Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 9v module battery life + rolloff  (Read 3349 times)

Offline Adam.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
9v module battery life + rolloff
« on: December 30, 2006, 03:06:30 AM »
I just retired my rig which has done me well over the last 50 odd gigs:

And bought a new one:

SP-CMC-2 + SP hat mount + 9V battery module which will plug in nicely to the top of the iRiver.

I'm intending to make my own module, since I think they're stupidly overpriced and in most cases, oversized. I'm using this wiring diagram:

(is there anything wrong with that?)

I don't want any roll-off, so do I just remove the capacitors all together or what?

Also since I don't know what current the mics will be drawing, what sort of battery life could I expect from a standard 9V battery? And how will I know when it's depleted, short of breaking out the tounge before every gig?

Cheers.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 03:08:54 AM by Adam. »

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
Re: 9v module battery life + rolloff
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 03:32:57 AM »

I don't want any roll-off, so do I just remove the capacitors all together or what?

I'm sure someone more technical than myself will chime in, however I have found the CMC2s not particularly bass-heavy, and never use bass-roll off anyway.

Also since I don't know what current the mics will be drawing, what sort of battery life could I expect from a standard 9V battery?

I use a standard Sound Pro battery box and they recommend you change the battery after 500 hours use or one year. I've run it a fair bit longer than one year, and found that the recordings eventually distort which tells you when to change the battery..

Can't you wire it so that it breaks the circuit when the mics are withdrawn? Nothing worse then being in a venue with a dead battery and no way of obtaining one.

And how will I know when it's depleted, short of breaking out the tounge before every gig?

Those Duracell PP9V packs often contain a separate battery tester strip (well in the UK they do!) If the indicator is not fully (or nearly fully) "lit" after 20 seconds, chuck the battery away.

Hope that helps, and good luck building the bb.

Cheers

Alex
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 03:37:35 AM by Humbug »
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline beefstew

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 02:24:47 PM »
*Audio*
Mics:
SP-CMC-19
Panasonic WM61a

Recorders:
MZ-RH910 (Hi-MD)
Sony TC-WE435 (CASS)

*Video*
Canon ZR-500 [Mini DV]
54" Tripod

I spend most of my money on gambling, booze, and women. The rest i spend foolishly.

Offline Adam.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 07:16:59 PM »
Thanks people! Much appreciated.

beefstew, I read through that thread and didn't really get a clear answer. So basically with this formula for working out which capacitor you use:

fc = 1 / (2 * Pi * R * C)

To make fc smaller (no rolloff I assume), you increase C, ie use a higher capacity capacitor?

Too easy!

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 08:52:16 PM »
Thanks people! Much appreciated.

beefstew, I read through that thread and didn't really get a clear answer. So basically with this formula for working out which capacitor you use:

fc = 1 / (2 * Pi * R * C)

To make fc smaller (no rolloff I assume), you increase C, ie use a higher capacity capacitor?

Too easy!

Adam use a 330pf cap for a roll off around 80hz or so. EDIT I ment to say 330nF not Pf Make sure you get a nice Mylar one. I would also recommend you don't bother with the bass roll off on the mics you have because they do not have that much to begin with.

Good luck with your recordings T+ for making such a strange rig :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 11:41:48 AM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com