Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Church transformer based pre  (Read 85475 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: Church transformer based pre
« Reply #180 on: May 07, 2007, 06:47:35 PM »
The dreaded screw driver... I used to have a Mini-Me and thats how I had to adjust the gain for line level signals... I have a DMIC-20 that I have to use a screw driver to change the toggled gain steps...  

Actually I'll bet most will be using this pre-amp into another pre-amp/ AD converter, so the balance can be controlled by the second unit.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #181 on: May 07, 2007, 06:49:12 PM »
The dreaded screw driver... I used to have a Mini-Me and thats how I had to adjust the gain for line level signals... I have a DMIC-20 that I have to use a screw driver to change the toggled gain steps...  

Actually I'll bet most will be using this pre-amp into another pre-amp/ AD converter, so the balance can be controlled by the second unit.

I would be using this into a mini me.  Double screwdriver action  :P ;D

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #182 on: May 07, 2007, 06:54:42 PM »

Well then we might have a bunch of options. I say use the fine adjustment on the preamp then you can "calibrate your stereo mics" so they are both the same level and not have to worry about doing anything on the second unit. Like I said before we cant please everyone. But maybe we can offer different options.. That might be a way to make most of the people happy.. I am all for that but I have to make sure I can get the "parts" when a customer says I want this or that.. It all costs money to have these things sitting on a shelf until a customer wants them. So I try to use off the shelf parts that are in high demand so that our supply chain never gets screwed up and the customer is never stuck waiting for "our" parts to come in.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #183 on: May 07, 2007, 07:39:01 PM »

Well then we might have a bunch of options. I say use the fine adjustment on the preamp then you can "calibrate your stereo mics" so they are both the same level and not have to worry about doing anything on the second unit. Like I said before we cant please everyone. But maybe we can offer different options.. That might be a way to make most of the people happy.. I am all for that but I have to make sure I can get the "parts" when a customer says I want this or that.. It all costs money to have these things sitting on a shelf until a customer wants them. So I try to use off the shelf parts that are in high demand so that our supply chain never gets screwed up and the customer is never stuck waiting for "our" parts to come in.

Chris..honestly...build your prototype the way that you think would work best.  IF/When you get the demand for more...then you can worry about customization based on that customer.  until then...just a stock box would be great...b/c everyone can work with what they have.  no box will ever be perfect for everyone.  8)
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline eclark

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • eclark @ archive.org
« Reply #184 on: May 08, 2007, 12:12:42 AM »
+t to chris for helping me customize my st9100 preamp just how i wanted it! im really pumped to see this final project. keep up the work!
akg 460b + ck61 (-10db) > MixPre-D > Sony PCM M10

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #185 on: May 08, 2007, 08:22:09 AM »
I say use the fine adjustment on the preamp then you can "calibrate your stereo mics" so they are both the same level and not have to worry about doing anything on the second unit.

Would that pot be in the signal path as an attenuator or would it alter the gain?

I think the fine adjustment for balance is a good idea. Though I don't stress about mic balance much at all (my mics are matched).  Plus I switch between mics so any balance correction.  If you really wanted to get jiggy with it you could have resistor modules that inserted into the pre with each one having a different correction dialed in.. but again, I'm not sure mic imbalance is a common problem.

Offline roggae

• Taperssection Regular
  • "Gay for Trey"
« Reply #186 on: May 08, 2007, 08:47:27 AM »
Regarding the stealthy preamp you are speaking of:

Would it be possible to make the preamp so that it could power both 48v and 9v mics (with a switch).  I realize the impedance would be off, but would it still work?  That would be fantastic for people with both types of mics.  Just a thought...

mlsc1->iRiver

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #187 on: May 08, 2007, 09:42:41 AM »
I say use the fine adjustment on the preamp then you can "calibrate your stereo mics" so they are both the same level and not have to worry about doing anything on the second unit.

Would that pot be in the signal path as an attenuator or would it alter the gain?

I think the fine adjustment for balance is a good idea. Though I don't stress about mic balance much at all (my mics are matched).  Plus I switch between mics so any balance correction.  If you really wanted to get jiggy with it you could have resistor modules that inserted into the pre with each one having a different correction dialed in.. but again, I'm not sure mic imbalance is a common problem.

With 60 db of gain you need a true gain pot.. This preamp will have a true gain pot + a 20db pad.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #188 on: May 08, 2007, 09:46:16 AM »

Would it be possible to make the preamp so that it could power both 48v and 9v mics (with a switch).  I realize the impedance would be off, but would it still work?  That would be fantastic for people with both types of mics.  Just a thought...

No if people want to use electret mics with it they will need impedance converters/phantom to 10volt adaptors.
The stealth preamp will be totally designed to drive balanced loads with a phantom powered mic..
The phantom power will be switchable on or off.. So people with powered mics that dont need phantom can use this preamp.

Chris

Offline roggae

• Taperssection Regular
  • "Gay for Trey"
« Reply #189 on: May 08, 2007, 09:51:20 AM »

No if people want to use electret mics with it they will need impedance converters/phantom to 10volt adaptors.
The stealth preamp will be totally designed to drive balanced loads with a phantom powered mic..
The phantom power will be switchable on or off.. So people with powered mics that dont need phantom can use this preamp.

Chris

I figured as much.  Thanks.
mlsc1->iRiver

Offline MLKLuke

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • going going...but never GONE!
    • MLK Audio
« Reply #190 on: May 08, 2007, 05:54:08 PM »

Chris

will it include also a small ADC inside or maybe it's asking too much for a stealth device?  ;D
MLK - Luke
Mics: Schoeps MK4+Nbob Actives / AT853 (H,C,SC) / DPA 4061
Power: Tinybox v2.5 / 3-Wire BBox / CA-9200 3W / CA-UBB
Recorders: R05 / R09HR / Pocketrak C24 / Tascam DR2D
My Recordings

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #191 on: May 08, 2007, 06:02:44 PM »
who needs that ?
all of the "stealth decks" have good A/Ds in them.

Offline silence

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #192 on: May 09, 2007, 11:10:57 PM »
Hey Chris, you should run this idea by the folks on Gearslutz location recording board and Yahoo Nature recordists. While the Gearslutz folks, many of whom  are on this site will probably have similar requests, the nature recordists are also looking for a small self powered stereo pre. These folks are looking for field rugged, low noise and high gain. As well as the pro's and hobbyists, there are several film/audio school instructors who are always looking for inexpensive recording options for their classes. 

Chris - This is an excellent idea.  and double your audience

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #193 on: May 24, 2007, 12:33:45 AM »
June is approaching fast.. I can't wait to see pictures of the proto type!!!!
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #194 on: May 24, 2007, 12:57:39 AM »
June is approaching fast.. I can't wait to see pictures of the proto type!!!!
I think we are about 2 months away from a prototype. But one never knows... :)

Chris

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com