Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: m148 Problem :(  (Read 18277 times)

Offline Dutchman1101

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Needs to get out more...
m148 Problem :(
« on: February 25, 2007, 02:11:38 PM »
I'm having a weird problem and I'm pretty sure it's the 148. I have had this happen to me the last two shows I have taped. Around the encore the levels just drop. Last night it was quite drastic. The first time it happened it was gradual with no dramatic drop that I can hear. Last night it was quite drastic. During the last song before the encore the volume just drops suddenly. Then during the encore (witch was loud as fuck) the 671 was peaking at 12db.

Is it the m148 ??? Has anyone had this problem before? I'm thinking it could be the voltage dropping in the 148.

I run MBHO’s > m148 > PMD-671.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: m148 Problem :(
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 02:22:17 PM »
sounds like a battery issue
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 02:26:51 PM »
sounds like a battery issue

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. To be honest I have always noticed somewhat of a slight fade in levels throughout a show but I just chalked it up to the sound guy turning it down ::) Now it's just really dramatic :'(

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 02:27:49 PM »
I'm having a weird problem and I'm pretty sure it's the 148. I have had this happen to me the last two shows I have taped. Around the encore the levels just drop. Last night it was quite drastic. The first time it happened it was gradual with no dramatic drop that I can hear. Last night it was quite drastic. During the last song before the encore the volume just drops suddenly. Then during the encore (witch was loud as fuck) the 671 was peaking at 12db.

Is it the m148 ??? Has anyone had this problem before? I'm thinking it could be the voltage dropping in the 148.

I run MBHO’s > m148 > PMD-671.

send her back to Doug for a battery once-over
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 02:33:32 PM »
For sure! I just had them replaced by him in April or May of last year so I'm sure he'll be cool about it. This just pisses me off becuase I have a ton of good shows coming up with no preamp >:( I guess I'll have to see what the pre's are like in the stock 671 ??? :-\
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 02:37:04 PM by Dutchman1101 »

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 02:42:54 PM »
For sure! I just had them replaced by him in April or May of last year so I'm sure he'll be cool about it. This just pisses me off becuase I have a ton of good shows coming up with no preamp >:( I guess I'll have to see what the pre's are like in the stock 671 ??? :-\
you don't want to use the stock pre in the 671.  you can borrow my t+ ua5 if you pay for shipping both ways and agree to replace it if you fuck it up. lmk.

+T to you Tim for saving his ass
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline THE NIZ BIAAAAACH!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Mr T don't partake in no sombrero activities!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 02:48:29 PM »
Yo, you can replace the batteries your self really easy.  If you need help come up her to breck one day and I'll help, or we can wire it for an external.
mk21+mk4>kc5>cmc6>portico 5012>722
24\96 in your ass bitches!

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 03:12:00 PM »
Yo, you can replace the batteries your self really easy.  If you need help come up her to breck one day and I'll help, or we can wire it for an external.

+T for the offer Adam, but I just had them replaced by Doug not to long ago so I'm just going to send it back to him. I'm also going to have him check everything else while he has it.

Edit: Can you wire them to take external power? I've never heard of that. I dont see why not :hmmm:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 03:16:09 PM by Dutchman1101 »

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 03:12:30 PM »
you don't want to use the stock pre in the 671.  you can borrow my t+ ua5 if you pay for shipping both ways and agree to replace it if you fuck it up. lmk.

PM sent! +T!

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 05:31:11 PM »

Edit: Can you wire them to take external power? I've never heard of that. I dont see why not :hmmm:

I've never heard of being able to do this.  The only drawback I could see is that Doug used these batteries for their low noise, correct?  So using a lion or similar may introduce some unwanted noise?
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 07:30:28 PM »
Gee Harrison, you have had your share of troubles lately. +T for the troubles. Before sending it out to Doug, you should test it. Do you have a Volt Ohm Meter?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 08:18:10 PM »
Gee Harrison, you have had your share of troubles lately. +T for the troubles. Before sending it out to Doug, you should test it. Do you have a Volt Ohm Meter?

Tell me about it Chuck. +T backatcha. Nothing has been going right lately. I don't have voltmeter. I just did a test and the levels dropped again so I'm definitely calling Doug Tomorrow.

Harrison

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 11:44:35 AM »
I just talked to Mr. Oade and he said he has never heard of that B4 and he thinks it is the 671. He has heard of someone else having that problem with the 671. Something to do with the gain knob. He said to do a test with the 671 from a stereo or something and see if it happens. Here's hoping it's something easy like that.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 12:11:36 PM »
Harrison:

Do yourself a favour. Go to Radio Shack right now. Get the cheapest analog Volt Ohm meter they have. It's less than $15. Run your rig until you experience a problem... Then,  measure the voltage across PINS 1 and 2 on the XLR outputs of the M148. PIN 1 negative, PIN 2 positive. If the voltage is close to 48, like 47- 52v, the m148 is not the problem. Hell, I have a VOM I can give you. I think you should have one.

Chuck
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 12:35:30 PM »
Harrison:

Do yourself a favour. Go to Radio Shack right now. Get the cheapest analog Volt Ohm meter they have. It's less than $15. Run your rig until you experience a problem... Then,  measure the voltage across PINS 1 and 2 on the XLR outputs of the M148. PIN 1 negative, PIN 2 positive. If the voltage is close to 48, like 47- 52v, the m148 is not the problem. Hell, I have a VOM I can give you. I think you should have one.

Chuck

That's probably not a bad idea Chuck. +T for the advice.

Let me know what you guys think about this. I guess I kind of forgot to mention this. As a matter of fact I forgot until I talked to Doug this morning. When the levels dropped I turned the gain knob about from maybe 4 to 5 and the levels went somewhat back to normal. That kind of sounds like something with the 671 but I'm not sure. Doug was saying that the person that had a similar problem had something go wrong with the contact points or something like that with the gain knob. I'll do some tests and let you guys know what I find.

Harrison

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com