely 2 channel.   I'd like it to play DVD-As, for my shows, but if I integrate a pc, then I won't need that.  I'm actually considering getting a nice CD player.

I have them seperate b/c I really like my living room, which we vowed to keep TV-less.   Its where I have all of my plants,large window, natural sun... and its a rather peaceful room to listen to death metal in... :lol:

« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 01:49:52 PM by pfife »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 04:05:01 PM »

see, and you're gonna think I'm a dumbass, but my audio and video systems are seperate.   This is the player for my audio system, which is solely 2 channel.   I'd like it to play DVD-As, for my shows, but if I integrate a pc, then I won't need that.  I'm actually considering getting a nice CD player.

I have them seperate b/c I really like my living room, which we vowed to keep TV-less.   Its where I have all of my plants,large window, natural sun... and its a rather peaceful room to listen to death metal in... :lol:

nope, not a duymbass - I have seperate video/audio rigs as well....
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 05:54:08 PM »

see, and you're gonna think I'm a dumbass, but my audio and video systems are seperate.   This is the player for my audio system, which is solely 2 channel.   I'd like it to play DVD-As, for my shows, but if I integrate a pc, then I won't need that.  I'm actually considering getting a nice CD player.

Why would I think you are a dumbarse for having 2 systems?  I wish I could do the same, but space is limited.  Our living room is for unwinding at night.  If it is a player for you audio system I'd spend the extra cash and get a nice universal.

My next home will have a dedicated HT and 2 channel room.... I hope. 8)

BobW

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 01:55:29 PM »
If you can live without SACD the Harman Kardon DVD-31 is impressive for audio.
Decent build quality as well
My Tosh is holding up well for the 'rents, where it landed after I decided that I wouldn't invest in any SACDs.
They use it almost 100% for video. Which would be, like three or four plays per month    :P

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 11:09:47 AM »
I just hooked up a 400mhz pc to the amp, using a Zoltrix Nightingale 6 sound card, analog out to the amp, and it sounds just as good, if not better, than the cd player....

I've been of the opinion that a nice DAC to go between the computer and amp might rule, but I'm also starting to think that a squeezebox might be a more economical and practical idea...

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 09:37:29 AM »
AND....
can also be your DAC.  digi out from the Zoltrix into the SB3, and its fairly decent sounding from what i've read.
Stereophile posted it to their 60 best componants of 2006, so its got to be good .
roll eyes...

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 11:43:00 PM »
AND....
can also be your DAC.  digi out from the Zoltrix into the SB3, and its fairly decent sounding from what i've read.
Stereophile posted it to their 60 best componants of 2006, so its got to be good .
roll eyes...

woah, seriously?   :o It has digital inputs?!?   I had no idea!   At any rate, if I get an SB3, it would most likely replace the zoltrix, but I could run my cd player through it....  :hmmm:

Edit - I'm not seeing any inputs on the SB3...  ???
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 11:46:02 PM by pfife »

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com