Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Spectral Heaven  (Read 3779 times)

Offline SonicSound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Spectral Heaven
« on: February 20, 2007, 07:46:22 PM »
In the beginning of the year I decided to upgrade my monitors for some floor standing very very close to full range speakers (Dali MS4).  After that change I got the bug.  So I set out to audition some new gear.  My current system is all tube based (d/a, pre, amp), which I have owned for over 10 years.    My initial direction was to continue to go vacuum, however I was given the opportunity to try out some interesting solid state equipment.

After listing to some high end tube equipment including Conrad Johnson,  I have come to the conclusion that I am going to go solid state for the next decade.  This is all thanks to Dr. Keith Johnson and the other folks at Spectral.

If you are in the market for some very high-end/reference electronics, I would highly recommend that you audition Spectral gear.  If you do, I would further recommend that you check out a full Spectral system.(including MIT cables).

I have fallen in love with Spectral!
Has anyone else had the same experience as I am having?
SD: Schoeps  M222/NT222's & CMC6's - MK 41V's, 21's, 5's, 8's
LD: Microtech Gefell UM900's, Shure KSM44's
V3, 744t

Online Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
Re: Spectral Heaven
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 08:21:54 PM »
I've heard the Spectral> Dali.  Very very close to "real", and that's what I strive for in playback.  And this is from a 10 yr old 16 bit CD front end... wondering what a nice 24bit player/dac or drive-based front will do to the sound???

Last week I brought the Sony DA7100ES over to comp against the Spectral.  The Spectral Pre+Power had a noticeably wider/deeper image with better separation of the instruments.  The Sony wasn't completely blown away, it was probably 90% there for only 20% of the cost.  Wish I hadn't heard it, now I know what I'm missing.   :-\
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 07:44:33 AM »
Von Schweikert voices their speakers w/Spectral gear.
I've always wanted one of those amps.
:)

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 08:19:04 AM »
Von Schweikert voices their speakers w/Spectral gear.
I've always wanted one of those amps.
:)

I thought they used Spectron Musician III's

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 12:06:48 PM »
spectral...spectron...
hey...they don't call it dope for nothing.

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 05:11:25 PM »
Yup, it's Spectron for sure
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline SonicSound

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 05:59:35 PM »
They sould switch to Spectral ;)
V3, 744t

Offline Weirdness

• Taperssection Regular
  • ...driftin' and dreamin'...
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 11:17:28 AM »
Hey there!
     I have heard great things about the Spectral gear, ultra wide bandwith apparently and not coloured in any given direction which is right up my alley.  I'm curious as to how you like the Dali MS4's???  I have been auditioning speakers for the past few weeks and these were definitely impressive although the room that I heard them in was less than ideal and the speakers were not properly broken in which made for a less than ideal audition which may be clouding my judgement.  I really fell in love with the ribbon/soft dome tweeter module, that speaker reproduced percussion more realistically than anything else that I heard. 

Offline SonicSound

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 03:27:28 PM »
The first time I listened to the MS4's was at a local home dealer’s family room.  The room was atrocious!  It was a large square room with an all glass front wall.  There was a 6'x6' glass coffee table between the listening position and the speakers.  There were two huge chairs mirroring the sweet spot line and the speakers were placed about 1ft off the back wall.  To say that I was not impressed is an understatement.  I knew that it was the room that was affecting my judgment of these speakers.  After several conversations will people who had owned and/or auditioned these speakers, I acted on a local pair for sale.  Once I got them home and set up I was not at all disappointed.  I obviously have somewhat of a bias opinion.

Craig T can we get your unbiased opinion????

I have been trying to get Craig to bring his VR’s over to do a comparison.  He keeps complaining that they are too heavy  :P

I am more that impressed and satisfied with the spectral gear.  It is very natural and holographic.  The inter detail is mind blowing. 

I would highly recommend this gear!

Were you able to comp the MS4's with another pair of speakers?

Hey there!
     I have heard great things about the Spectral gear, ultra wide bandwith apparently and not coloured in any given direction which is right up my alley.  I'm curious as to how you like the Dali MS4's???  I have been auditioning speakers for the past few weeks and these were definitely impressive although the room that I heard them in was less than ideal and the speakers were not properly broken in which made for a less than ideal audition which may be clouding my judgement.  I really fell in love with the ribbon/soft dome tweeter module, that speaker reproduced percussion more realistically than anything else that I heard. 
V3, 744t

Offline SonicSound

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 05:49:43 PM »
Here is a picture of the inside of a Spectral DMC-30S.  This is on loan until my DMC-30SL is shipped.

I will try to take some better picture (i.e., better lighting)
V3, 744t

Offline SonicSound

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 06:51:59 PM »
Here are a few of the DALI's....

V3, 744t

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.152 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com