Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Church transformer based pre  (Read 85073 times)

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: Church transformer based pre
« Reply #120 on: March 04, 2007, 06:52:39 PM »
I said it before, and I'll say it again: You really need something flexible, like 6-14VDC.  Look at what all the other "field" gear runs on (Apogee, Grace, etc).  That way you can run on 12V, like car batteries or SLA, on DVD-type batteries, or on *any* wall wart you can find.  The extra cost to get a *low current* +/-12V from 6-14VDC input is money well spend IMO.  I do like the idea of keeping the batteries separate, though.  Battery technologoy is always changing, batteries wear out, and there are vastly different needs out there (eg., stealth vs festivals vs installed sound, etc).

Anyway, good luck with the project.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #121 on: March 04, 2007, 07:07:54 PM »
Well, the "wallmart" batts are no longer available at wallmart.  Ebay is the only place now to purchase. 

What happened to 12v? 

I am just toying with ideas.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2007, 07:09:47 PM »
I said it before, and I'll say it again: You really need something flexible, like 6-14VDC. 

QFT
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #123 on: March 04, 2007, 07:15:42 PM »
I said it before, and I'll say it again: You really need something flexible, like 6-14VDC.  Look at what all the other "field" gear runs on (Apogee, Grace, etc).  That way you can run on 12V, like car batteries or SLA, on DVD-type batteries, or on *any* wall wart you can find.  The extra cost to get a *low current* +/-12V from 6-14VDC input is money well spend IMO.  I do like the idea of keeping the batteries separate, though.  Battery technologoy is always changing, batteries wear out, and there are vastly different needs out there (eg., stealth vs festivals vs installed sound, etc).

Anyway, good luck with the project.

Richard

It will be flexible. But I also have a chance to design something from the ground floor so to speak. Its great to have ideas. But in the end I cant please everyone. I just want to find the best way of doing this with having to cheat so much with a switching power supply. If I can convince people to run with two small battery packs and get 18volts great. This preamp will still run from 12v but It will run better and longer on 18volts. I am just playing around with ideas. Nothing is written in stone. I think two batteries in series is ok. But some might not.

I think with the price of batteries these days its not a big deal I am not going to make this product for the stealth market because I dont think to many people will stealth with a XLR based microphone.. Besides I already have a nice little preamp for the stealth market. I have decided that this preamp is going to be for the guys that have a gear bag and want a nice preamp to go into there nice recorder and run there nice microphones. I cant make this one product do everything. Some people say run it from AC as soon as I do that I need CSA/UL stickers at $50 a sticker approx it gets expensive. So I have decided it will run from some form of rechargeable battery pack that can be purchased off the shelf by the end user.

I am after all in the preamp business. I have no desire what so ever to get into supplying batteries and dealing with warranty issues that arise from that whole mess. This is what keeps my costs down and the retail price lower.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #124 on: March 04, 2007, 07:22:06 PM »
I said it before, and I'll say it again: You really need something flexible, like 6-14VDC. 

QFT

Well it would be great if I could make it run from the power of the sun  :P But to be honest it needs a certain amount of voltage and its not going to be below 12 volts. If I lose customers that's ok because this preamp has to perform. After all whats the biggest complaint with preamps that run from a 9 volt source? The phantom supply sucks... So I need more power Scottie :) Its easy to say it should run from sun flower oil but building it is something entirely different. I sold about 1,500 preamps and maybe 1,000 pairs of mics in the last three years. I know how to make something so it will perform to my expectations and I just don't feel that 6-9volts is a place where I can go with out compromising the design. I am not willing to do that for the sake of a few more customers, I cant.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #125 on: March 04, 2007, 07:29:46 PM »
do WHATEVER it takes to make a quality and rugged portable preamp

it its 12v, cool. there are easy NIMH and Lion powering options available so........SLA's are a thing of the past......
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #126 on: March 04, 2007, 11:28:31 PM »
Focus young grasshopper

Remember  K.I.S.S.

Keep it simple stupid......

don't over complicate it. 

T+ for the work your doing.

DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2007, 07:54:47 AM »
do WHATEVER it takes to make a quality and rugged portable preamp

it its 12v, cool. there are easy NIMH and Lion powering options available so........SLA's are a thing of the past......

Why are sla's a thing of the past ? I still use one for my sax with confidence ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #128 on: March 05, 2007, 07:56:17 AM »

QFT

Well it would be great if I could make it run from the power of the sun  :P But to be honest it needs a certain amount of voltage and its not going to be below 12 volts. If I lose customers that's ok because this preamp has to perform. After all whats the biggest complaint with preamps that run from a 9 volt source? The phantom supply sucks... So I need more power Scottie :) Its easy to say it should run from sun flower oil but building it is something entirely different. I sold about 1,500 preamps and maybe 1,000 pairs of mics in the last three years. I know how to make something so it will perform to my expectations and I just don't feel that 6-9volts is a place where I can go with out compromising the design. I am not willing to do that for the sake of a few more customers, I cant.

Make your power supply however you want, I am sure we'll adapt to however we want to power it ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #129 on: March 05, 2007, 11:33:29 AM »
After all whats the biggest complaint with preamps that run from a 9 volt source? The phantom supply sucks... So I need more power Scottie :)

Chris, the Lunatec V3 (and the V2, for that matter) run off of any 6V - 12V battery.  many folks use a 7V or 9V Li-ion or NiMH battery (personally, I use a 6V lead-acid battery for my V3).  do you really think that the phantom power supply in the V3 is not great?  don't take this as a slam, as I'm really just interested in your opinion.  I already have an opinion, based on over 3 years of using the V3.  but my opinion certainly isn't as technically informed as your opinion.

on the the flip side, a lot of people will tell you that one of the reasons why the oade m148 sounds so great is the internal batteries that supply 48V directly, thus a very clean source of power with no DC-DC voltage conversions.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #130 on: March 05, 2007, 11:40:01 AM »
After all whats the biggest complaint with preamps that run from a 9 volt source? The phantom supply sucks... So I need more power Scottie :)

Chris, the Lunatec V3 (and the V2, for that matter) run off of any 6V - 12V battery.  many folks use a 7V or 9V Li-ion or NiMH battery (personally, I use a 6V lead-acid battery for my V3).  do you really think that the phantom power supply in the V3 is not great?  don't take this as a slam, as I'm really just interested in your opinion.  I already have an opinion, based on over 3 years of using the V3.  but my opinion certainly isn't as technically informed as your opinion.

on the the flip side, a lot of people will tell you that one of the reasons why the oade m148 sounds so great is the internal batteries that supply 48V directly, thus a very clean source of power with no DC-DC voltage conversions.

I really dont know if the V3 is good or not I have never tested or used a v3 I can say however the amount of "voodoo" it takes to turn 6 volts into 48 is crazy.. I personally dont think its a good idea. But that's just me.

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #131 on: March 05, 2007, 01:49:04 PM »
I really dont know if the V3 is good or not I have never tested or used a v3 I can say however the amount of "voodoo" it takes to turn 6 volts into 48 is crazy.. I personally dont think its a good idea. But that's just me.

Seems to me, the more voodoo that you do, the more this thing will cost.

Make your power supply however you want, I am sure we'll adapt to however we want to power it ...

Yup.
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #132 on: March 15, 2007, 11:41:37 PM »
I have taken the first step and ordered the transformers... They should be here next week some time. Thats the easy part lol.

Offline oleg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
« Reply #133 on: March 16, 2007, 04:25:17 AM »

most of profesional eng/efp gear runs 6-18 v
the sqn  will go down to 5 without any degration  on mic preformers with 48 v as long you suply the current
not that it the best place switching up converters  but compromise is the the name of the game sometimes
thesd mix pre use 3.5  v internal bat for 48  and it sound decent to my ears with schopses stocked in

if you build something at least make it in the range of 11-18 v to take benefit from litium ion cells which are
3,7 nominal  and when complete charge are 4.2-4.4

oleg kaizerman(gebe)hollyland
kaizeroaudio-rentals -sound for film/tv sales

schoepses, gefells, sankens, sennheisers....all kind of shit ....ends with deva 16  fusion ,zfr,788, 744, hhb
http://groups.google.com/group/sellbuyexchange-film-videoaudiogear

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #134 on: March 16, 2007, 09:28:13 AM »

most of profesional eng/efp gear runs 6-18 v
the sqn  will go down to 5 without any degration  on mic preformers with 48 v as long you suply the current
not that it the best place switching up converters  but compromise is the the name of the game sometimes
thesd mix pre use 3.5  v internal bat for 48  and it sound decent to my ears with schopses stocked in

if you build something at least make it in the range of 11-18 v to take benefit from litium ion cells which are
3,7 nominal  and when complete charge are 4.2-4.4

I dont really want to make something that is like what most professional gear. I want to make something that is the best I can build and has no compromises as far as operating voltage goes. Now that I have some help with the power supply I am pretty confident that this will happen. I have a target voltage range of 9 volts to 15 or 18volts. This is where this product is going to be designed. I could try to make a product that would run off anything, but at some point in time I just have to call it a day and do what I feel is best.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.125 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com